Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Horn - New Red Bull TV Show

Poster: A snowHead
The Horn ( Matterhorn) got released on red Bull TV earlier today.

It is a mini series documentary based on Air Zermatt and their rescue missions. Just about to start watching it but judging by the trailer and everything else red bull do have a good feeling about it.

Episode 1: http://www.redbull.tv/video/AP-1N849GEKD2111/collection/AP-1N849F87H2111:episode/the-crevasse

Trailer:

http://youtube.com/v/f-YCalUPnRc
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The Horn Puzzled

Sounds like it should be on a very dodgy late night channel Shocked
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@extremerob, Thanks for posting this - we just watched the first three episodes back to back - really good. Absolutely in awe of those guys and what they do, and it looks really nice too!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Don't know much about ski patrol/rescue and I loved the first episode. Real respect for these people.....
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It's a great series.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
the first episode is seriously gripping.
I've 5 hrs left in work and nothing to be done, guess i'll finish watching this today Smile
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
just started the wrong way around and watched episode 6 but omg wow what an amazing show with some amazing people. I guess its the same for anyone in a rescue job but the conditions for these people ....

great recommendation many thanks @extremerob,
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Watched the first one this morning! cheers for the tip @extremerob, snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I watched "the crevasse". Shudder. I've practised the theory of building a pulley system to pull another climber out of a crevasse and always thought: is there really a hope in hell of actually doing this in a party of two i.e. on the surface on your own? It also makes me think: skiers think climbers are mad because many if not most don't carry avalanche beacons. Climbers think skiers are mad because they venture onto snow-covered glaciers without roping up.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Glad to hear that a few others are enjoying it - I'm 4 episodes in and thinking redbull need to produce one next season following the safety patrol guys that do all the avalanche preparations - thinking something at EK would be great - Steve Angus always has really interesting posts about the AVI prep and rescues in his thread.

I know a great film has been done on this - Snow Guardians - highly recommend it.

Trailer -
Snow Guardians Teaser Trailer from F9photo
https://vimeo.com/38270225
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Just watched the first two, it's got a hint of the 24 Hours in A&E about it, which is no bad thing. What always seem to stand out to me in things like this is the people, always remarkably humble (guess it could just be edited that way) and the mental strength required to do the job is admirable. Much as I dislike the fact that Red Bull are pedaling terribly sugary drinks to the world I have to admit that what they've done for extreme sports and decent filmmaking is simply fantastic.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
A great first episode. Defo going to watch the others.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Enjoying this. Cheers.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Great first episode - I was going to post about it this AM but just saw @extremerob's OP. Came across it on Apple TV. Can't wait to watch the 2nd one tonight. Having been to Zermatt a few times it really strikes a chord.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@extremerob, thanks. Justed watched the first one.
snow report
SnoodyMcFlude wrote:
Much as I dislike the fact that Red Bull are pedaling terribly sugary drinks to the world I have to admit that what they've done for extreme sports and decent filmmaking is simply fantastic.

I feel exactly the same. Can't believe the return in revenue justify's the cost of a lot of their projects and therefore can only believe the guys at the top have a genuine love of extreme sports...still won't make me drink the muck though!

I also felt the same towards Nike and was gutted when they pulled out of snowboarding. They organised some truly original events!
ski holidays
I couldn't watch "The Crevasse" without turning away at times - doesn't get closer to real life / death situations than this. These guys are heros.
ski holidays
I was put onto this by my Bro. One of the better docus I've ever seen of this type. An excellent balance of brutal realism, story telling and insight into the job and people. Brilliant
ski holidays
@SnoodyMcFlude, Red Bull are a marketing company. The drink was one of the finest bits of marketing they did to get their brand into the mainstream, love it or hate it 😉
ski holidays
Quite a bit of product placement for Black diamond.
snow conditions
@jbob, I mostly noticed Hamilton.

Finished watching the last episode this evening, really good series. The paramedic Patrick strikes me as remarkably nice, he seems to care so much about everything that he does.
ski holidays
Sugar water likely kills more people than the mountains could ever manage, but they'd hardly be sponsoring obesity or diabetes clinics filled with those who actually use their product.

I suppose that eventually it'll be illegal like advertising cocaine or tobacco or alcohol or assault rifles. I'm not sure what the effect of removal of that type of sponsorship had in the past; probably less than one may think.
snow report
philwig wrote:
I suppose that eventually it'll be illegal like advertising cocaine or tobacco or alcohol or assault rifles. I'm not sure what the effect of removal of that type of sponsorship had in the past; probably less than one may think.

Yep, I've thought for a while now that 'Energy' drinks are destined for the same fate as tobacco....whereupon a new evil will step in. Motorsport used to be all tobacco sponsorship (Camel, JPS, Malboro, 555, Lucky Strike, Gauloises, Rothmans etc.) but is now engery drinks (Monster, Red Bull, Relentless, KX, Rockstar etc.). The one worry is that, below F1, there is more income from energy drinks than there used to be from tobacco. Certainly events like Rallycross rely very heavily on it, as do a number of 'extreme sports'
latest report
At least they've stopped calling the zero
calorie version an 'Energy Drink'.
ski holidays
@Tubaski, Laughing
But what a brilliant and sensitive series. Even allowing for editing, the personalities came through well.
latest report
Just one episode left to go, enjoying them all.
latest report
Watched the first one - pretty well done.

I couldn't work out who was the controller for the rescue though - it can't actually be a jolly family of friends muddling through on training and experience. There must be a controller sitting somewhere orchestrating with those radios. Some of the continuity was odd - they had at least two AS350 machines, one with a ski basket, the other without, and they switched at least once from one to the other. They cut the blue sky sequences against the cloudy which looked a bit odd.

But worth watching, and they didn't try to sell any sugar water.
ski holidays
They also cut a lot of different flight footage. Snow on the floor in Zermatt one shot, grass the next.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I watched all the extra bits on the train last night. Some are just footage from the shows edited together (Profiles etc), but others are interesting in their own right (e.g. how they filmed it).
latest report
ooo, didn't know there were extra bits. Shall watch those tomorrow. Child has me going to Freestyle night at Cas tonight,
snow report
@scotspikey, yeah I think that they get some stock shots and use within the main story. Not uncommon on something like this, helps keeps costs down, especially if it avoids aerial shots.
snow report
@SnoodyMcFlude, I doubt ariel shots are a problem when you are shooting a documentary about helicopters 😀😀😀
snow report
@PeDaSp, I'm not so sure. If you want an aerial shot of a helicopter then you'll want another helicopter to take the shot. Do you think that Air Zermatt would offer that free of charge? They looked like a pretty slick business to me so i'd expect them to be pretty swift with the invoicing.
snow report
I think it's called "B Roll".
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy