Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes Les Boisses for beginner skiing with kids???

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello - I am planning to travel to Tignes in Jan and looking at Les Boisses for a week's skiing for beginners (adult and children). Anyone stayed recently (last thread on this resort was prior to the recent development) and give a guide to beginner slopes?
Thanks

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 2-11-16 11:02; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I stayed in Les Boisses last April and know Espace Killy area well. Overall I'd say not an ideal base for complete beginners. My recollection is that beginner slopes are limited in Les Boisses. More choice and facilities in Tignes 2100 (Le Lac) or Tignes Val Claret. About 10 to 20 minutes free bus ride from Les Boisses. By lifts and pistes I think too challenging for most 1st week skiers.

Are there reasons why you plan to go to Tignes? It would not be my first choice for beginners or even early intermediates. I think there are lots of kinder, cheaper, more convenient places to learn. Especially in January, when more tree cover can be welcome.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for your reply. We are open to resorts. To be honest Tignes Les Boisses was on our list because of the accommodation - Kalinda. I like Aparthotels and was looking for something similar to the accommodation at Les Arcs 1950. Ski in, Ski out is important as well. Open to any suggestions Smile
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@CosmoJo, There are lots of other options of apartments in the same chain as Kalinda Village. If you are beginners I'd recommend any of the following: Montgenevre (Napoleon), La Rosiere (Les Cimes Blanches), Les Carroz (Les Chalets de Jouvence). These residences are very close to beginner friendly slopes and all have pools, spa etc. We have booked some of these with Peak Retreats. If you have a look at their website you will find more info on the accommodation and resorts.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@snowymum thanks will check those out Smile
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@CosmoJo, Tignes is not really a beginners place. Puzzled
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@CosmoJo, i have stayed in kalinda a couple of times and if snow is down there then they beginners slopes are quite good.... when you say beginners do you mean first time on snow ? also will you be putting them in ski school as i am not sure what that sort of things is like which might mean getting a bus up to le lac everyday....

it wont get much sun at that time of the year so could well be cold but its quiet which could be quite good for beginners etc, also when in jan are you going?

@Hyst, i would say that used to be true but lately they have really upped their game.... i have being skiing there a couple of times a year for 15 years and in the last 3 or 4 they have sorted that side of it out; however you cant just take the piste map for granted as some of the grading doesn't tell the whole story etc

i agree with intermediate... a smaller resort my offer better value as you will be paying for terrain that you wont ski.... what about st foy just down the valley?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@ajc2260626 thanks for your reply, very useful. We have all skied once before so not complete beginners - I would like us to get private family lessons and ski together. Thinking of last week of January.
Just looking for some nice long blue runs.
St Foy looks interesting - will check it out Smile
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@CosmoJo, if you are off the nursery slopes then saint foy could be the ticket, i have skied a couple of times there.... no much nursery but some nice easy runs BUT not a lot of it..... if i was taking kids who were less than 7 years old for example then could be good
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@CosmoJo, another option, not far from Tignes, is the La Rosiere/La Thuile area. More suited to 2nd week skiers and better value than Tignes. Bigger area than St Foy. @snowymum, mentions a specific aparthotel in La Rosiere.
Have you decided you will go to France? Austria and Italy, for example, may open up lots of reasonably priced options.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
3 years ago we had a new council elected in Tignes. The Mayor is ESF and one of his deputies is Evo2 (now there's a thing!). This means a lot has been done to aid absolute beginners. The first village to benefit was Les Boisses, they built a long gentle beginners slope with 2 covered magic carpets. It is right by the Kalinda and is a dedicated area, not a through route. It is so good one of the independent instructors I recommend will travel down from Le Lac to Boisses if he has an absolute beginner because he can achieve a lot more in the same time as he is not worrying about idiots charging about etc.

For early intermediates there is the green to Les Brevieres and a cahir back, for easy blues it would be time for Le Lac.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@CosmoJo, Sainte Foy has a lovely long blue called le marquis (or something like that) which has a fantastic mountain restaurant towards the bottom. However to access it you have to ski along a blue track which is gentle but was very icy in the mornings during our visit. We've only been there once though so could have been unlucky with the conditions. On the apartment front Les Fermes de Sainte Foy is MGM built like Kalinda Village. However Les Fermes de Sainte Foy is an older residence and when we were there it was in need of a bit of maintenance and the pool and spa areas were not as good as the more recent MGMs. It is in a good location at the foot of the piste but the internal design of the residence is a bit odd. Some apartments are accessed by a freezing outdoor staircase in the middle of the building. The ski rooms are up steps etc. English is widely spoken in the resort which is good for ski school but I found it a bit strange as I hardly felt as though I was in France there were so few French people about.

I don't think Sainte Foy would be a bad choice but I personally prefer the ski area at Montgenevre and Le Napoleon is a new generation MGM like Kalinda Village so would be a bit more luxurious all round when compared to Les Fermes de Sainte Foy above. There is also the monty express rollercoaster in Montgenevre which could be fun for the kids after skiing.

As I mentioned above La Rosiere would be another good option. If you are hoping to use the direct Eurostar it is one of the easiest places to get to.

In your position I'd save Tignes for a few years time when your children will be more experienced and you will be able to make the most of the larger ski area.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy