Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

how long on the Mountain?

Poster: A snowHead
Just for general discussion, how long do you stay on the mountain?. I was inspired to ask this by reading the hotel facilities thread. I would never get to use them as I like to be on the mountain early and stay there until the lifts close, by then I like to go for a beer, and food, then am wrecked and in bed early. Some like to get off the mountain early and shop etc. I suppose this thread is just to give me something ski related to read, lol, January will not come soon enough. snowHead
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
When I was in my 30s we caught the first lift in the morning and were swept of the mountain by the safety patrol as the lifts closed.

No at 70 a couple of hours in the morning and an hour after lunch suits me just fine.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
TQA, well done to be still at it. We are not always first on the mountain but we try, and we love to wait at the top until the lifts close and patrol is out, then you get to zip down the mostly empty runs, it is an wonderful way to finish the day all exausted and ready to find a bar for a cold beer. In my late 40s now so will keep at it as long as we can.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I definitely like to be out first to last lift if I'm resort skiing. My favourite is staying up high at ulmerhütte above st anton, if you time it right you can leave as piste bashers are getting high (and most other skiers are boozing in the village), and enjoy a long last run down freshly groomed snow which is a bonus for tired legs Cool
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Depends. But I notice that most people get out late (there are never queues early) and go home early (the rush to go home is early afternoon).

But it depends, I ride when I want to ride, stop when I want to stop. When I was a sprog I'd ride first-lift to last-lift, and I would not stop to eat. That's a poor boy's approach. Now I'm no longer in that category I pick and choose where and what I ride. I'm reminded of the old bull and the young bull looking down at the cows.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I'm in my 30s.

Early breakfast, queue for first lift, stop for 1hr lunch, last lift for home run, swept up by patrol, too late for afternoon tea, quick beer, 1hr in the spa, dinner, nightcap and bed.

Eat, Sleep, Ski, repeat

Normally finish lunch time on last day to pick up souvenirs for family so I don't feel too guilty.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Take the lift with the piste patrol at first light, give them some tips. Ski all day, sandwich on a chair, then check the pisteurs are ok to ski down before a torchlight descent.

No just kidding. I do ski hard when I'm paying for a big resort lift ticket, otherwise it is pretty much fair weather skiing these days.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
My longest ski day ever was 7am-9:30pm, all lift served.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Unless the weather is awful we're always out until after last lift is shut. Love sitting on a rock or something looking at a great view, waiting on the lifts to stop and enjoying the beer I've been carrying around all day. The silence is almost deafening when all that machinery grinds to a halt. Then a leisurely ski down empty slopes stopping for a vin chaud en route to the apartment. Bliss.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
My longest "ski" day was approx out by 09:30 and finished around 16:00 the following day... in restaurant till 08:30 am...

Having not gone to bed, I think it counts?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I have also been known, in my youth, to be doing the chicken dance in the mightclub in my ski boots... oh, the shame Embarassed
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
under a new name wrote:
I have also been known, in my youth, to be doing the chicken dance in the mightclub in my ski boots... oh, the shame Embarassed

The first rule of mightclub is: You do not talk about mightclub. The second rule of mightclub is: You do not talk about mightclub.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
My longest day happened by accident. I was skiing with an eccentric orthopedic surgeon in the 3v and staying in Mottaret. We got the first lift up in the morning and ended up in Val Thorens late afternoon. Unfortunately, just as we got to the connecting lift to take us to our valley, the miserable French Madame (suitably dressed in black), pulled the "garage" door down (almost catching the fronts of the skis), and said "ferme", gave a Gallic shrug in response to our dismay and walked away.

There were no connecting resort buses and a taxi would have been eye-wateringly expensive....so the mad Doc suggested we should walk. So resigned to our fate, we put our skis over our shoulders and started stumping up the side of the Black Piste that ran beside the chair...and where every second or third step had us sinking into the snow up to the knee.

We got some interesting looks from the skiers heading down on their last run of the day.

After about an hour, a Pisteur stopped beside us and asked where we were going. We told him our sorry tale and said we were walking to get high enough to ski back to Mottaret. He said that he couldn't leave us on the mountain, and if we walked for another half an hour, we'd see a path on our left and to take it. A further half hour's trudge would bring us to the top, where a colleague of his would be waiting.

Well, we did as we were told and sure enough, about an hour later, we finally arrived, exhausted and relieved at the top. Our relief turned to concern when we didn't see anybody...but then, first I smelled, and then spotted a wisp of smoke coming from behind a rock...and there, sure enough was a very pleasant gentleman, who was the spit of Ernest Borgnine.

By now it was totally dark, but there was a full moon that night...and we could see above us, the headlights of the Piste Bashers diligently preparing the pistes for the following day. We then had a wonderful ski back under the stars, while following this splendidly laid back Pisteur, who seemed to take it all in his stride...almost like this was a regular occurrence.

We arrived back at about 8pm, tired but elated, to find the rest of our group was about to call out the rescue service...this was before the era of small portable mobile phones, so we had no way of contacting them.

Since then I have been paranoid about getting my timings correct and have an appreciation of those pioneers who did skiing without chairlifts.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Wed 2-11-16 21:45; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We've often skied during the day, finished early afternoon then skinned up 800m for the full moon night tour and skied down again at midnight. After a few beers and odd schnapps of course Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Old Fartbag, Great adventure Toofy Grin
ski holidays
I'm early 50's and still do first lift to last lift with a leisurely lunch.
Staying in chalets, most guests seem to have dinner then go to bed about 9:30! I wake up about 7hrs after I go to bed or 6am whichever is sooner regardless of how tired I am, so if I go to bed at 9:30, I'm wide awake, hungry and ready to get up and want breakfast at 4:30! So I'm
often sat reading on my own when everyone else is in bed
ski holidays
Scarpa wrote:
@Old Fartbag, Great adventure Toofy Grin

I was a lot younger back then....now it would kill me.
ski holidays
Wake up (no alarm, I'm on holiday) between 8 and 8:30
Lift up about 9:30
Coffee about 11
Lunch about 1:30
Coffee about 3:30
Off the mountain about 4:30
Beer till 7
Back to digs and the 3 Ss
Dinner about 9
Home in bed by 11
Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
latest report
@davidof, @Old Fartbag, Laughing Laughing

Lift up by 1000, sometimes earlier, back as the lifts close, an hour for lunch. I prefer not to bother with coffee stops, unless it's really cold, but somehow often get persuaded to have a brief stop mid-morning and mid-afternoon, especially in Italy. wink

I'm 70. Just. rolling eyes
ski holidays
@Old Fartbag, top story!

Moonlit skiing is such a delight, isn't it?
latest report
Get up, look out window, check for Blue sky , have breakfast, if Blue sky head to Bathroom, then get ski gear on, wait around for wife/daughters, get to lift by 10am hopefully. ski around a bit deciding where to go that day then home around 4/5. Sometimes stopping for lunch, sometimes not. Sometimes meeting / skiing with snowHeads and or other friends.
If no no sky visible, go back to bed Toofy Grin
snow report
under a new name wrote:
@Old Fartbag, top story!

Moonlit skiing is such a delight, isn't it?

That it is. Cool snowHead
snow conditions
Depends really, but my usual day is outside by 9am and don't come back until lifts are closing. Particularly on the last day of a trip, always end up trying to catch the last possible lift to home run.
ski holidays
I usually ski for 5-6 hours, assuming lifts open at 8:30 and close around 16:00. It depends on how the rolling opening, or more usually rolling closing of top lifts down. Lunch will be missed if the snow is good, and I'll be one of the last off the mountain. If the snow is poor, I'll give up earlier as there is always another day.

If touring it might longer, it really depends on the vertical.
snow conditions
Definately first lift up and get on the newly bashed piste. Coffee and cake/ kaiser schmarm at 11ish, ski whilst everyone else is having lunch, go for lunch at 1.30/2ish and then head back home 4-4.30.
SSSS and dinner.
ski holidays
So many people missing lunch /breakfast, I'm too much of a slave to my stomach, eat as much as I can at breakfast, stomach usually rumbling by 11, find a restaurant that serves the most bread with the goulash zuppe, preferably a whole loaf,off the mountain when the lifts close and find beer or cake to keep me sane until dinner. "Don't make me hungry Mr McGee, you wouldn't like me when I'm hungry"
ski holidays
It really depends. Can be first to last lift, can be a few hours, can be two runs. Last year over Christmas one day I skied just one run: it was very icy, crazy busy on limited slopes, and during my one run I saw three blood wagons, so I decided to leave it to those for whom it might seem to be worth it.
With a season pass it's easy since it's all paid for regardless. I would go up no matter how bad it might look on webcams and then see what it's like in reality.
ski holidays
5-6 hours in good weather, half that in mediocre, if it is truly horrible I won't ski. I did more when I was younger. I have lunch if I'm with friends who want lunch but if by myself I don't bother, I don't feel hungry.

I'm pretty punctilious about stopping before I get tired because it's tired skiers who hurt themselves.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
tangowaggon wrote:
I'm early 50's and still do first lift to last lift with a leisurely lunch.
I'm wide awake, hungry and ready to get up and want breakfast at 4:30!

It's the best time of day. Make a cup of tea, catch up on emails, read a book, potter out for a croissant around 0800.
snow report
@Hurtle, kudos snowHead
@dogwatch, agreed - I like to ski every available hour but try to recognise when I need to stop. Towards the end of EOSB2016 I preferred to stop about 2pm as the snow got too soft and busy to be enjoyable.
ski holidays
Usually on the first lift. I ski until my legs start to misbehave and go jelly. First few days are full days but last few days are usually shorter as legs are just spent.
I only tend to do 4-5 day breaks
Cheers
Smag
snow report
usually 0930-1600 or thereabouts with an hour for lunch and a couple of gluhwein/beer stops during the day. Very, very seldom go for a beer straight after skiing. It wouldn't occur to me and I really don't want one at that time. Back to the chalet for bath and occasionally some tea, then out for a drink at about 7.30 pm and then on/back for supper around 0830.
snow report
I used to be a first lift to last lift skier, but my partner isn't, so my habits have changed over the years. I'm gradually trying to stretch the day out with hot chocolates and lunches, but he would still naturally be back at base by 2 or 3pm. I try to get him as far away from the home as possible these days, feed him a decent lunch and hope that he gets a second wind! He was ill for a couple of days last year so I was skiing on my own and nearly missed the last connecting lift one day - not so much fun when you are on your own & wondering how you would get home!
snow conditions
A lot depends who I'm skiing with.

With one group of friends it's; up, breakfast, first lift, ~30min lunch, back about 4pm, hit apres hard, get the hunger, stuff face and feel tired, bed about 10pm. Repeat.

With another it's; up, breakfast, wait, wait, wait, wait, ready to go but someone's forgotten something, ready to go but no someone's gone to the loo, finally get lift about 9-10...
latest report
Quote:

A lot depends who I'm skiing with.

With one group of friends it's; up, breakfast, first lift, ~30min lunch, back about 4pm, hit apres hard, get the hunger, stuff face and feel tired, bed about 10pm. Repeat.

With another it's; up, breakfast, wait, wait, wait, wait, ready to go but someone's forgotten something, ready to go but no someone's gone to the loo, finally get lift about 9-10...

@Mjit, I can properly relate to these two scenarios
ski holidays
Age 47, ski all day till last lift even if weather is atrocious. Never used any hotel facilities yet! Skis in lockers/shops nearest the lift at the end of the day and straight to the bars in my gear. Shower in the morning and repeat 😀
I can only afford to go once a year so don't want to waste any mountain time.
latest report
Not quite first lift (Mrs Yeti insists on at least a pint of tea before starting the day) but we are always out before ski schools start.
The end of day rule is simple.
Rule 1. If the lift is still running you MUST do one more lap.
Rule 2. Failure to comply with rule 1 means getting the beers in ready for those who do.
snow report
I'm usually ready for first lifts and then have a coffee while the rest of the crew roll out of bed late. Tbf I am usually done by 3 but then I do spend all season in the three valleys 😄🤘
ski holidays
I'd ski first lift to last lift if I could. Just doesn't happen though cos I usually wait for the wife to get ready and come with us, and she's 'on holiday'. It'd probably be better for our relationship for me just to go, then meet up on the slopes cos I'm usually like an bored kid i.e "Are you ready yet?...Are you ready yet?...Are you ready yet?...".

I'll usually ski until I get to the stage where I get tired and all technique goes to pot. I'll also try not to push it too much on the first few days of a weeks trip so that I don't 'sufferer for it' at the end of the week.

Shock, horror, we might also take a day off mid week and go do something more touristy. Last year we got the train from St.Anton to Innsbruck for the day. This year we may take some time to have a look around Briancon, especially if there's a duff day weather wise. It's not all about the skiing, much as I love it.
snow report
07:00 - 07:30 - rise / eggs / coffee
07:30 - 08:15 - wash / dress / etc...
08:15 - 09:00 - sort out kit / leave apartment / first lift
09:00 - 12:00 - ski / wine / ski / wine / ski / wine
12:00 - 12:30 - food / wine / food / wine
12:30 - 16:30 - ski / wine / ski / wine / ski / wine
16:30 - 20:00 - food / wine / food / wine
20:00 - 07:00 - wine induced coma

Rinse / Repeat