Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Courses for scared skiers

Poster: A snowHead
I've been skiing for for years now and though I love the mountains and being there with my friends, everything scares me... heights, lifts, steep slopes, speed... everything!. Although technically I'm not the worst skier in my friendship group I'm the slowest by a long way and less adventurous than most on what slopes I'll attempt. I love greens, blues vary from pretty fun to just about manageable and I skied a red once 3 years ago, but even though it went ok, I haven't dared since!

Anyway, this year it's looking like work might fall such that I could be more flexible with time off than usual.

So I was wondering if a course with like-minded skiers might help. I remember seeing options in previous years, but I'm struggling to find anything suitable. I'm based in the Netherlands, so looking at European pistes. I'd like to get it in before my regular ski holiday, so jan-feb by preference. Any suggestions/ recommendations?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Good on you for keeping at it! Sounds like you're actually very nearly there. Not aware of any groups such as you describe, but BASS Chamonix could definitely assist, but best of all take one-to-one sessions with Shona Tait there who'd be perfect for you - she's a top level trainer, she's trained me and my daughter (instructors), she's gentle and very patient, and amazingly effective, best I've found. Hope that helps and just for clarity I've no commercial interest in this recommendation.
http://www.basschamonix.com/
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The best instructors that I've come across are in Val D'Isere...where there are some truly excellent ski schools, including:

BASS, Mountain Masters, The Development Centre, Progression Ski School, New Generation.

If this is a direction you wish to go in, I (along with others) can make individual recommendations.

The resort is not known for lots of cruisey runs, but there is a decent amount of manageable terrain.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Rcav, So good to hear that you have always skied within your abilities — that is the way to stay safe and have fun.

This link is quite old now, but worth a look:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/snowandski/736958/Skiing-away-from-fear.html

Any good instructor will be able to help you advance, and one-on-one is the way to go for sure. And you might consider an Austrian resort, as Austria has a very good and consistent ski instruction set-up.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi Rcav. I am the same! I found Steve Down http://www.primesnowsports.com/ to be the most patient and confidence building instructor I have had. He used to be with NewGen but I don't think he is with them anymore. As with Irrev I've no commercial interest but he helped me. Good luck and hang in there - I am just starting to ski reds with some level of confidence after 8 years of skiing.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Rcav:- We live in Mierlo and my OH has much the same problems as you, maybe even more apprehensive. If you find anything to help do let us know. I've suggested women only courses to her but it would be nice for her to be in a Dutch speaking group perhaps.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks everyone for the great instructor recommendations, I generally take a few private lessons whenever I go with my friends, as I do find 1 on 1 more useful, and saves me feeling guilty that I'm slowing the rest of the group down. I'll bear all these in mind for those trips.

But since I'm proposing an extra solo trip, I'm really looking for something with a group element. I can't afford an instructor all day everyday, and I know from experience if I ski on my own for too long I'm liable to lose my confidence completely - sitting at the side of the piste trying to talk yourself into going down is no fun even when you know you're friends are waiting at the bottom!

Old man of lech:- I must admit that my location is a little misleading, although I live in nl, I'm British! However, I have had ski lessons in Dutch before (from a German instructor!), that was in landgraaf and i would be happy in a Dutch speaking group if that was an option.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Rcav, I would just like to reassure you that I ski with friends slower than me, and you should in no way feel guilty! Skiing is a total pleasure and all about the wonderful company at the end of the day. I am sure your friends love skiing with you. snowHead

And as always, ski within your limits. Far better to take your time and have fun.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Rcav,
My partner is technically as able to ski as anyone else but suffers from a lack of confidence and doesnt over evaluate her abilities.
So she stands out in her own head by focusing on negatives for example she has better form than another skier but thinks she is holding everyone up because the other skier is out of control and unwilling to take beginner advice.

I think its a common problem esp with UK skiers as we all focus on unnatural leaps in ability due to lack of snow time, we all dedicate ourselves to progression over form.

Your more than welcome to join us for a few days in Aosta Valley and share lesson costs , im sure my partner would appreciate skiing without the need to excel at speed etc , im useless as my focus is speed and progression which obv causes friction.

We are all friends and great craic at the lunchtime beers and afternoon beers dissection of perceived ability Smile
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Why wait til Jan/Feb?
The PSB has a strong instructional element and is there to get you ready for the season, in December snowHead
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@hawkwind,
A lot of what you say sounds very familiar and resonates with my experience. Thanks for the offer to join you in Aosta, very kind, but looking at the piste map Aosta looks rather red, perhaps not the best place for me at the moment.

@admin,
Unfortunately, I'm too busy at work till Christmas to be able to squeeze anything in. Although I have spotted the MYAsH bash, perhaps that would work.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Rcav,

Few pointers she said has helped.

Forget about holding people up , if in a group go FIRST behind the instructor not last! That way you dont get that feeling of everyone waiting on you.

Just enjoy the skiing and ignore friend who want you to try this slope and do stuff your not confident on.

She had a lesson from a poster on here Smile and she said that really helped her , maybe a smaller group lesson or some private lessons.
I think very small tweaks on her stance and position helped.

Everyone learns at different speeds , just enjoy it and it will all come.
I think the main thing is not to let people drag you onto slopes you wont be confident on , build your confidence through the week and try the harder slopes with an instructor before going along with the mates.
Watch conditions too , generally the harder pisted slopes are best done mid morning so dont try the hard slopes when they are all moguly and your tired and maybe had a few drinks with lunch Smile
Have fun Smile
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Rcav, You might enjoy the MyAshBash - last year there was a real range of abilities in the group from absolute beginners to experienced, including some nervous skiers. It was very supportive with everyone helping each other out.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Rcav, have a look at www.bobski.com Very Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Rcav, Charlotte has done various similiar courses and can also do 1-1 lessons and has been well recommended by many snowheads. http://www.easiski.com/SkiLessons.html
snow conditions
@Rcav, I used to be exactly the same as you! I would highly recommend Lynne Stainbrook in Flaine, who is American and also a psychologist. He focuses really hard on technique, which then gives you confidence in your own ability. He worked miracles for me, to the extent that three months after we met him we were buying a ski apartment. We now ski 6 or 7 weeks a year, and whilst I'll never be the most confident skier in the world, I really enjoy a challenging red! You can find him at www.flaineskiclinic.com
ski holidays
This book might help too

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/0679778276/ref=tmm_pap_used_olp_sr?ie=UTF8&condition=used&qid=&sr=&tag=amz07b-21
snow conditions
sj1608 wrote:
I would highly recommend Lynne Stainbrook in Flaine, ...He worked miracles for me, to the extent that three months after we met him we were buying a ski apartment. We now ski 6 or 7 weeks a year

That's the kind of instruction I'd pay good money for Toofy Grin
snow conditions
I'd definitely second hawkwind's suggestion of buying Inner Skiing. It's a fantastic insight into the psychology of skiing and what might be holding you back mentally (rather than physically). Buy it!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy