Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Aosta off piste, and touring.

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm doing this season in Aosta rather than Chamonix this year.
I already know Courmayeur very well, and Fatmap have a lot of info on Cervinia, I've also done a bit in Gressonay.
Any advice on other must do runs or tours in other resorts in the area. Any guide books recommended.
I'm hoping to do Gran Paradiso in early April.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@jbob, I've always fancied the tour that ends (maybe starts) in Crevecol.

I have a map of the Pila area and I think that came with some routes. I'll have a look. where are you staying in Aosta ? In addition a friend is a member of what appears to be an local ski touring club. I can try and get the name if it's helpful.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?

I think it's the Col Serena, (the V just right of the middle of the photo). More to the right of the photo is Testa di Mezzo Dì which has a tour up. If you look closely you might just spot some skiers and tracks.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@AndAnotherThing.., thanks. I have skied at crevecol, and liked it a lot. It's tiny but there were loads of folks skiing up. I'll look it up on camp to camp. I've got an Appartment very close to Aosta town. I'm really looking forward to exploring somewhere new ish.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@AndAnotherThing.., I think I did col serena in the summer from the other side!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Keep an eye out for the book "Freeride. Fuori di traccia: Vol 2". It seems to be out of print now and I still haven't been able to track down a copy. IIRC, Vol 1 covers Courmayeur, La Thuille and La Rosière whilst Vol 2 covers Pila and Gressony(?).

The piste map for Pila shows three rando routes out the back (but we didn't have the weather/time to try them):
http://www.pilaski.co.uk/images/Map/Pila-Piste-Map.jpg

But you don't have to go out of the resort to find good stuff - even at half term!

latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Get a copy of Orrizonti Bianchi Itinerari Scelti di Scialpinismo in Valle d'Aosta (2 vols). Usually available in Cidac for about €20. Full descriptions of all the most popular ski touring routes in the valley, with outline maps and illustrations. In Italian but usually fairly easy to interpret/understand.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@jbob, for lift-served off piste Pila and La Thuile both have a fair bit to go at and can be amazing on their day...
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
oh yes, and if I was based over that side for any length I would definitely be looking at road-tripping down to places like Artesina (with the right snow reports/forecast...) .
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks all.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy