Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Pila piste difficulty

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

Can anyone comment on the difficulty of the pistes at Pila? I'm organising a trip for a few days and one of the group can ski red runs but will be more comfortable and probably have a better time "cruising the blues". The piste map indicates most of the runs are red, but in reality I know there always significant variation between resorts. Can anyone comment from experience?

On alternative options: the flights to Turin are booked, but no accommodation yet, so can change to a different Italian resort if that's best. I had Pila in mind as we also have a non-skiier and Aosta will provide many more off mountain activities than most places. I'm also interested in thoughts on whether it's best to stay in Pila or Aosta with this in mind.

Cheers
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Many reds are easy most of them very wide, its a popular place with beginners. I went early Jan last year, had a very cold but nice day.

Gondola station is a bit industrial, Aosta town should be nice but not sure hat there is to do there.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@NearlyFlying, from my one night in Aosta we found it very bland and nigh on impossible to get a drink after 23:00 and after a week's hut to hut ski touring we needed a few beers!

We did ski Pila taking the lift from outside the equivalent of Aosta B&Q and the pistes did seem very friendly in a nice cruising blue / red sort of way and has often been mentioned tis the destination for many a Brit school trip.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Weathercam, to be fair, the op isn't looking at a weeks hut to hut ski touring.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@NearlyFlying,
I had a week in Pila about 10 years ago. V little in Pila itself, a few bars and hotels on a couple of different levels/bends of the mountain road but the intermediate skiing was good/enjoyable and sunny. There was also an outdoor ice rink.
Gondola goes down into Aosta which we did one p.m. - found the town highly boring.
Watching the helicopter take off and land, right outside our hotel, from only a few feet away (no H & S there! Shocked) was fantastic.
Also my BEST EVER ski experience was taking part in a (free for all) Carnivale. All the Italians were in fancy dress and we went up the mountain before last light, kids as well, for free grub at a restaurant, then skied down to next restaurant at dusk with ski instructors trying to put you off and shooshing snow over you. (My young Italian instructor was dressed as the Pope and smoking weed!)
Once dark the kids skied down with instructors with torches, then all the adults snaked down in a torchlit descent. Loads of people made a tunnel at the end to ski through. It was just superb, I loved every minute. The friendly Italians and enjoyable skiing made up for a lack of other amenities for my daughter and I.
Stay in Pila.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
^^ Interesting. A few years back I spent a summer working down the valley from Aosta. Didn't go up to the city that often, but it seemed pretty cool from what I did see.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for the quick replies, looks like you are all counting down to the season too...

So it seems like Pila may be over grading their runs a touch compared to other places which was my suspicion. Perhaps for some marketing reason, perhaps that's the way it has always been. Good news.

@Weathercam, I also have stayed one night in Aosta in the past - in my case before going out touring in the Grand Paridiso. It seemed okay, quite bustling in the day and when I was there plenty of places to get a drink at night. But it was a hot April after Easter (Pila had closed) though, and I think a Saturday so it may be very different earlier in season.

@Cinsha, village sounds pretty standard/relaxed and Carnivale sounds great fun, although I find it hard that anything could beat skiing in deep fresh powder on a sunny day...
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I really like Pila. The best terrain is off piste. The on piste is similar to many other resorts. The off piste can be quite good. I had an outstanding day their a few years ago and would go back in a second. I really, really like Pila and think its a great ski area.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@NearlyFlying, unfortunately I cannot ski powder so cannot compare Carnivale/torchlit descent to that. 🙂
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I was in Pila in March and had a great week of skiing. I loved the exceptionally well groomed pistes and the great conditions certainly built my confidence as I never really found any nasty surprises. Whether blue red or black the pistes were generally wide. Some of the Reds had perhaps a steep part here or there but being wide this shouldn't pose a problem. The town of Pila is quite an unattractive purpose built resort with a few bars and cafes. As we were half board in a hotel we didn't eat out in the evening. The gondola down to Aosta closes at 5pm so spending an evening there was only an option if you had your own car or by taxi. We spent an afternoon there and the old town is quite interesting with some Roman parts to visit. There seemed to be plenty of bars and restaurants in the old town. Loved the skiing here.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I've been reliably informed that I've confused Aosta with somewhere else and we too had trouble with it being quiet at night but okay in the day.
So now leaning towards basing in Pila.

Sandee, thanks, thats really helpful both on the skiing and 5pm closing of the Gondola.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@NearlyFlying,
We go most years. Great little place. It is always difficult saying a Red is easy or not when I don't know what you are comparing it too; but.
Most of the Reds are easy apart from the odd steep bit, they are also generally wide so hence ok to do large diagonals on.
2 has a tight bit at the end of the run and 3 has a very steep (used to be blank) bit at the beginning and end though both are wide - also you can miss the steep bits by using the optional tracks.
End of 14 is tricky with a steep curved bit - but there is a green run round that too and well worth going on as when you have done it it is fun.
The worst bit is the green funnel back into town down to Lesse lift as that is busy - the rest are quiet when we have been so no trouble.
Loads more info here http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2820044&highlight=pila#2820044
Someone posted a link to filmed runs of all Pila piste in here recently, but can't find it now. I think it was on the Interski site so you may find it if lucky Some info here http://www.interski.co.uk/Holidays/videos.php

Its easier to stay in Pila as you are up there in the skiing. If you don't have a car the hike to the gondola from Aosta town is not to be considered easy. Have a try on www.pilaski.co.uk Carole will sort you out with what you want.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Loads of video of the runs on Youtube
http://youtube.com/v/667kwK5DmYQ
Cant find the other thing very annoying.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
My husband and I skied Pila last February half term and are booked again for next year. I happily skied reds all week with no problems and was very impressed with the piste grooming. Had a fabulous week and can't wait to go again. The pistes are wide but occasionally a little steep at the top but otherwise easily skiable. We have stayed in Pila itself at the La Chance a couple of years ago and down in Aosta at the Duca D'Aosta. Pila itself is very quiet at night and we really enjoyed being in the town. Highly recommend The Gekko bar and definitely try Grolle. ( multi spouted teapot filled with coffee, sugar and amaretto)
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We was there too at half term and it wasn't half as busy as I was expecting:

You must try the hot chocolate up the mountain - literally hot chocolate (or something similar). If you don't drink it fast enough it sets in the bottom of your mug!

We stayed in Aosta in an apartment booked thru AirBnB. It was a very easy walk in soft shoes to the gondola where we left out gear in heated lockers. This really is not a problem. It was handy too for me after I twatted my knee and was reduced to sightseeing on level ground.
snow conditions
@altis, I adore chocolate, as does my daughter but neither of us could drink (eat!?) the Hot Chocolate there. Too thick and sickly. Sad
snow report
A gold mine of information, thanks all! The videos run by run were particularly useful (impressed someone took the time to do that) and confirm the earlier advice that the runs are wide, not too tough and often not crowded.

@altis, Nice pic, hardly tracked at all! Tough break on the knee; what were the best sights in the area when you could no longer ski?
snow conditions
There are a few Roman remains (not very exciting really), a cathedral, an old tree and an archaeology museum. The square is pedestrianised, as are some of the side streets - some interesting shops and people to watch.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy