Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hotel Facilities

Poster: A snowHead
Just wondering why some folk book hotels with loads of facilities and cost and then don't use them
Speaking to someone on the way home last winter they listed what their hotel had ie Gym, saunas, steam room and pool etc.
When I asked what they were like they said they had not used any off them. Puzzled
I have never used the gym but if there are saunas etc we use them
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If you want to stay in a better hotel, most come with facilities (whether you want them or not).
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Pools are nice, but slope access is WAY more important
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I think to be a 4 star or more in Austria you basically have to have a Wellness so if you want that standard of hotel the facilities go with it. Pool and sauna/steam room always a good benefit IMV though I've been in some crappy basement pools in the US (hotels usually have a outdoor pool for summer) that weren't worth it.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Well, I use them. OH doesn't but I guess he'd rather not stay in a cheap hotel down the road on his own Laughing .
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@maggi, Laughing Laughing . Hotels with spa facilities are generally of better standard and are more comfortable. I don't always use them although hubby will.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We use the sauna and steam rooms most days
Not that bothered about a pool but Mrs G will have a swim if we end up in a hotel with one.
More important to have things to do if weather has closed down the slopes though

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Wed 2-11-16 18:40; edited 3 times in total
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I use the bar and occasionally the sauna, the kids use the pool. Mrs M uses the cake/ice cream counter and the bar. Apparently the cakes (and the gin) are better in 4-5 star hotels wink
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The BB is the only time I stay in such hotels but I don't use the "wellness" facilities, I went in a sauna for the first time in my life 3 years ago, never again, actually making an effort or paying good money to overheat and sweat like a plough horse, I guess they are a bit Marmite.
A comfortable bed, a good shower, plenty of food at breakfast time and a good choice of food along with a sociable bar are as much as I would pay for.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
In a ski hotel I just want a comfortable bed, nice shower, a friendly bar, decent food and a short walk to the slopes. I never, ever use pools, steam rooms, gyms, massage rooms or saunas. I actually hate saunas, I don't see the enjoyment in sweating my ass off (although I suppose it might get rid of some of the alcohol Laughing).

I like luxury on summer holidays, but winter I don't care.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@HoneyBunny, I'm glad I'm not the only one that hates saunas, what is actually enjoyable about them? Puzzled
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@tangowaggon, Best to leave them. The sauna the better. Toofy Grin
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Watch out for the Austrian saunas. You will be sitting in there alone, all British in your Union Jack swimming costume, and then suddenly an Austrian/German family will walk in all totally butt-naked. Mom, dad, kids, grandma — the lot.

Then they will look at you like you are some sort of weirdo because you are not in your birthday suit! Laughing

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Wed 2-11-16 10:20; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
PeDaSp wrote:
Watch out for the Austrian saunas. You will be sitting in there alone, all British in your Union Jack swimming costume, and then suddenly an Austrian/German family will walk in all totally butt-naked. Mom, dad, kids, grandma — the lot.

Then they will look at you like you are some sort of weirdo because you have not in your birthday suit! Laughing

Been there, done that and had to remove the T-Shirt.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
musher wrote:
I use the bar and occasionally the sauna, the kids use the pool. Mrs M uses the cake/ice cream counter and the bar. Apparently the cakes (and the gin) are better in 4-5 star hotels wink

Stating the obvious !! Laughing My wife gets to stay in very posh hotels for work and is always telling me how much I would enjoy the xyz hotel, which I probably would but not at £500 a night ( of my money).
snow report
5 star hotel or cheep apartment you end up skiing on the same slopes
ski holidays
PeDaSp wrote:

Then they will look at you like you are some sort of weirdo because you are not in your birthday suit! Laughing

Glad I applied Rule 5 and hit the slopes the day my mates decided to take a rest day and hit the public sauna in Ischgl. I got to ski while they got to see a fat germanic gentleman stand up in the middle of the sauna, drop his towel and use it to mix up the air. Needless to say Newton was correct and when a fat man twirls a towel above his head equal and opposite forces occure below his head...
snow report
To be honest I've never thought I'd be one to be into all this well-being and sauna sort of stuff. Last time I was skiing the hotel had a free spa type facility and I actually really enjoyed being able to come off the slopes and have 40 minutes relaxation before getting on the ale. That being said I don't think the lack of this sort of facility would ruin or even affect my enjoyment of a holiday at all, if there's snow, slopes and antics to be had then its a great holiday in my book.
snow report
@Mjit, Shock
snow conditions
Reading or hearing the word 'wellness' makes me want scream and scream and scream until I'm sick. It's bunkum. Utter bunkum.

You look after your body by eating a Mediterranean diet and by exercising until you're out of breath several times a week. Relaxing in a sauna or jacuzzi, spreading applying cucumber slices to your eyes or seaweed to your thighs, being massaged by a statuesque beauty, drinking pureed kale juice or meditating to recordings of wildlife in the Amazonian rain forest will make you indolent and fat. It will not make you well.
latest report
Jonny Jones wrote:
being massaged by a statuesque beauty ... will not make you well.

No, but it makes you feel bloody good Very Happy
snow conditions
@Musher

I'm with you. Feeling Chillaxed helps Wellness (sic)...and there is nothing wrong with being in an oasis of calm...before being chewed up for bringing the good lady down something too difficult. Now that really is bad for your Wellbeing, which then requires more Wellness treatment.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Wed 2-11-16 18:29; edited 1 time in total
latest report
IF I book a hotel, a sauna or a jacuzzi is nice, ease those tired muscles. I would use the bar, but that is it. I usually choose self catering though, I seldom use the kitchen except for breakfast and snacks, but with kids it's nice to just let them faff about in the evenings.
ski holidays
Quote:

Reading or hearing the word 'wellness' makes me want scream and scream and scream until I'm sick

+1
Just one of the many posts in this thread which made me LOL

My pet hate obituary would be to hear of someone who had "passed in the wellness". Twisted Evil

Serve them bloody well right!
ski holidays
@pam w, Laughing Laughing
snow report
Wouldn't book a hotel specifically because of it* but did enjoy being able to use the pool on the EoSB. TBH though I'm usually happy enough with just have a couple of beers in the bath
The bath being full with warm water, I don't just sit in the tub like some kind of deranged psycho

*In fact my main criteria is usually that it's cheap, so I'm usually just happy if the room doesn't smell too much like a landfill site and the roaches are reasonably quiet.
latest report
SnoodyMcFlude wrote:
Wouldn't book a hotel specifically because of it* but did enjoy being able to use the pool on the EoSB. TBH though I'm usually happy enough with just have a couple of beers in the bath

DIY Wellness Centre....I like it.
snow report
@pam w, beats passing away in your wellies
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
geepee wrote:
@tangowaggon, Best to leave them. The sauna the better. Toofy Grin

Ah, you've twigged it too. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
[quote="pam w"]
Quote:

..."passed in the wellness". Twisted Evil

That sounds more like pissing in the hot-tub. Mad
snow report
@adithorp, Laughing well yes, there's that too!
ski holidays
I do like a sauna if the weather is cold
snow report
The good thing is the better hotels supply robes to wander around in.
snow report
tangowaggon wrote:
... I'm glad I'm not the only one that hates saunas, what is actually enjoyable about them?..
That's perhaps rhetorical, but if you actually want to know..

A sauna's a great way to warm up and relax after a day in the snow. I also use saunas in the UK, although they're often less good, as are those in North America. If you've been out in minus 30, then a sauna's a really good way to get completely warmed up. If you're going to have a massage, then it's a great way to prepare for that. An alternative is a hot tub, and in North America that's sometimes a better option (because the saunas are often too cold or poorly run). After a sauna your skin feels really clean. The process of sitting in a sauna is fundamentally relaxing. It's not necessary (or sensible) to be macho about it - the trick is to sit at a height where the temperature's what you want.

I think it's important to understand the local culture and adapt to it. So you could sit in a unisex Finnish sauna in your pants, but it would be weird. In Canada if the sauna's single sex then you don't need pants; if it's shared, then like the UK they want you to wear clothes. In Finland you'd never sit directly on the bench. That's common in the UK although easy to avoid (just take a towel: they don't provide mats). In Austrian resorts it's common to have (multi-lingual) signs telling you what to wear and what to sit on. If in doubt then you can always take your pants off easier than you can put them on.

In Finland a sauna is social as much as anything. In North America where they have single-sex saunas, the hot tub may be a better option. I think the hot tub works better for prudish people/ cultures.

--------- --------------
"passed in the wellness".

The American prudishness over death and words related to dying has spread over here, like their prudishness about swimming trunks. In do some work in the NHS with patients who die, and even there the euphemism people are everywhere. We all die, we don't "pass away".

I'm less bothered about "wellness", which to me is just a marketing word which means "trying to make fat people feel less bad about eating too much". That's big business.
ski holidays
Quote:

trying to make fat people feel less bad about eating too much

Laughing

Talking of "passing away" - or worse still, "passing" is trying to make people feel less bad about other people being dead. By somehow suggesting that what happened was an altogether less disagreeable event. It's a word used in retrospect only - in the raw, shocking, event of it the word is "death" If you had been trying to revive somebody after, say, an RTA and a doctor came along, you wouldn't ask "Has he passed away?" You'd say "Is he dead?".

I don't really mind referring to the locality as, say, a "wellness suite" - not that you'd find me passed away in one. But we don't talk about the "dining" or the "sports" as localities. Wellness is a state of being.

[was typing that whilst waiting, in vain, for Barclays mortgage help line to answer me - gave up in the end, you'll all be glad to hear]
snow report
From a couple of mates who run a chalet in Tignes the first question a Brit asks getting off the transfer bus is "What's the WiFi code", the first question a Dane asks is "Where is the sauna". Mr mate did say it was very distracting when Mrs Dane came out of the sauna for some more of the smelly stuff 'au natural'
snow conditions
Wellness is just an anglicisation of what I assume is actually some Germanic compound noun such as Theplacewhereweswingoursausagesinapineovenbeforestretchinginsomeonesfacethatmakesusfeelbetter.
latest report
It's OK, @Dave of the Marmottes, we're just having a random moan. The name is not one of the worst aspects.
wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy