Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Base brushes - nylon vs horsehair vs cork

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys,

Does anyone know the difference of the affects of nylon brushes, horsehair brushes and corks when brishing after a wax job. In what order works best?

Thanks Happy
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
unless you are racing no real need to have multiple brushes. Buy a brass brush to clean out wax from the base structure after scraping. If you are really keen use brass, then horsehair then nylon, then a scotchbrite pad, clean paper towel. Corks are for adding in powders and pastes with Hi flouro contents and again really only for high end racing in speed events...
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
My shop regime is brass, horsehair and nylon (all Roto brushes) then a wipe of Zardoz. If the skis have touring bindings then we omit the Zardoz.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

If the skis have touring bindings then we omit the Zardoz.

would that be in case they might use skins? does the Zardoz affect the glue on the skins?

I like to use a few drops of zardoz on the edges to stop rust forming but don't use it on the bases myself...
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@skimottaret, yep. Zardoz is a teflon overlay so skins won't stick & it's likely to ruin the adhesive so they'd need re-gluing.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@spyderjon, interesting - I'd been planning on getting some Zardoz from you in a week or, along with a pile of other stuff...but maybe not...

would you recommend not using zardoz at all on touring skis, or just immediately before putting skins on? (ie could I zardoz my bases before a day of lift-assisted hedonism, happy in the knowledge that my skins will stick fine the following morning? or even, could I apply zardoz on the summit and puts skins OK on after a 800m+ descent, the same day?)

cheers
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Inboard wrote:
@spyderjon, interesting - I'd been planning on getting some Zardoz from you in a week or, along with a pile of other stuff...but maybe not...

would you recommend not using zardoz at all on touring skis, or just immediately before putting skins on? (ie could I zardoz my bases before a day of lift-assisted hedonism, happy in the knowledge that my skins will stick fine the following morning? or even, could I apply zardoz on the summit and puts skins OK on after a 800m+ descent, the same day?)

cheers

You'll be fine applying Zardoz the day before for lift served stuff but I wouldn't put it on the same day as I'm skinning.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@spyderjon, I've always used Zardoz with skins and had no problems (well so far Smile ) although never just before applying skins. If I am skiing lift accessed territory and then skinning later I will apply it in the morning as per usual. I did check before doing this on their site which gave the following info:

NOTwax is an inert liquid, so it will not affect the glue of your skins. However, if you put it on right before your skins, the base will be somewhat wet with NOTwax and the skins will have trouble sticking. It's best to apply NOTwax at the top of your climb after pulling your skins off. Otherwise, just polish the base after applying NOTwax with a tissue or shirt sleeve and then attach your skins. NOTwax can also be used as a quick fix on the skin material to reduce icing (this is how we originally discovered it), on the top sheets and binding plates to reduce snow build up, on sleds, squeaky bindings, stuck twist lock mechanisms, and any other moving part. It’s a great multi-purpose lubricant for every backcountry skier’s tool kit. It works extremely well on the furry side of the skin to help prevent the buildup of snow and ice. As far as the glue, NOTwax is completely inert, so it has no reaction or interference with the glue. However, trying to stick anything to a wet surface is difficult. What we recommend is that people apply NOTwax after they take their skins off and they're getting ready to ski. Otherwise, if they apply NOTwax first, they should buff their ski with a tissue to make sure there is no wet residue of NOTwax before applying their skins. If they are doing "yo-yo" skiing (where you climbing up with your skins, ski down, then climb up again) the NOTwax that they applied at the top run will be sufficiently polished by the time they get down, so that there won't be any issue of applying their skins for the next run.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Scarpa, I only really use Zardoz myself on spring afternoons as I find my lime Zoom copes with everything fine but I've played around with it in my shop with some skin offcuts and I reckon it reduces
adhesion, especially on the latest generation of low tack skin's etc. Zardoz is definately good for stopping snow sticking to the topsheets when skinning.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@spyderjon, @Scarpa, thanks for the responses guys - useful.

with new skins for us both last year I'm not of a mind to risk their adhesion... (on which note they the first non-black diamond ones I've had - went with Contour instead this time, and am very impressed with them in terms of glide, friction, and manageable glue)
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@spyderjon, Great idea for the topsheets Toofy Grin Yeah, I wouldn't like to try to get skins to stick with a fresh application. It's probably a little better too with fat skis as there is much more skin to adhere to the ski so you may not notice a small loss. Seconded for the Zoom, it copes with everything you chuck at it right up to high temp sticky snow, then the Zardoz really does help.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The zardox product you were talking about sounds interesting so I started looking into it… Here in Canada it’s not cheap and hard to find. But reading about it it sounds like the product is actually made by Dupont so I started looking into that and see that they make a spray Called Dupont, Snow, and ice repellent. Any idea if this is the same stuff just packaged for a different purpose? Do you think it would damage skis thoughts and advice would be great!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@jandspaul, pretty sure zardox wax no longer available, certainly here in UK. https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=165989
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
boabski wrote:
@jandspaul, pretty sure zardox wax no longer available, certainly here in UK. https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=165989

hmm did you bother reading page 2 of the thread?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@euanovsky, clearly not
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy