Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Self Tracking Drones coming to a resort near you.

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I was flicking through a Ski Solutions insert into Ski Club 1.0's latest magazine when I saw an article on self tracking drones. Téléverbier are offering drones for hire that 'track' your progress down the slopes using your smartphone's GPS combined with bluetooth' so you can record blah blah blah....

Now I assume that they have thought this through but I can see a number of snags here:

Does the drone know when you ski under a ski lift and adjust its height?
What happens when the smartphone's battery goes flat, both Bluetooth and GPS use a fair chunk of power, when combined with the cold this will eventually happen?
What happens if someone has 'just another cheeky run' when the battery on the drone runs out and gravity takes over.

I have had a shufty at the Hexo+ website, its about 40cm square by 25cm deep, weighs 1.7kg and does 45 miles per hour. That is a lot of momentum if it hits another snow user.

Granted as a professional retired aviator I am cautious and believe that things that fly should be controlled carefully but is this a step to far?

Interestingly, a pisteur in Tignes told me that Drones are banned from flying over pistes in France and are banned in total in the Vanoise National Park.

Over to the wise court that is snowHeads
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Just done some crawling around the Verbs site and found this:

A piste that is fun and entertaining, and completely dedicated to drones – that is what Téléverbier is offering you, new for this winter. Every Saturday you will have the opportunity, on the Drone Slope, to film your descent from the air, over a route strewn with obstacles and modules specially reserved for this purpose.

For CHF 20.-, you will receive two descents filmed by our pilot plus the video of your exploits, sent to you the same evening by email.

So it appears Ski Solutions have put 2 and 2 together and got half a million.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I can only imagine it's quite a small slope like snowdome sized, in the UK you would have to be in VLOS to do this and i doubt the swiss are more lenient
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Well if people should use unauthorised drones on the slopes then one of these might be useful:

http://youtube.com/v/sURKOPtI9ME

Laughing
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
In case anyone mssed it last year...

http://youtube.com/v/6ECs-9A4oXs
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Was gibt es? Shocked Bloody things. Didn't put him off his stroke, any way.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I think he said afterwards that he hadn't been aware of it.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
There have been a few threads on droneboarding in the Apres Zone in the past few months.

Follow-me drones will eventually pull you up the hill... and track and film you down the hill.

Copper Mountain has been renting them out for a coupla seasons.

But, as mentioned, several big resorts, like Tignes, are trying to ban them.

Here's how drones will become a personal lift (if resort laws do not ban them):

http://youtube.com/v/cj39lrKPUp4&app=desktop
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
On power running low, I understand most tend to self land before the power is out rather than letting gravity do it's thing. But in the mountains that self land could be in a position that really is not easy/safe to get to...
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

But, as mentioned, several big resorts, like Tignes, are trying to ban them.

They are banned throughout Europe already except under special circumstances - within visual control of the user, not in built up areas, more than 100m from other people etc.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
NearlyFlying wrote:
On power running low, I understand most tend to self land before the power is out rather than letting gravity do it's thing. But in the mountains that self land could be in a position that really is not easy/safe to get to...

AFAK most head back to base before they self-land. They don't just decide to put down wherever they are.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy