Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Backpack Help!!

Poster: A snowHead
In the process of buying my first backpack for off piste and confused as hell!! Do not want too big and bulky but must be able to accommodate all safety equipment, shovel etc and carry skis on back. Must double up as "carry on" luggage on plane and carry a ski boot. How big do I need? 20 - 30 L would seem to do it. HELP! Superskier.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Get a 30-35l with compression straps
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sounds big. Where do I look? Are there any brands that you recommend?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Go for minimum 24L. My 24l JUST fits probe, shovel, another mid layer, drink, first aid, snack one a few other bits.

I have the ortovox freerider 24.

If I were you id go for one that you can add the ABS unit into afterwards.

Take ortovox for example, you can pick up the 24L without MASS unit (the abs bit) for about £150, then buy the ABS bit at a later date if you want to. Just bare in mind the MASS unit takes up half the room in your pack!!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Dakine Heli-pack would suit (not so sure about carrying boots tho'.....)
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@superskier, Sugar, didn't see the bit about carrying boots - ortovox with mass in would be a no no Happy

Even without MASS unit, I'm not sure boots would fit in.

Have you not just considered having this for carrying boots on board:http://www.ldmountaincentre.com/ski-c26/luggage-c46/travel-bags-c47/lange-basic-duo-boot-bag-p3688

and then a backpack for off piste??
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The heli-packs are great for probe/ shovel and a few bits and pieces. They all do ski/ board carry. At 12L the dakine or similar are perfect for.... heli & cat days or about-resort usage.

I would not use one on a 'plane because I like to use the maximum legal carry on. Ski boots in particular are big and I'd not be wanting to ride with a bag which was big enough for them. If I have to carry my boots (I'm a hard boot snowboarder) then I carry them in the board bindings or sling them over my pack.

In my view some bags are much better on snow than others. Actually the heli-pack is garbage for cycling, so I'd make sure you get a bag which is designed for the purpose, if you actually want to ride with it.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
superskier wrote:

Hence the compression straps - cinch it down when it's not full wink

I have a Mammut airbag pack which I like a lot, but they also have non-airbags. As do Black Diamond, Osprey, Ortovox, etc...

Mind fitting two ski boots in even a 35l will be challenging!!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I have a 30l ACG (Nike) ski/board pack that is perfect for a pair of boots and extras. Unfortunately they only did them for a year or so as I've only ever met one person who had the same pack. Tarp bottom, tarp reinforcement for the board carrier. A frameslots on the side. Just really well thought out.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
clarky999 wrote:
Get a 30-35l with compression straps

clarky999 wrote:
superskier wrote:

Hence the compression straps - cinch it down when it's not full wink ........Mind fitting two ski boots in even a 35l will be challenging!!

+1.

Scott AP32.

Highly unlikely that a 30/35l pack will be wide enough to fit a bsl longer than 305/310mm. I've got a Scott Air 30 from a few years ago & my 304mm bsl boots are a snug top'n'tails fit.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Get a smaller pack for off-piste and use a larger bag for the plane, put your off-piste bag in your hold luggage, it'll take up next to no space.....
Da Kine heli is ideal for off-piste and has great ski carry system!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I have a Dakine Heli for general use, off the sides, etc and have an Ortovox ABS for more adventurous days out. I would advise against getting a pack that you can later fit a MASS to, as you may not want to cart it around every day. Then again...?

If you can get two boots in a pack, with some other stuff, the whole thing is very unlikely to fit in the cabin luggage size gauge at the airport.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Yup. I have a 35 lt extendable to 45 lt climbing pack and 2 boots would stuff it.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Dakine make great packs. Have my heli pro that is expandable, use it for hiking and around town! Ski straps, goggle pocket, clips for your shovel handle etc.

Done three seasons with it and it is still in perfect condition even after beer spillages, tomahawks and ski edges Smile
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
bar shaker wrote:

If you can get two boots in a pack, with some other stuff, the whole thing is very unlikely to fit in the cabin luggage size gauge at the airport.

Oddly Superskier only wants to pack "a boot".

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Wed 9-11-16 16:24; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@superskier,

If you must fit in boots, I can't comment. If you are prepared to buy a cheapo larger bag for the plane, I can make a recommendation based on my own experience. I dislike skiing with a big bag.

I skied approximately 140 days in the last 2 seasons with a Marmot Sidecountry 20. Included were 20+ days involving some skinning/touring. This seems to be significantly smaller than bags used by most others on here, but was OK for me. It contained safety gear, food (I always carry real food, not bars/gels), spare top, gloves, goggles, and always a litre of tea. If I took skins and crampons and/or a glacier rope, I may have to attach a jacket to the outside and once omitted the flask. Big mistake!

The only time I took a bigger bag was for overnight hut trips.

Marmot now make a 22 litre bag. Unless you intend to tour or to cary stuff for others (e.g. pesky children) I would consider one or similar.

Take your stuff to a shop and try it out.
latest report
Love my Dakine Heli Pro. Use it every single day as a work bag, and whenever skiing.

Couldn't get my boots in it tho...
snow report
I've a spare Osprey Kode 22 knocking about if you'd fancy it?
snow conditions
I've got an original Marmot La Meije (designed by Doug Coombs) and it's a brilliant pack. However it's morphed over the years into the Backcountry 32 and all the reviews of this I've seen have been excellent

Here's GearInstitute's take on it:

THE GOOD

Solid pack overall
Back-panel access makes for easy item retrieval on the fly
Easy-cinch hip straps and comfy fit

THE BAD

Helmet-carry system is underwhelming

THE VERDICT

The Marmot Backcountry 32L improved on a classic design. Everything about the Marmot Backcountry 32L was worthy except the helmet carry sling. I ended up stashing my helmet inside the main compartment, which crowded an otherwise spacious pack. The Backcountry 32L is a pack that could be used for years, then it could be handed down to the next generation of skiers in your family for their first excursions into the backcountry.

FULL REVIEW

Comfort/Fit
The Marmot Backcountry 32L offers plenty of support on the back and hips, with a stable suspension system and comfortable hipbelt design.

Ski/Snowboard carry
I’m an A-frame guy and the Marmot Backcountry 32L pack let me stick to my preferred style in a way that let me nearly forget the skis were on my back!

Features
The Backcountry 32L has changed much changed from the first version of the pack design several years ago by Doug Coombs—that’s a good thing. I particularly liked the spacious top compartment and cushy felt goggle pocket within that compartment.

Weight
The one big change in the updated Backcountry 32L is its weight. The new Marmot Backcountry 32L comes in significantly lighter than its ancestor. At 2 pounds, 11 ounces, it is one of the lightest 30-plus-liter packs on the market.

Durability
The Backcountry 32L is a pack that could be used for years, then it could be handed down to the next generation of skiers in your family for their first excursions into the backcountry.

Value
Anything under $150 in this category is a solid deal, and the performance of the Marmot Backcountry 32L makes it an even better deal.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy