Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Large, snow-sure resort for mid-January?

Poster: A snowHead
Please help!

My friends and I are trying to figure out where to go for a week in mid-January for our annual European ski vacation. We have already sampled and loved:

3 Valles (stayed in Val Thorens)
Sankt Anton
Ischgl
Dolomites (stayed in Selva)
Cervinia/Zermatt
Interlaken area (stayed in Murren)

I was strongly considering Portes du Soleil, but am concerned that the snow coverage may not be very good in mid January (14-21) due to lower altitude. Is this concern misplaced?

If it isn't, what other areas would you recommend? My main criteria would be:
-the size of the ski area (I get bored skiing the same slopes over and over again, so prefer large resorts with enough difficult on-piste terrain- most of us are advanced skiers)
-reliability of snow coverage (going in mid January worries me, we usually go later in the year, but that's the only week one of my friends can make it)
-visual appeal of the mountains and village (visiting the Alps from the States, so a pretty alpine village would be a bonus)

Thank you in advance for your advice!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@alenchic, Ah yes! The mystical search for the Shangdi La of skiing — a resort you can book in October that is guaranteed to have great snow in January every time. snowHead

A timeless quest.

The best answer, is to wait until a few days before your dates, and then find out where all the great snow is in Europe. Then ring around and grab some accommodation in that resort. You could book your flights in advance — to Geneva say, as that covers so many resorts. Finding a transfer at the last minute is not an issue.

The second best option is to simply research which resorts historically have the best snow cover; and then keep your finger's crossed, in the hope that you have picked one of those years where the Gods of statistics have not decided to have fun with you...

Snow history on most resort available here:

http://www.onthesnow.co.uk/northern-alps/val-thorens/ski-resort.html

Have fun wherever you go! Very Happy
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks, PeDaSp Smile. That's an interesting suggestion... Coming all the way from the States it feels a bit risky to leave accommodations unbooked till the last moment, but I suppose it's not impossible. I'll have to see if my friends would be willing to be that adventurous Smile. I'm not worried about the transfers, but do you think finding a hotel last minute in mid-January would be a possible task? I've always planned these trips way in advance and I have never been to the Alps in January, so I have no idea how busy it gets there at that time.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Val d-Isere/Tignes has the snow record and vertical. It would be a nice addition to your ski resort collection. I have been doing the same from Boston for a number of years. Last year we went to Champery/Port de Soleil in January and it rained. Our hotel very nice and let us out early. We booked last minute up in Saas Fee and what had been rain in Champery was snow up in Saas Fee.

You might also consider Lech. We've been in January and are going again this season. Even though it's hooked on to St. Anton, the snow record is much better. For whatever reason the Lech/Zurs/Warth area gets a lot more snow.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
+ 1 Val D'Isere/Tigne.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
"..I was strongly considering Portes du Soleil, but am concerned that the snow coverage may not be very good in mid January (14-21) due to lower altitude. Is this concern misplaced?.."

No - unless you book Avoriaz..
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@alenchic, if you are familiar with Intrawest builds, you could always consider Les Arcs 1950. A bit chocolate box (or 'Disney interpretation of what an alpine village "ought" to look like' ) for some Europeans, but think Keystone, and you won't be far off.
There are 400+ km of pistes, plus off piste in the Paradiski area, and for sure, there will be snow: as the name implies it is, at 1950m (well, actually 2050, but since it is below a previously built and named Arc 2000, it would have been a bit embarrassing to insist on accuracy...).

It is also just down the road from Val D /Tignes, and 3V, and Ste Foy, and, and, and... so if you do run out of things to do... (but you won't).
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Jack & @suec- thank you! I will look into Val d'Isere. Sounds promising!
@albob- thank you! That's what I was suspecting. And I heard things about architecture in Avoriaz that were slightly off-putting Smile, so was leaning towards Morzine, should I ever make it to that area.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Arctic Roll- I'll research Les Arcs 1950 as well! I can live with a bit of chocolate Smile.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Val d'Isere/Tignes or Les Arcs tick your boxes.

Personally I would choose Val over Les Arcs as it has a bit more soul.

BTW Avoriaz is not that bad as purpose built resorts go but the links to the full PDS do seem to be a bit more fragile than those at Val or Les Arcs.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
alenchic wrote:
Thanks, PeDaSp Smile. That's an interesting suggestion... Coming all the way from the States it feels a bit risky to leave accommodations unbooked till the last moment, but I suppose it's not impossible. I'll have to see if my friends would be willing to be that adventurous Smile. I'm not worried about the transfers, but do you think finding a hotel last minute in mid-January would be a possible task? I've always planned these trips way in advance and I have never been to the Alps in January, so I have no idea how busy it gets there at that time.

Counter-intuitively, if you are coming all the way from the states, then that is all the more reason to book later, once you know there is good snow coverage! Would be hell to arrive with not good snow. It's booking the accommodation in advance that is in a way "adventurous". Very Happy And as I said before, you can book your flights to Geneva in advance no problem.

Luckily, mid-Jan is a very good time to visit the Alps, as historically, most resorts have good snow by then — take a look at the link I posted earlier in this thread.

Plus the good news is that in mid-Jan, there are almost zero European school holidays, as you can see from this excellent Snowheads info page:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=124749

So that means the pistes and accommodation will not be crazy busy.

If you go for one of the huge resorts in the Tarentaise Valley; then you can't go wrong really:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarentaise_Valley

So the giant resorts there are:

Les Trois Vallées [largest linked ski-resort in the world]

Paradiski

Espace Killy

They are all high resorts, and historically, have good snow. Val Thorens is the highest ski resort in Europe, with modern lifts and vast snow making. It's part of Les Trois Vallees — and I will be there in mid-Jan as well for two weeks! snowHead

Be carful of Morzine which is low resort and part of the PortDu Soleil ski area.

There is so much accommodation available, that you will be able to find something, somewhere for sure. And maybe even at a great price. You wouldn't necessarily have to leave it right to the last minute, as perhaps the snow will have dumped by Dec/Jan and all will be well.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@alenchic,

I'd support the idea of booking flights now (I'd say Geneva) and accommodation nearer the time. It is the perfect time for doing that - very quiet so you'll have no problem finding something.
That said, by mid Jan you will almost certainly have good cover although why not get the best snow you can?
All things being equal though Val D'Isere would be a great choice.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Val d'Isere. The resort I'll keep coming back to until I can no longer ski!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
You should get reasonable snow in the higher resorts by mid January and often in most resorts but some years it can be scratchy in anyone resort and that includes Val d'Isere. The worst holiday week I have had for snow conditions was in Tignes in 30 years of skiing, though if I was committed to booking in advance it would be one of the very best bets.
Personally I would leave it till late but get flights to Geneva or possibly Zurich and then see where the snow falls.
From Geneva I would add Verbier to those mentioned and if the snow in the western alps is poor relative to the central alps you can get across to Davos which generally has excellent snow early season and has a large ski area.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Stayed in Morzine last year at around the same time you are planning to go (maybe a week later) and we had no problem.
I'm not saying the snow was great because it wasn't, there was a few green patches, and it did rain. However, i've skiied worse and up top in the Avoriaz bowl there was some great snow.

I don't think you would have a problem there as there is extensive snow making facilities.

If you do go check out Bec Jaune in Morzine, doing some amazing Beer and their Scotch Eggs are second to none.
snow report
TQA wrote:
.. Personally I would choose Val over Les Arcs as it has a bit more soul....

Well Les Arcs is more "family", so the off piste is less contended. And they have more trees. And there are fewer 03:00 shouting drunks.
snow conditions
Mid-Jan is peak-Winter.

Most everywhere above ~700m / 2000ft will have snow or snowguns.

Zermatt;
Verbier;
Courchevel 1850.
snow report
I'd also agree that Espace Killy (Val D'Isere/Tignes) is the place to aim for
snow conditions
I'd echo the suggestion to book flights to Geneva (GVA). It's not a big deal, but if you can, avoid Saturdays, as (like most ski hubs) it's much more relaxed on a Weekday and you may get cheaper car hire rates. Car hire at Geneva is easiest from the Swiss side, in my experience. Go to the GVA website as this drops you in the .ch car hire pages as opposed to .com for most of the hire companies, which may have offers not available via the .com pages (not guaranteed, but sometimes). http://gva.ch/en/desktopdefault.aspx/tabid-72/

I'll bat for taking a look at the 4 Valleys (Verbier area):http://en.verbier.ch

As an alternative to driving, Swiss public transport is very integrated and the Swiss rail website lets you schedule and price-up getting the train from the airport and then bus/gondola to the Swiss resorts. http://www.sbb.ch/en/home.html There are tickets for foreigners-only that offer transit out/back to a 'point of entry' such as GVA. However, generally, car hire will be cheaper for 4 or more. But going by train/gondola could be part of the holiday, and less stress for the driver.

Many Alpine resorts (not just Swiss) have 'satellite' areas which are cheaper but linked to the main area. La Tzoumaz is where we have an apartment and one such (so I declare a bias here) for Verbier: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/article-2296527/How-Verbier-cheap--stay-little-sister-La-Tzoumaz.html and https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2014/dec/06/satellite-ski-resorts-verbier-four-valleys-switzerland

While these articles invariably focus on luxury catered chalets (why would a journalist being offered a free week go for anything less?) much of the accommodation is apartments or apart'hotels and lots of rental agencies exist handling private bookings from mainland European clients. Our agent is one such: http://www.carron-immobilier.ch/en/ - just bear in mind that 'rooms' means bedrooms+lounge so 2 bedrooms is 3 rooms. Note that 'sleeps 'x' may include a sofa-bed for 2 in the lounge. The Tourist Office in these places will also help you find somewhere, and may include private owners who deal direct: http://www.latzoumaz.ch/en/index.htm

A friend of mine built and owns a new chalet in La Tzoumaz http://www.chaletcathay.com if you're looking up-market but don't want to pay a premium. It's been mentioned in Vogue magazine. FYI I've no interest in bookings, it's just somewhere I've seen inside of and it is close to the gondola.

To give you an idea of Switzerland costs, think Vail. In fact when we went to Vail the cost/head overall (excluding flights) was more than Verbier in the New Year. But I won't disagree that it's more expensive than France, Italy etc.

There's nothing wrong with other areas of the Alps, just that I'm familiar with the 4 Valleys. And as mentioned, perhaps worth looking at somewhere more to the NE Alps as sometimes one side can be great while the other is suffering. And as with anywhere, nothing is guaranteed. At least in La Tzoumaz/Verbier you can have a day out in the valley at the thermal baths (https://www.bainsdesaillon.ch/en/). Other areas in Switzerland can be researched at the national tourist site http://www.myswitzerland.com/en-gb/home.html

Only other thing I'd say is that if you are Party Hounds then Verbier is definitely for you. Satellites are fine but generally pretty quiet in terms of night-life. One in-between solution that my son and his friends did was to stay in La Tzoumaz but party through the night and then go back on the lift in the morning. This needs college-age levels of stamina, however!

Hope this is useful.
latest report
I would say les arcs as well. It has the height and lots of variety. If you want self catering then 1950 is good and for hotels La Cachette in 1600 is not bad (although it has a new owner this year so may be different)
With the paradaski pass you can go to la plagne as well . Well worth it as you are coming a long way
snow report
One poster advocates flying midweek. If you do this you will find that your choice of accommodation will be restricted as most renters will be looking for full weeks with a weekend changeover usually Saturday.

Also transfer costs may well be higher.
latest report
I'd say you'd be pretty snow sure wherever you go at that time. It's good timing as there are no school holidays then , so it's low season. You could certainly wait till late to book accommodation without worrying at all.
Val d'isere is definitely worth a look.
Portes du Soleil will be fine too...and having lower resort heights can be a real plus when the weather closes in and you want some skiing below the tree line. The elevation is only part of it as the location in that part of the alps gets higher average snowfall than some of the resorts tucked further into the mountain range.
Why not look at basing yourselves in a different part of the 3V? Courchevel 1650 (Moriond) is nice.
snow conditions
Whitegold wrote:
Mid-Jan is peak-Winter.

Try telling that to the Kitzbuhel Hahnenkamm race organisers in 2007!! snowHead

In terms of temperature stats it's true that mid-Jan is on average the coldest period of the year in Europe, but in terms of snowcover, the lower slopes of many resorts don't reach their max depth until early Feb and upper slopes don't reach max snow depth until early-mid March.

Though the surface you ski on is more important than absolute depth, that will vary according to what's fallen recently in your chosen resort and low temps in mid-late Jan should preserve conditions well if enough has fallen.
snow report
BTW, my recommendation is Lech, Austria...fits all your criteria...it can be pricey, but as you have Ischgl & Zermatt on your list, that shouldn't be a problem...

1. Size of area...last 2 seasons have added new lifts that integrate the area with Warth/Schrocken and St Anton...so now offers a 340km ski circus.

2. One of the snowiest corners of the Alps...Warth/Schrocken has the highest snowfall averages in the Alps...Lech isn't far behind. If there isn't enough snow in Mid-Jan here, we might as well all give up!

3.Visual appeal...Lech has been very restrained in its development, so offers a lot of traditional charm...the setting with the Omeshorn keeping watch is impressive...

snow conditions
@alenchic, How many are in your group for this trip? Which day are you likely to arrive in the Alps? What type accommodation and eating arrangements do you prefer? You state most in your group are advanced skiers...is everyone in group at least a good intermediate (eg confident on reds and willing to tackle black pistes)?
Answers to those make a difference I think, especially early vs late booking but also most suitable ski areas.
ski holidays
Thank you all so much for advice! It is so kind of you to take the time to respond so thoroughly and helpfully. I realize that there is never any guarantee of good snow, but I'd like to at least know that I have done my homework and picked a place that's statistically likely to be a safer bet. It sounds like Val d'Isere is such a place, along with a few other options. We will have to leave Morzine for another year, when we are able to come in February rather than mid-January, just to minimize the risk (although we were in Ischgl last year in February, and it did rain- fortunately just in the village, not on the slopes). Now I'll have to poll my friends to see which of these options appeal to them Smile.

@intermediate- unfortunately we haven't 100% finalized the size of the group, which makes planning more difficult. It will be anywhere between 3-6 people. And 1 of them I would not classify as a good intermediate. She is unlikely to go on a black piste voluntarily. She usually joins the ski school and spends the week skiing in a group of her level. This means that I would prefer not to take her to a place that I would consider extra challenging for a non-confident skier, such as Sankt Anton, where the pistes on the way down to the village are a bit of a nightmare in the afternoon. As for accommodations and eating- we can be flexible. Most of the time we opt for B&Bs, but have also done half-board hotels and a self-catered apartment once. Never stayed at a chalet before, but I think that's because it is very common for British skiers, and not at all common in the US, so I honestly had no clue how those places operate and whether it's a good option.
ski holidays
P.S. @luigi, those photos of Lech look amazing! I skied through it back when I was in Sankt Anton, but it was back when the 2 resorts were only connected by a bus, and so I was short on time and we didn't linger in the village or truly enjoy the scenery. It looks especially stunning at night.
latest report
Is the first week in Jan usually okay in Val d'Isere?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just search back through the daily reports here and the pictures associated with it. You won't go wrong with Val D'Isere. http://www.alpineexperience.com/waynes-daily-diary/
snow report
erica2004 wrote:
Is the first week in Jan usually okay in Val d'Isere?

Usually but not always, see my earlier post, contrary to some opinions you can get poor snow there in January, though you'd be unlucky.
snow conditions
@alenchic, a group size between 3 and 6 should make a late accommodation booking fine in mid January. That is definitely what I would do and have done successfully many times.

One of your group being a steady intermediate and wanting ski school makes choice of base more important. For example, Val D'Isere, my personal favourite, can be intimidating for the timid. Home runs back to resort often notoriously difficult, especially in icy or hardpack conditions.

Accommodation entirely personal preference. In mid January, I usually find larger chalets and chalethotels offer great deals. I prefer a rest from food shops, cooking and washing up! Given the strength of USD v GBP now, booking a package through a British operator likely to get you a great deal.
snow conditions
intermediate wrote:
Home runs back to resort often notoriously difficult, especially in icy or hardpack conditions.

It's easy to get the gondolas down though, no need to ski the tough home runs.
ski holidays
@HoneyBunny, Have to agree with you there. Even when there is a home run, often it will be congested with skiers and very wet, chopped & slushy.

In such circumstances, I will often take a lift from the half-way station back to the resort, or even from the top. I remember when I first did this in Saalbach, I was surprised that the folks in the gondola with me were ski instructors and locals. I asked them how come you guys are taking the lift down? They said are you crazy? We are not going to ski in what they termed "ankle breaking" snow surrounded by useless skiers, a good few of whom were drunk.
snow report
@HoneyBunny, @PeDaSp, agree with you both. Never understood why many skiers ignore a lift ride down a mountain, then struggle on a tricky home run.

Thought I'd mention potential difficulty of Val D home runs, as OP said...
Quote:

I would prefer not to take her to a place that I would consider extra challenging for a non-confident skier, such as Sankt Anton, where the pistes on the way down to the village are a bit of a nightmare in the afternoon.
ski holidays
@alenchic, if you do go to Val D'Isere then reasonable off piste skiers will have a good/great morning out with Alpine Experience if you wanted to pay for an off piste guide, either joining a group or taking a private group out. You will probably need to book in advance. http://www.alpineexperience.com/off-piste/

I'd also recommend a fellow snowhead, Steve Angus or his wife Clare Richards if she'd like a lady , for lessons. They both work at http://www.tdcski.com/val_disere/ - once again worth booking in advance if you can.
snow report
@erica2004, it's not usually OK at that time, it's usually the best place to go in the alps.
latest report
@alenchic, Verbier, meets your criteria. My favourite ski area outside Austria but its too expensive nowadays for me to consider. Espace Killy great too but off piste better in Verbier IMO. Also suggest you look at Chamonix and Ischgl.

Portes de Soleil is good also, but the above it isn't, skied there many times. Snow will be good though, as it will in all the others listed below, if it isn't we're all in trouble!

My top 5 are

Arlberg/ Vorarlberg
Verbier
Chamonix/ Argentiere
Ischgl
Espace Killy
ski holidays
Another one for Tignes - same snow as Val D'isere, different resort, less expensive and slightly different clientele. Snow will not be a problem - based on owning a property there and having skied mid jan there for 15 out of the last 20 years.
latest report
@PeDaSp, your story gives me hope Smile. While I have never taken a lift down at the end of the day, I do vividly recall my apprehension of skiing down to Ischgl last year. Mushy snow, hundreds of skiers around you skiing with various degrees of skill and speed... At one point my friend and I just hung out at the side of the slope for 20 minutes waiting for the throngs to pass before venturing down ourselves. Really not enjoyable and seriously the most dangerous thing you do all day. Perhaps I should still my pride and adapt to taking the lifts down as well. I just really don't enjoy skiing in a crowd.

We are definitely strongly leaning towards Val d'Isere/Tignes at this point. Although we may hold off booking accommodations till a bit later in the season.

About Verbier- I was under impression that while off-piste there is great, piste skiing is less stellar than at most of the other large resorts?
ski holidays
I would also got to Tignes /Val D as it ticks all the boxes.
Alpe d'Huez is an option, not as big but plenty of high altitude skiing and would be nice and quiet in mid January.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy