Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Annual Insurance - ski-ing during business trips

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,

Hopefully this is the correct place for this!

It looks like I am going to be spending a fair weekends in Milan over this winter, as I'll be doing quite a lot of travelling there for work. So, time to do a bit of ski-ing hopefully!

My main question is around insurance: I've had a look at some annual insurance policies, and there's no chance I'll bust the number of days allowed actually ski-ing. However, it's not really clear what the number of days allowed refers to: can anyone recommend some insurance where it's clear that it refers to days on the piste, not the total number of days travelling?

As an aside: can anyone recommend decent weekend ski-ing accessible from the centre of Milan (not Malpensa)? I will probably not have access to a car, so it would need to be public transport of some form I guess.

Thanks for any thoughts!

Brutha
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Brutha wrote:

As an aside: can anyone recommend decent weekend ski-ing accessible from the centre of Milan (not Malpensa)? I will probably not have access to a car, so it would need to be public transport of some form I guess.

Thanks for any thoughts!

Brutha

I was going to say that Milan isn't the best place to go on business for skiing but there is an express train to Brig in Swizterland so there are probably some good opportunities.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Aha, good catch, thanks very much, Brig looks nice and easy for weekends!

But yes, Milan is not perfect - still far easier than most places I've been travelling to recently.... (although not as easy as some time I spent in Boulder a few years ago!).
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Brutha, i've always believed that skiing days meant exactly that. Ask the insurer. Not some random internet weirdos.

I believe there are weekend (maybe more frequently?) ski buses from Milan to Aosta valley. There's also a (crap) train to Aosta itself, so worst case, skiing Pila would be easy.

Check out the Monterosa and Courmayeur websites for public transport access.

Also rome2rio.com
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
You'd probably get better ski related suggestions with a more pertinent topic name... rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
under a new name wrote:
There's also a (crap) train to Aosta itself, so worst case, skiing Pila would be easy.

The train route to Aosta goes nearly all the way to Turin. Could be quicker to just do Milan - Turin - Oulx and ski in Sestriere.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

You'd probably get better ski related suggestions with a more pertinent topic name...

Hehe, yes: it was really an aside to my main question about insurance, perhaps I should have opened two separate topics!

@under a new name: yes, hadn't intended to take any one's word for it, but was looking for any info to start me in a good direction... but I think you're right, I'll just bite the bullet and call the insurers themselves.

Cheers
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Brutha, snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@rjs, yep, could well be.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Brutha, tbh, you would probably be better off renting a car. Plan in advance.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Brutha, I checked with Snowcard and the owner confirmed that it is actual ski days that count, but you have to be insured overall for he number of days from the start to finish of your trip
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Well, which country precisely would you be skiing in, and what do you want to insure?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@philwig, I'd imagine, weekends from Milan, Italy?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
.... and the answer will be to self insure
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I checked this exact question two years ago with Insureandgo. In terms of "snow sports" coverage, you are covered for the number of days you are actually on the snow in skis or snowboard etc. So you may have a policy with a max of 60 days holiday; but 14 days of actual snow sports.

But as others have said — ask your insurance company, and record the call and check it's in the T&Cs.
ski holidays
This is where you will need to check the small print on policies that you are considering as some policies refer to "holiday" insurance and others "travel" insurance. I've seen some where for the trip to be defined as a holiday it has to commence in the UK and return to the UK. Clearly a 2 week work trip to Italy with a free weekend in the middle spent skiing may not be considered a holiday.
Presumably you will have some form of travel cover with work, it would be worth checking whether that covers winter sports. The company that I worked for included winter sports cover in the cover provided.
ski holidays
Great, thanks for the info all! The point re: company travel insurance is a good one - I'll ask them to send me a copy of the policy as it's definitely worth checking.

@Philwig - not sure on the country, depends on the transport options primarily. As to "what", it's really medical and liability insurance. Not fussed about equipment damaged / stolen etc.

Insureandgo sounds like a good bet, thanks: I just confirmed the above info with them in a web chat, so will follow that up probably if I don't get it for free from work!
snow report
@Brutha, Lloyds gold account gives you business travel and ski insurance for 31 days
latest report
Well I've always travelled a lot, and it's usually worth checking out the actual costs you're insuring against. Most UK people would not, for example, insure against travel to Scotland - it's cost effective to think about why. The insurance companies won't tell you the actual likely costs of the things you're insuring against. They obfuscate the value they provide by "covering" things which most people don't need or which will never pay out (because they're covered by the EHIC, the Warsaw Convention, your house insurance, the local rescue process etc).

Otherwise also Citibank give away insurance up to 30 days per trip 90 days per year. I'm not precisely sure how they pick which 90 days that covers, but I think you'd be very safe with that for your first 90/365 days.
latest report
Hi All, quick report back in case anyone is interested, finally got round to ski-ing this weekend from Milan; went to Aosta by coach, then skied and stayed in Pila.... was really good, nice snow conditions and lovely weather... like I'm sure ski-ing holidays always used to be but probably weren't!!!!

Bought insureandgo insurance in the end btw.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy