Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Whats it take to open Scotland?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Genuine question and not flaming or trolling.

The Lecht looked to have had a good covering earlier this week and the piste machines were out on the webcams yesterday. Over night (and still are) the webcams show even more snow falling. As tomorrow is forecast to be fairly good weather why are they not opening?

Heavy rain is forecast early Sat morning so even if the ski traffic were to kill the snow tomorrow, what's it matter as it'll prob of been mostly washed away and be green by Sunday anyway?

Is it staffing problems, how many staff are needed to open just 2 lifts say?
Is it base issues but I thought the Lecht was mostly grass with very few rocks (unlike cairngorm, which I understand not opening)?
Lack of footfall? Although with the interest on social media I'm sure with a reduced lift pass a good few would attend.
Are the lifts not ready? Surely the lifts closest to the car park have had their annual maintenance?

Purely interested as I certainly cant make it up there but I cant understand why they wouldn't take the revenue if the chance is there. Ski passes plus income from the cafe and ski hire must cover the costs of opening so there must be genuine reasons they cant open?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Staff is likely an issue, ski patrol staff are probably harder to get for 1-2 days this early on as well
That combined with the warmish weather forecast making it marginal after tomorrow, the lift maintenance may be an issue or maybe not.

They are usually pretty swift at getting open though, have you emailed them or asked on their FB page why they wont open, i'm sure you will get a more accurate response
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
geeo wrote:

They are usually pretty swift at getting open though, have you emailed them or asked on their FB page why they wont open, i'm sure you will get a more accurate response

As I say I've no chance of getting up so I'm not gonna start bothering them with emails and FB stated yesterday "not enough snow, cold weather not set to last". Although today, more positively, they state "runs filling in, roads open"...perhaps I've jumped the gun and they will open tomorrow?!?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
The Lecht must have some permanent staff in order to run the dry slope, the owner used to live on site.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Costs, staff, snowbase, and weather.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Glenshee are still doing their seasonal recruitment so almost certainly staff availability is an issue. I'd imagine the other issue will be the base. It will be very thin once it is compacted.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ha, ha. Primary reason for not opening is due to lack of base yet, just soft snow resting upon rocks, heather etc meantime. Less of an issue at the Lecht where heathery slopes so can usually open pretty quickly (and they're open as often as they can be; also some staff stay up at the centre), other centres are fairly rocky so need a packed base.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Just seen Raise in the lake district was up and running yesterday.

I'll be very surprised if there is any base left by Sunday at the Lecht, which made me ask the question as to why not just let us on to cut it up and make a few quid. I obviously hope Im wrong and all this prep work pays dividends and they get a good base for for the cold spell expected next week!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@manicpb, The main problem at the Lecht is that the access roads get blocked very easily.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Well there we go...they plan to open 4, maybe 5, lifts tomorrow!

Can't help but think today would have been a much more pleasant day to open and I hope there's actually complete pistes after tonight's rain...but fair play to them for making the call and opening something. Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy