Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New boots v rental

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all – my first post after recently joining Happy

I’m off to St Anton for a week in March as a relative novice mostly self-taught skier capable of getting down most blue and red runs with little grace or technique.

I’m currently re-equipping myself with the necessary gear and wondered if buying my own fitted boots will be a worthwhile investment over renting in the resort.

I understand they will always be better, more comfortable and the default answer will be ‘yes’ but at my modest level will I REALLY notice the difference over a good pair of resort rentals and they'll make a difference ?.

I live in North Wiltshire so fortunately close to a few boot fitters you all rate very highly.

Many thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

I understand they will always be better, more comfortable and the default answer will be ‘yes’ but at my modest level will I REALLY notice the difference over a good pair of resort rentals and they'll make a difference ?.

If you are going to ski every season I would say - do it.
That said, just to manage your expectations:
I don't think you should EXPECT that your own carefully fitted boots will be more comfortable than rentals at first. The thing about rentals is they only have to fit you for that week so you don't have to allow for the liners to pack out - they can with them quite big. When you buy your own boots they need to fit immediately but also after many weeks skiing so they need to be really snug to start. This isn't always especially comfortable.
But the big benefit of your own boots is the precision - the way that movements directly transfer to your skis. That and the ability to deal with any alignment issues you may have.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Rusco, Welcome to SnowHeads.

As always in these cases, it depends Smile

If you are lucky enough to have equally sized, and standard shaped feet and calves, then you may be happy with rental boots, although by March any new rental boots will probably be showing some signs of wear.

Have you experienced issue with boots in the past, if so what were they?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Buying your own boots is a good investment if you are going every year, but if you want to improve technique etc... lessons would be a better investment to begin with imv.

If cash is no issue, do both.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

If you are going to ski every season I would say - do it.

+1

I had rentals for a week in Canadia, perhaps not the best skiing (I was still relatively novice) but definitely the most fun. They were beat up old things, but I had no problems at all so figured I would by some similar in the summer sale. Turns out they were about 5 sizes too big (before they'd stretched), god knows how I managed to turn. Anyway the boots I ended up buying fit really well and make skiing fun, unlike some of the poor fitting rentals I'd had before. Definitely worth it, and a recommendation for whoever it was at Snow+Rock Port Solent!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Rusco, I am same standard as you & also self taught. I had rentals initially & only managed 2 hours before feet gave up & I had to stop. What came next might not go down well here but I was passing decathlon one day & popped in, they had Head boots reduced to £65. What the hell I tried them on & they were such a great fit out of the box I got them. On my first outing I skied for 6 hours plus & only stopped due to knackering out the kids, such a difference!
Moral is get your own comfy boots but they do not have to cost the earth.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ignoring other factors like cost, etc I'd say getting your own properly fitted boots has more benefit for skiers with average technique than those with perfect technique, because the latter will have the skill to work around any limitations in the boot fit.

The main thing you get with properly fitted boots is a better connection with the ski. Unless you're VERY lucky the heal 'pocket' on even a good-fitting pair of hire boots won't perfectly match your heal so you'll get a degree of heal lift - and if you've got heal lift it's only really the balls of your feet that are connected with and controlling the skis. The better the fit of the boot the less of things like heal lift you get so the more of your foot that's connected to and controlling the ski and the more control you have over the ski. And the more control you have over your skis, the more confidence you in the skis and the more you commit forward and to the edges, and the better the skis work.

All that AND you can almost forget you're wearing them*!

* Till you need to use a French mountain-top toilet which WILL be down a flight of teflon-tiled steps.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mjit wrote:

* Till you need to use a French mountain-top toilet which WILL be down a flight of teflon-tiled steps.

10/10 Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
In my humble opinion having your own well fitting boots is the biggest single step anyone past the absolute beginners stage can make.

Go to a good boot fitter in the resort, explain what you want and if necessary go back every night and get the fit tweaked so you get control and comfort.

I did this in 1982 and skied the same pair of Salomons for the next twenty years, the best investment in skiing terms I ever made.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I bought what I thought were good fitting boots (came from boarding over to skiing), but after 2/3 trips started to notice how much heel lift I was getting in them. managed to plos on for another couple of holidays/ trips and then bit the bullet in the summer and got me some nice new boots which fit so much better. But I'll be honest that when I first came over form boarding to skiing, I didn't know what I needed/wanted/ or what felt good, so its worth not jumping in straight away.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
All good advice above. New boots is definitely a good idea, BUT.....

Don't expect them to be more comfortable than rental boots. The fact that your own boots will be a better fit and less sloppy is almost the definition of less comfortable. Some people don't get on with rental boots and they are therefore the ideal candidates for buying their own boots. For those of us who don't have feet like a deformed Gollum ( Very Happy ) then I'd wager rental boots are probably more likely to be comfortable. Certainly when I look at the people I ski with, the ones who feel the need to unclip their boots at every opportunity (chairlifts, lunch stops etc.) are almost always those with their own boots.

So, I'd say .... Buy your own boots for better performance, not necessarily for more comfort.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
foxtrotzulu wrote:

Don't expect them to be more comfortable than rental boots. The fact that your own boots will be a better fit and less sloppy is almost the definition of less comfortable. Some people don't get on with rental boots and they are therefore the ideal candidates for buying their own boots. For those of us who don't have feet like a deformed Gollum ( Very Happy ) then I'd wager rental boots are probably more likely to be comfortable. Certainly when I look at the people I ski with, the ones who feel the need to unclip their boots at every opportunity (chairlifts, lunch stops etc.) are almost always those with their own boots.

So, I'd say .... Buy your own boots for better performance, not necessarily for more comfort.

Would not agree - snug does not mean less comfortable. As per my own experience, before fitted boots I had a pair that was a size too big and they were comfortable once you put them on. After an hour skiing they were wobly as a result i was constantly making up them tighter - resulting in a disaster.... my current fitted boots only need to be fastened until the first light resistance on my buckles and I even do not undo my buckles once I stop for lunch
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Rusco, Welcome to the forum, and congratulations on asking one of the most important questions you could!

Posters before me have given excellent advice, which I totally agree with. Go to a good boot fitter and pay for a good pair of boots with a custom footbed and you be amazed at the difference.

What I would add, is that having your own boots adds consistency to your experience. So every time you go on a skiing trip, you are not having to re-learn a new pair of boots.

I like most other folks here — Colin at Solutions4Feet in the man to see. Bicester is only around 1:15 mins from North Wiltshire by car.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
foxtrotzulu wrote:

This is probably a personal experience thing, not a generalisation. I have my own boots and I'd literally NEVER touch a rental boot again. Not for performance, or comfort.

What some people forget, with their own boots, is like all new shoes they need wearing in. So that's why the phenomenon you describe can happen... rental boots have been worn in for a few weeks by the time you use them, so they're nice and flexible; whilst your own boots, even in their third year, might have only seen 15-20 days *actual* use, combined with 1000 days of being in a cupboard - so they're still stiff and trying to hold onto the shape that they were manufactured in. Once you've given them a good wear in, they'll be comfortable, flexible and easy to wear.

I tell my friends to buy their boots even before their first ski holiday - as soon as they've identified skiing as something they enjoy, by trying it in the fridge. It's never too soon to start wearing them and getting them perfect for your feet. And whilst people like Colin as mentioned above can do a great job of getting the boot perfected to your foot, nothing can really replace the age-old practice of wearing them around the house.

Half the reason people find boot discomfort is because they don't know how to use them. It was literally my third ski holiday by the time I'd worked out how to slide the adjusters along, and how to fine tune the levers by screwing them up and down. I'd always just assumed I was 'between sizes' and accepted some discomfort, it was a huge revelation when I found out I could fine-adjust the buckle!

Final point is that to buy the right boot, IMO, you have to (a) use a shop, where you can try things; and (b) go in with a completely open mind. Don't say "I want to try that one, and that one". Just say "I want some ski boots, can we try some options?". Basically there might be a style, or feature, or colour scheme you like... but the simple fact is that nobody has a 'standard' pair of feet. All boots fit slightly differently and the main important thing is a boot which will fit you the best. So you might have to forego the colour you wanted, or a cool little feature, if it just turns out that a boot you'd not shown interest in is actually the one that just so happens to fit your foot properly.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
foxtrotzulu wrote:

I think there are 3 options on the table:
1. Hire boots. (£)
2. Buy a pair of boots. (££)
3. Get a pair of boots fitted. (£££)

I would suggest the people you see unclipping every 5 minutes are in group 2. and most of us are recommending 3.

If you go to a boot FITTER it should be like buying a bespoke tailored suit. Each boot should match the size/shape and every hollow, lump and bump of the foot it fits and so isn't a little loose here or a little tight there.

If you just go to a boot SELLER you'll walk out with a pair of boots who's fit will depend upon which fitter you get/what mood they were in/how busy the shop was/etc. Some of the people in the high street shops are very good. Some aren't so good though, and even the best guy on busy Saturday when faced with a queue of boot shoppers and a store manager telling him he's being too slow and why can't he fit boots as quickly as Bob, who can 'fit' a pair of boots in 20 minutes isn't going to spend as much time as he should/would like with each customer. I can only speak for ProFeet (they did a good job so not needed to go somewhere else to get another pair of boots) but you can't just walk in, you have to book because they expect a fitting to take about 2hrs so each fitter can only handle 3-4 customer/day.
snow conditions
So far all the answers I see relate to the boots, which is fair enough as the OP was asking about them. However it seems to have been overlooked that he said he is a largely 'self taught'. For his further enjoyment, I would also suggest he invests in some proper coaching. It will undoubtedly help him get just as much more fun as a new pair of boots. As others have said, if planning on skiing regularly then definately invest in your own boots but also some coaching. Very few 'self taught' anything are particularly good at what they do.
latest report
My tuppence,

There are rental boots and rental boots.

Good rental shops will have a range of models and "levels" and you ought to be able to find boots that will hold your feet appropriately and be comfortable.

At an early stage, generally, the requirements - in particular in stiffness - are quite different from later stages so you may not want to make the investment until you are broadly speaking a confident intermediate.

Up to this point, a good shop will be able to rent you boots as required.

Boots do not soften over use. Rental boots are soft/flexible because they were built that way.

The liners do pack out but poor rental boots are often comfortable because they are too big anyway.

Again a good shop will advise appropriately.

At an early self taught stage good lessons probably a much better investment as "novice mostly self taught" IMHO translates into "hasn't got the first clue", I'm afraid.
ski holidays
[b]@under a new name--Last sentence, exactly what I meant. You just put it more succinctly.
latest report
@Old Man Of Lech, indeed, so you did. I couldn't resist reinforcing however. snowHead
latest report
Would recommend you get your own boots but don't expect them to be ultra comfortable to begin with. After my first trip I was hooked and noticed that a local ski shop (now closed) had a deal on for skis, boots and poles for £300 - all entry level stuff and boots had the minimal amount of "fitting" prior to leaving the shop. However they were great compared to rentals. After a few trips and progression in my skiing ability I upgraded to new boots and had them fitted at Solutions 4 Feet in Bicester by Colin (recommended on here all the time). On my first trip with them they were tight and restrictive (and a little uncomfortable) but made a HUGE difference to how responsive the skis felt underfoot, however after about 6 days skiing in them they are amazing and happy to wear them all day, walk to and from lifts in resort etc.

If you plan to ski often (and who doesn't once they are bitten by the bug) they are absolutely worth the investment and will pay for themselves after a handful of trips in sloppy, uncomfortable rental boots as well
snow report
@under a new name, @Old Man Of Lech, Quite right (I did note this view earlier on, but much less concisely / confidently than either of you....)
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
My tuppence,

There are rental boots and rental boots.

Good rental shops will have a range of models and "levels" and you ought to be able to find boots that will hold your feet appropriately and be comfortable.

At an early stage, generally, the requirements - in particular in stiffness - are quite different from later stages so you may not want to make the investment until you are broadly speaking a confident intermediate.

Up to this point, a good shop will be able to rent you boots as required.

Boots do not soften over use. Rental boots are soft/flexible because they were built that way.

The liners do pack out but poor rental boots are often comfortable because they are too big anyway.

Again a good shop will advise appropriately.

At an early self taught stage good lessons probably a much better investment as "novice mostly self taught" IMHO translates into "hasn't got the first clue", I'm afraid.

in hotels/challets/appartments where I stayed I saw of how people are treating renting boots - no surprice they are shite - e.g. overnight to dry they are not fastened, but wide open and stretched-out... so it is not only a good boot and a good rental shop, it is also the abuse received from the users
ski holidays
@mooney058, while treatment is surely not going to help, wide open and stretched out will help them dry and won't really do them any harm.
snow report
A couple of points, but I know not everyone will agree. I'd recommend getting your own boots in the resort itself. That way, you can go back to have adjustments made immediately, and then ski, re-adjust etc. Some resort shops will let you try a hire boot out and then give you a discount on buying new, or something similar. Many people have no problem buying in the UK but if you need serious levels of adjustment, then it could take years to get a point that you'd otherwise arrive at within a week, buying in the resort. Secondly, if you have your own boots that you're happy with and encounter problems in the future, then you know that the issue is with the hire skis, not some combination of hire boots/skis. I actually found the latter as useful as the comfort issue - I was out in Tahoe and hired some skis that for some reason were absolutely wrong for me - I knew my Bad Ski Day was because of the skis and swapped them at the end of the day.
latest report
@LaForet, I think those are good points.

However... for a UK based skier who might not be going back to the same resort each time, buying in the UK is probably more sensible as "patches" can be applied in resort for short term fixes.

Anyway, an early stage boot will (sort of) require less fitting as performance is not so demanding.
latest report
Hi all,

Firstly many thanks for the welcomes, replies, advice, suggestions and raising great points… much appreciated and very helpful !.

To fill in some gaps and answer some of the questions – I’ve found the hire boots on the 3x I’ve been (across 15 years) difficult to get tight enough to stop my foot wiggling inside (if that makes sense) which I’ve felt has slowed progress.. based purely on my own perception.

I have ‘normal’ feet and assume it’s a fitting/sizing thing. I plan to hopefully ski again, although this would only be annual short holiday type things, and do appreciate lessons will be beneficial. I’m happy to pay for fitted boots within reason if they will be of real benefit for someone of my modest current skiing ability. They are not cheap so, and this was really the point of my post, it’s if the cost v benefit made sense and they would make a difference.

So I think my plan will be.. look at getting fitted boots then take some lessons at the Gloucester dry slope (nearest one).

Many thanks again.
snow conditions
Can those that have fitted boots advise what the costs are & is there an additional cost over the purchase price for the fitting service
ski holidays
@Jonny996, generally, at least in my experience, if you buy the boots, etc, from the fitter, there's no additional charge. But you are less likely to find discounted boots and almost certainly you will have a custom footbed made which is an extra cost.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Many bootfitters won't charge an extra over the price of the boot and the insole (though don't don't expect them to match the cheapest price you've found on the internet). Some charge a modest fee for the extra work on the shell - but this is one off and al subsequent mods should be free.
snow report
@Jonny996, my local bootfitters don't charge extra to modify the boots for the life of the boots, but they don't offer discounts so the boots cost the same whether you buy them in December or April. Foot beds are extra (~£60).
snow conditions
Boots that give you good control AND are comfortable enough to wear all day without pain are PRICELESS.
ski holidays
Rusco wrote:

I’m off to St Anton for a week in March as a relative novice mostly self-taught skier capable of getting down most blue and red runs with little grace or technique.

I would spend your money on this : http://www.aviva.co.uk/life/

then the rest on this : https://www.bupa-quote.com/get-a-quote/?campaign=BupaQuotebupa&kw=bupa&provider=bupa&utm_source=&utm_medium=url&gclid=&gclid=CJ2n9KzX7M8CFasp0wodYLsBaQ
snow conditions
emwmarine wrote:
Rusco wrote:

I would spend your money on this : http://www.aviva.co.uk/life/

then the rest on this : https://www.bupa-quote.com/get-a-quote/?campaign=BupaQuotebupa&kw=bupa&provider=bupa&utm_source=&utm_medium=url&gclid=&gclid=CJ2n9KzX7M8CFasp0wodYLsBaQ

Whilst I know your post was humorous, it's not the dumbest thing ever.

There is nothing to be achieved by simply 'getting down' a run of any grade. In many if not most cases it just makes you a liability to yourself, and also to others.

That said, it probably doesn't relate (and that's not critical at you) to this thread really. At any grade of skiing I'd recommend your own, properly fitted boots. Skiing has to be enjoyable to be worth it (otherwise you are just senselessly throwing yourself down a mountain on a pair of fibreglass planks which is f Shocked Shocked Shocked ing stupid at the best of time) and I think comfort is probably a valuable part of enjoyment; nevermind the fact that reducing your fatigue will allow you to ski happier, for longer.
ski holidays
@Rusco,
A couple of points on boots, firstly financial.
Initially a reasonable capital outlay, but if you have fallen in love with skiing then you will find that the cost of new is covered by not spending on 3/4/5 weeks renting and they will last much longer than that.
Secondly. Never having to put your feet in boots that others have sweated in all season long, maybe even last season as well. Priceless
Thirdly. With good fitting boots generally the skis will go where you point your feet whereas with poorly fitted boots you will point your feet in one direction and the skis will go their own way.
You will not ski better with fitted boots alone but they will make the learning process easier.

The second best thing I did with boots was to buy from one of the major retailers, the best thing I did was to buy from one of the specialists highly recommended in this forum. I now wish that I had skipped the first step.
snow report
and then get £50 back by selling you 10 year old boots on fleabay just in time for February half term. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
@Timc, fair points, except that atbthe early learning (?!!) stage, improvement with good feedback/instruction is typically quite rapid so the boots required today would hopefully not be optimal in say 3 years time.

Plus the need for super sensitivity is much less.

Although, as I said earlier, poor rental boots are a nightmare. Braehead, you know who you are. I have no idea how anyone could learn to ski in those. I had to drop 3 full sizes to get a workable solution.

You do get shops that rent good, mid-high grade boots, e.g. Concept Chamonix pretty much only has a fleet of high level boots, which are easily good enough for pretty much anyone.

And not everyone needs - for comfort - boot fitting, nor indeed for one week a year, even a custom insole. I know I do, but I have custom insoles in my rollerblades and XC boots as well. I ski in a narrow last race boot, and I know it needs to be stretched in various places to be tolerable for more than 5 minutes.

But not everyone is me.
Blush
ski holidays
@Rusco, the interest you now have in boots probably means you should get some - it was after about three weeks that I got mine and they definitely made a difference.

But only three weeks on snow over more than a decade and mostly self taught suggests that lessons should definitely be on the cards too... (I finally stumped up the cash for boots after three weeks of solid lessons, not just holidays).
latest report
@Timc, the cost of hiring boots is approximately €40 per week, so it's probably going to take a little longer than 3-5 weeks to cover the costs. The timescale will also depend upon whether you incur any additional baggage fees for taking boots with you. The new fees have pretty much destroyed the financial argument for owning skis but if you are disciplined at least you may still be able to stuff skis in your suitcase.
ski holidays
foxtrotzulu wrote:
@Timc. .........if you are disciplined at least you may still be able to stuff skis in your suitcase.

If you fit hinges fore and aft of the bindings you could fold your skis and fit them in to a suit case. Toofy Grin snowHead
ski holidays
Pynch wrote:
Buying your own boots is a good investment if you are going every year, but if you want to improve technique etc... lessons would be a better investment to begin with imv.

If cash is no issue, do both.

On a less flippant note I'd go with Pynch, lessons are the way to go. imhv. snowHead
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy