Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sölden WC this weekend

Poster: A snowHead
Who's excited? No Anna Veith or Svindal though (still recovering). Snow on the glacier looks to be in good shape. Hopefully the forecasted dumpage will be over the next couple of days so it doesn't interfere with the event. Smile
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
No Vonn or Mancuso either. I don't think Vonn plans to do much tech events this season
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
To be fair, Vonn probably needs a season off. It's impressive that she can still ski after all the horrific injuries she's had. I'm no Vonn fan, but she is an incredible skier.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Tina, Tina, Tina.... Wink
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Very excited. Will be a popcorn event with kids in front of TV. It's on Eurosport?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Yes it's on Eurosport. My 9 month old will be watching it with me! I'm hoping exposure to snow sports this early means enthusiasm on the slopes in years to come. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Really looking forward to it... went to Kitzbühel for the first time last season and was a real eye opener (particularly after having skied the course on the Monday).! Can't wait to see it back on TV Smile
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Tordi, she usually skips Soelden, being a GS. Hopefully she'll be at Lake Louise in December
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
p20pjd wrote:
Really looking forward to it... went to Kitzbühel for the first time last season and was a real eye opener (particularly after having skied the course on the Monday).! Can't wait to see it back on TV Smile

Really? They let you on the full blown, race prepared Streif? How did you wangle that? Do you have a race licence or something?

Are you sure it wasn't the 'Familien Streif' i.e. the one for mortal, sane people! wink
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The race prepared Strief, normally opens up to the public on the Sunday afternoon. the race is Saturday night.....party and presentation Saturday evening and then they start to dismantle the course on Sunday morning....I was there 2 years ago and you could ski it by 1 pm on the Sunday, only bit that remains closed is the slalom piste as that race is sunday.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@robboj, they used to let you on the WC run after the race was over. Not sure they do that anymore. Anyway, I gave the Steilhang a go and discovered that it's not quite as easy as I thought. I fact it was a sheet of blue ice on a very steep slope which angles in every direction except the one you want to go. My greatest defeat. Hence my name.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@robboj - yep, just dropped in above the Mausefalle at the slightly lowered start hut and saw a hole in the fence at the top of the mausefalle (so just went through). The majority of the course is open (presuming that's part of the family sterif) but they fence off the steepest parts, steilhang, hausberg, mausefalle (which if you're daft enough like me and a few others it's easy enough to get through).

In most parts its just sheet ice but to be honest it had rained that morning so had softened up a bit which made it most of it very ski-able (only I was doing 10mph to their 90). The bottom part just as it straightens up for the run down to the finish is scarily steep too.

Me and the mrs also went through the start hut for the super-g and that was just rock hard sheet ice.

Amazing to do though..
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@p20pjd, @Steilhang, Cap doffed folks. Amazing what can happen when there's no elf'n'safety and no ambulance chasers touting for business.

Have been to the races several times but was only ever on the Streif in summer and thought it looked crazily steep. Mind you having walked other pistes that I have skied they always look steeper without snow for some reason.

@Steilhang, Yes you hear the race commentators talk about the surfaces in those terms but I don't fancy actually experiencing it!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Funny thing about the mausefalle and other 'jumps' is that whilst us mere mortals think they are steep as we have to actually ski them, the racers clear them in the air and land 80 metres further down so never actually touch them..!

The only bit I could ski with my skis pointing forwards was the flat part after steilhang (can't remember the name now).
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Some parts are actually easier to ski if you just go straight down Wink Race course on Streif is deliberately prepared with many bumps to make it more interesting for spectators and it's pain in the a** to get down from Hausberg to finish area slowly. So at least for me personally, easiest way to get down is just go straight, at least during racing weekend when track is full of bumps and ice. First you get over bumps easier with some speed, and edges engage easier when you have some speed. But I assume things get a bit more flat and therefore a lot easier once course is open for public. But either way it's not that scary to get down there, even during race weekend Wink
latest report
@robboj, have you watched Streif: One hell of a ride? I was stunned at how steep it was when Svindal (I think) was basically climbing up one section in summer. Shocked Shocked Shocked My 9 year old son has watched it multiple times and is determined to ski it when he is old enough. Laughing Laughing Laughing That is despite an ex-Team GB Racer telling him how scary it was. snowHead snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
Samerberg Sue always used to go and take fabulous pictures of the racers. I'll miss that. Sad
ski holidays
primoz wrote:
... But I assume things get a bit more flat and therefore a lot easier once course is open for public.

My impression is that there are more moguls after the races (e.g. on the Steilhang and Alte Schneise), so I always claim it is easier for the racers Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
@p20pjd, very jealous! I love Kitzbuhel, one of the highlights of the WC season I think. You're mad to ski it though, must be insanely icy.
latest report
Gaza wrote:
@robboj, have you watched Streif: One hell of a ride? I was stunned at how steep it was when Svindal (I think) was basically climbing up one section in summer. Shocked Shocked Shocked My 9 year old son has watched it multiple times and is determined to ski it when he is old enough. Laughing Laughing Laughing That is despite an ex-Team GB Racer telling him how scary it was. snowHead snowHead snowHead

Yes, great documentary. I think it was Hannes Reichelt in the bit you mention but it looks even steeper when you're standing on it, in fact in places you can't really stand still and have to keep moving. Would think it would be very difficult to try and walk down without falling.
snow report
queen bodecia wrote:
Samerberg Sue always used to go and take fabulous pictures of the racers. I'll miss that. Sad

Sad Sad Sad
snow report
Anyone got a live stream of the racing that I can watch from work?
snow report
@letsgetpiste, I haven't checked but normally the android app mobdro is a winner.
You'll have to search online for the apk file.
snow report
matejp wrote:
Tina, Tina, Tina.... Wink

Has today announced her retirement!

Gut is on fire!
ski holidays
@espri, same. We went at the end of the season and the moguls were person sized!

Nice win for Gut.
snow conditions
davehk wrote:

Gut is on fire!

Have you tried peptobismol?
snow conditions
And now for the start of the men's season.

Got a sneaky feeling that we may do a last minute to watch a race somewhere. Any recommendations on best WC venue for downhill/super G where spectators can get up close to the action (on skis preferably)??
snow conditions
Wengen always looks good from a spectator point of view. Amazing scenery also!

We nearly went a few years ago, but I found accommodation really hard to come by.....think it gets booked up very early as it's such a popular event.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks @tordi. Will look into that. To do it on a budget, I think we will need to stay elsewhere and get transport into the event. Kitzbühel is actually pretty good for that by train, not sure about Wengen though as never been.
ski holidays
Anyone know when/time and on what station these races are?
snow report
@Old Man Of Lech, Eurosport. Started at 09:00 BST for the first run and second run is on now. (12:10 BST.
snow report
@Old Man Of Lech, Eurosport second run just started
snow report
Anyone have problems with the Eurosport Player? I'm finding it extremely erratic, have to reload every few minutes when the picture goes. Not a problem with my wifi connection, seems to be the website
latest report
@moseyp, I have a problem with Eurosport cutting short the coverage of the first run to show table tennis! Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
snow report
@Gaza, not much they can do about that if it doesn't fit into the time slot. They show the rest of the race without commentary on the other channel

But it drives me mad how bad a service it is for (now) €6.99 a month. Last year I had similar problems with the streaming quality, plus the schedule not reflecting what they actually showed and one time they let another sport overrun and didn't show a scheduled race. Now the sub has gone up!

They also need to sort out the colours on the split time box
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy