Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anything better or similar to courchevel 1850 ?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi!

I went to Courchevel this year on early April and we had fun time there,

We are looking for another place, which has good number of green slopes as we are all beginners and something quiet.

I prefer somewhere in Austria or France,

Thanks !!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Saalbach is a resort I visit every year. Lots of wonderful skiing and not too crazy.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
BinGhanem, if Courchevel was fun and it suited you, then i would suggest you go back there.
No need to go to a different resort every time.
And you will get far more out of the place having been there before: you know the runs, the best bars and restaurants, where to stay.
As a beginner i went to Obergurgl 4 years running.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@BinGhanem, I'm heading to Courchevel 1850 for the fourth time in a row this March. The reason is I have two young kids (4 and 6) and I have not found a better resort for the amount of gentle slopes there are for beginners. I have been to many resorts and did a season in La Plagne (a resort known as an intermediates paradise) but I just find the familiarity of returning to the same place is great for the confidence of my kids, which is something so important for less experienced skiers.

In short, I'd suggest going back to Courchevel Very Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Courchevel really is one of the best for beginners in my experience (I've had lots in my family!) - so it was a good choice and worth choosing again, there are also lots of suitable blues to progress to as well (eg over to 1650 or to La Tania). Montgenevre is worth looking at if you want long reliably gentle greens in France that are not just tracks.
Some resorts don't use 4 colour piste classification - I don't know any in Austria that do. So places with lots easy blues suitable for a 2nd weeker include Les Arcs/Vallandry (France). But

if you are looking for lots of easy runs and a change from Courchevel, I would recommend Corvara/Alta Badia in Italy which has a great piste network in stunning (really stunning scenery of the Dolomites). If you are confident 2nd weekers though I would say almost any resort would do and maybe you should look at some other criteria (ie suited to when you are going, resort charm, nightlife, proximity to slopes, on slope food...) - sorry if that not helpful!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Zermatt;
Lech;
Klosters;
St Moritz;
Gstaad.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Alpe d'Huez has lots of greens leading back into resort.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Go back to Courchevel, it's brilliant!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I also haven't been anywhere that had a better "Green Playground"....I'd also go back. If you do, Ski Supreme is an excellent ski school. https://supremeski.com/en/courchevel
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
defintely can't get better than 1850 for learning, we'll be back there again this season for the 7th time (and 8th probably), although staying in la tania as it's cheaper Wink

plenty more challenging pistes too.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I guess we'll be going back to Courchevel then Smile

Which time is quiet there? went on April, but I think I was there during some holiday, the day I left was amazing, everyone was leaving and it was quiet, I think I left around 20ish April, almost the end of the season.

thanks for the reply !!!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I love the end of the season. Empty slopes, sun and beer.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Anywhere on the Sella Ronde in the Dolomites will give you miles and miles of easy style flattering blue and green runs.

Arabba or Badia will do or if you want a little more nightlife Val Gardena.

As a bonus the scenery is fantastic.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@BinGhanem,

BinGhanem wrote:
Hi!

I prefer somewhere in Austria or France,

Typical SH thread... everyone starts suggesting Italy!
If you'd asked about Italy, people would advise France and Austria.

Austrian resorts don't use the green grading, so the blue runs on an Austrian piste map you could think of as either blue or green. As second week skiers, you will want to branch out a bit more I would think.
Going in April, it's probably a good idea to go somewhere with altitude, maybe Obertauern or Obergurgl (1930m)
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'll second HoneyBunny's point about Alpe d'Huez having plenty of green runs, including a wide area down into the resort.
snow report
There's nowhere quite like Courchevel 1850. Several brilliant ski schools to choose from, too - don't stop taking lessons. snowHead
snow report
There are definitely prettier resorts than Courchevel 1850, with at least equal facilities and skiing and snow, also for novices.

Lech/Oberlech for example. Not just a bit prettier than Courchevel....
ski holidays
Quote:

There are definitely prettier resorts than Courchevel 1850

Oh sure, it's not pretty though some of those swanky chalets are pretty nice! My son cooked in one with a horizon swimming pool, an enormous cinema and a gym. Amongst other amenities. The guests were six members of a 3 generation Russian family who spoke practically no English or French. Laughing They bought their own caviar from Moscow.

None of the 3V centres could be called "pretty". Meribel is sometimes described as pretty, but then so is Val d'Isere. rolling eyes

But the OP wasn't looking for pretty. He was looking for "quiet" and if his timing is flexible I'd go for late March in Courchevel.

My gripe with Courchevel is the enormous prices you pay, even for something like a coffee and croissant, and even if you avoid the properly expensive places. When we bought our apartment we were just doing a bit of a road trip, after a week in Courchevel 1650. It was January. Wonderful sunny weather but poor snow. When we found somewhere with good skiing, snow better than anywhere in the 3V and coffee half the price, we were hooked!
snow conditions
Is smoking still allowed in Austrian bars?
latest report
+1 for Ski Supreme
latest report
Montgenevre.

Lovely little resort, quiet runs, nice long easy greens and blues, snow sure even in April.
and a fair bit cheaper than the 3 valleys.
ski holidays
Morzine or le gets is good for beginners though not late season. Zell am See ok and has a nice town, though also low.
snow conditions
TBH - If you can live with the prices Courchevel 1850 is hard to beat as an all round package. I haven't been back for 12 years and not sure when I will be there again but the combination of convenience and quality of skiing for all abilities is rather unusual I think
ski holidays
Zermatt for me is hard to beat and that's after being a long standing Courch visitor...I've now been converted to the Swiss side.
latest report
For piste skiing across a range of abilities and for beginners very hard to beat Courchevel. The only caveat is of course the price and it's only going to hurt more this time with the poor exchange rate. If money is no object stay put. Otherwise les arc, la plagne -belle plagne specifically, Alpe d huez meet your criteria. I'm sure thee are plenty of Austrian resorts that meet your criteria also.
ski holidays
So I keep hearing people talk of the prices being so expensive, but for me this is all dependent on how extravagant you want to be. We are going with Esprit. It's a fixed price in sterling, half board with wine at dinner (and usually beyond). For lunch we grab a baguette and some ham and cheese from the supermarket and eat it on the hill (for me there is no better mountain restaurant) or back at the hotel if it's bad weather.
We have done this the last few years and it makes the resort no more expensive than any of the other big ski areas.
It's as cheap as you want to make it.
ski holidays
plenty of cheaper places to eat in the 3v's there's several threads on it.

Be interesting to see what the courchneige is like this year with new owners.
ski holidays
@russ_e, Yes
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

So I keep hearing people talk of the prices being so expensive, but for me this is all dependent on how extravagant you want to be. We are going with Esprit. It's a fixed price in sterling, half board with wine at dinner (and usually beyond). For lunch we grab a baguette and some ham and cheese from the supermarket and eat it on the hill (for me there is no better mountain restaurant) or back at the hotel if it's bad weather.
We have done this the last few years and it makes the resort no more expensive than any of the other big ski areas.

That's very fair although you do pay more for accommodation in Courchevel than most other big French resorts. Ski schools and hire also seemed a bit pricer in 1850 but not an issue if you have your own gear and don't take lessons.

When I used to ski in 3V I was pretty impoverished (student, saisonaire then in first "proper" job) but used to go early January to minimise costs and did as you suggest (baguettes for lunch). These days a good mountain restaurant lunch (table service) is one of the skiing pleasures. We tend to self-cater and have a light meal in the evening occasionally supplemented by a restaurant trip or a takeaway pizza. Where we ski (Les Contamines) there are some excellent mountain restaurants, in general better than the ones in the village, so it makes even more sense.
ski holidays
sorry to reopen the subject, my friends are not looking for fancy place, more like small resort with less people. So I have been suggested by some friends Sainte Foy, in france on mid of March, small resort, beginner area, probably two green slopes and some blue, I also contacted a school there, they said it is very quiet which I think it's good for us.

Yes, it is oposite of courchevel, but I feel it is great place to practise with people prefer to have quiet places other than crowded places like courchevel or st moritz

anyone been there can confirm this ?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy