Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where to take the misses in Austria?

Poster: A snowHead
I’m trying to choose me next visit to Austria.
What I need is a place that wows my wife and makes her want to get up and ski everyday.
This means an easy way down every hill, and chocolate box gumlicshkiet mountain restaurants that are not too crowded. A wide variety of sophisticated apres ski venues. +Lots of sunshine.

Courmayer in Italy came close with earing shops galore & promenading every evening along the Via Roma.
Kitz used to do it.
St Anton is too rowdy and I can't afford Lech.
We have been very disappointed in Niederau which is a one pizzeria town.

The question is … Zell am Zee ... Will it do it for me?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Get a credit card and go to:

1. Zermatt;
2. Lech;
3. Klosters.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Whitegold always suggests the most expensive options rolling eyes. Zell am Zee meets the brief pretty well, although I think the skiing there is a bit limited. Serfaus isn't a big town (basically one long street with a few decent après bars) but the skiing would suit you and the mountain huts are lovely. I'm sure someone will be along soon to recommend Saalbach but I've not actually skied there yet.

Lech is expensive but it's worth looking at booking some of the smaller hotels direct. Hotel Fernsicht is our favourite and if you look at their website they do some good deals at the end of the season.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Misleading title - I was expecting a whole other thread about the Frauleins not the Missus wink
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@DrLawn, Saalbach for the skiing as shops are relatively few. Zell am See for the missus - plenty shops in the 'county town' which is as busy in summer as winter. Skiing kms wise Zell is a bit of an enigma now, it seems to have been plenty for everyone until mega resorts came to fashion. Some damned good runs though and several top to bottom options. To be be fair from 18/19 they should be fully linked into the Saalbach-Hinterglemm-Leogang Ski Circus which will be excellent. I would stay in Zell and then you have the hill there, with both Kaprun and the Kitzsteinhorn glacier and Saalbach easily reachable by ski or post bus if you get bored in Zell. All of it proper chocolate box pretty as well. If you go late Jan/early Feb there's also a chance of the lake being frozen for skating etc. Your Mrs probably won't like the village runs in Zell but plenty options to download from mid mountain.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
For skiing I'd rather be in Hinterglemm or Saalbach than Zell. Zell is a messy inconvenience IMV by virtue of its specific geography.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ischgl provided she's happy to take the gondola down at the end of the day.

Saalbach doesn't tick the sophisticated apres box.

Possibly Wolfenstein/Selva Gardena but I can't speak to the apres there.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Schladming? Wagrain? Maria Alm?

Have skied all of them but only have experience of après in Wagrain and Schladming.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@DrLawn, oh- you mean which resort!

I completely misunderstood.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks for the advice lads ... but have any ladies got a slant on this?
I know a lot of the suggested places quite well, and so does she, but a long time ago.

This is a difficult one, but it pays dividends to treat her well.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Zell am See is absolutely stunning because of the views over the lake, but I don't remember there being lots of sophisticated apres bars and the runs back to the village are mainly black!

I think Saalbach would tick most of the boxes. It's pretty, has lots of charming apres bars (not just party ones) like the Zum Turn and the Eva Alm on the main street.

The mountain huts are all lovely, especially the Alte Schmiede and the Asitz Brau. Oh and there are plenty of easy runs as well.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ischgl, was nice, good apres, lots of shopping, but I like to be one of the first on the mountain and last off it, with the apres ski the first bar I hit after a ski home, in Ischgl though the run home wasn't the nicest, lots of people using the same run, however take the gondola down and all the problems are solved.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Cheers @HoneyBunny,
Those mountain huts at Saalbach are great ..
We had a wonderful week in one back in the 80's
I think it was "Simal Alm" ... great food Schwein Haxen.
Self service beer after about 1am..
Parties would come there most night to toboggan back down.
I think we only managed to get into town one night and we found it dull compared with back at the Jauser Station.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@clarky999, +1 for Selva Val Gardena, took the girl I was seeing at the time there (actually she took me) a couple of years back.

Food amazing, some nice shops (although not extensive), you've got everything with the skiing as it's on the Sella Ronda, ice skating, you can also watch the ice hockey and there's a couple of really nice bars although it's not massively busy if you're looking to party afterwards.

Would recommend the Oswald to stay if you decide.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Depends what she likes - not sure I can speak for 51% of the population. I've enjoyed many resorts in Austria for different reasons.

I personally enjoy a nice design hotel with spa and pool (outdoor a welcome bonus). More interested in a quick drink or three on the way down than serious apres- we've usually managed to find somewhere 'sophisticated' or more likely, not smoky, quiet and good quality grüner. My partner is more keen on shopping than me (he feels a day in the snow isn't complete with at least a cursory glance at the shops...).

My recommendation is to choose a good hotel (Haus Hirt in Bad Gastein is lovely, Theresia in hinterglemm v relaxing (5th visit this year), the apartments that are part of the Monika in gaschurn was great (fabulous starry skies for a romantic moment and I was a big fan of the tunnel slope on the mountain). Combine bombing around a mountain with nice lunches looking at the alps and a nice hotel with spa and you're on to a winner. This girl would never argue with that...
snow conditions
Quote:

It very much depends on where you go. There is something for every taste. Although we prefer to live it up with the hoi polloi, if I were looking for "sophisticated apres-ski" in Saalbach, I would start off up the mountain, possibly sipping champagne at Mama Thresl's Hendl Fischerei, or at the Panorama Alm or the Maisalm, then head down and (studiously avoiding the carousing, beer-swigging revellers in the Hinterhag Alm, Bauer's Schialm, the Spitzbub and Burgi's, lest they try to involve you in any singing and dancing) scurry along to the Eva Alm, the Hotel Post, the Hotel Kendler, the Hotel Eva Village, the Hotel Panther or the Hotel Bauer. Later in the evening I would again steer clear of the unsophisticated apres-skiers (like us) in places like Bobby's Pub, the Underbar, the Oetzi Bar, Castello and Zum Turm, and join the more refined set in one of the above-mentioned 4 star hotel bars, or the Piano Bar of the Alpenhotel, or Mango's Cuban-themed bar, or the distinctly up-market Kuhstall. There is also a very special, little, schnapps-tasting bar on the main village street, just downhill from the Eva Alm, where you can sample their home-made spirits and liqueurs until late at night, whilst engaging in sophisticated conversation.
A similar strategy could be employed in Hinterglemm, the Wieseralm (up the mountain) and the Alpine Palace (in the village) being examples of places where a sophisticated apres-skier could avoid any vulgarity.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 18-10-16 8:46; edited 3 times in total
latest report
How about Badgastein ? No one mentioned it yet.
latest report
Our group last year was told that the outside area of the Eva Alm was closing and we had to leave (strange how we were the only table to be told this) Could have had something to do with us being a group of lads and it was our 7th night out in a row therefore the conversation was probably below gutter level. Should have stuck to the various places mentioned above. For good balance, I've also been there with the Mrs and we weren't 'kicked out'.

As @ tatman's tours says, there are definitely places to avoid 'vulgarity' but I shall be actively seeking it this year again..!
snow report
Quote:

Our group last year was told that the outside area of the Eva Alm was closing and we had to leave (strange how we were the only table to be told this) Could have had something to do with us being a group of lads and it was our 7th night out in a row therefore the conversation was probably below gutter level.

There you go - sophistication and diplomacy going hand in hand. wink
ski holidays
Whatever you do, don't take the misses the same place you have taken the hits.
snow report
Tatman's Tours wrote:
Quote:

It very much depends on where you go. There is something for every taste. Although we prefer to live it up with the hoi polloi, if I were looking for "sophisticated apres-ski" in Saalbach, I would start off up the mountain, possibly sipping champagne at Mama Thresl's Hendl Fischerei, or at the Panorama Alm or the Maisalm, then head down and (studiously avoiding the carousing, beer-swigging revellers in the Hinterhag Alm, Bauer's Schialm, the Spitzbub and Burgi's, lest they try to involve you in any singing and dancing) scurry along to the Eva Alm, the Hotel Post, the Hotel Kendler, the Hotel Eva Village, the Hotel Panther or the Hotel Bauer. Later in the evening I would again steer clear of the unsophisticated apres-skiers (like us) in places like Bobby's Pub, the Underbar, the Oetzi Bar, Castello and Zum Turm, and join the more refined set in one of the above-mentioned 4 star hotel bars, or the Piano Bar of the Alpenhotel, or Mango's Cuban-themed bar, or the distinctly up-market Kuhstall. There is also a very special, little, schnapps-tasting bar on the main village street, just downhill from the Eva Alm, where you can sample their home-made spirits and liqueurs until late at night, whilst engaging in sophisticated conversation.
A similar strategy could be employed in Hinterglemm, the Wieseralm (up the mountain) and the Alpine Palace (in the village) being examples of places where a sophisticated apres-skier could avoid any vulgarity.

Laughing Laughing Perish the very thought of going in that Hinterhag Alm den of iniquity!! Toofy Grin
snow report
Quote:

not sure I can speak for 51% of the population

Nor I. But FWIW, I would want (in order of priority)

a companion who was apparently enjoying skiing with me including taking a gondola down if the alternative is unpleasant and not making a point of stopping and waiting for me to catch up every now and then wink

Beautiful scenery

Lovely mountain restaurants for stops and lunches

A good choice of places to eat out in the evenings (NOT confined to one hotel dining room).

I wouldn't be bothered about shopping, spas or places for late night drinking. For that gap between skiing and eating dinner I'd go for a shower, a sort of siesta wink and (should there be any time left over.....) a companiable hour together with a gin and tonic and our respective books rather than dancing on tables.
snow report
And for me, that mix would be happening somewhere in the Italian Dolomites.
snow report
Tatman's Tours wrote:
Quote:

Interesting. I've always been on the beer with the rabble when in Saalbach, but I've never noticed anywhere particularly 'sophisticated' and other than the hotel bar on the main street (I forget the name, it's been a while now!).
ski holidays
I would vote against zell am see for the skiing. You said you want an easy way down most slopes, I really didn't find zell good for beginners. the options for getting down the hill are- in the gondola, down a black run, or down a long narrow/rutted green cat track........ but handily the green cat track stops maybe 50-100m short of the bottom station and there's one final short steep section that fills with lots of soft fluffy scraped off snow at the bottom and provides an hours entertainment watching lots of people struggle.

but the little round bar at the bottom of that slope is great for après- banging euro pop, reasonable beers, decent outdoor heaters, view watching people fall down the last bit of slope, all with a heavy cigarette smokey stench.......
latest report
Madonna di Campiglio.
snow conditions
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Obergurgl. Maybe because high charm, high cost? I've only skied there once in awhiteout though so have no real idea of the ease/difficulty of runs - they were all rubbish (or raher I was..)
But like pam w the Dolomites would seem to fit the bill. Have you considered Madonna di Campiglio (looks to be a blue down most of the mountains)?
ski holidays
I've not been to Madonna but have always thought it looks nice. For somebody who doesn't want to do huge mileage, or 7 hours skiing a day, and willing to use lifts to avoid nasty slopes, most resorts should be able to offer some pleasant, cruisy, skiing.

No high place above the tree line would appeal to me for holiday in beautiful surroundings with lots of togetherness.

It's a companiable holiday with skiing, rather than a ski holiday, which the OP's OH seems likely to favour.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@malks, You can blue down to the out of town Gondola station and bus into Zell, if you're wanting to ski down... Can't remember the names / numbers!
snow report
@Levi215, the only blue down to base at Zell am See is Piste 2 then piste 5 - starting at the Breiteckalm and finishing at the base of the CityXpress which is in the centre of town - an off shoot (5b) does descend to the TrassXpress which although out of the centre is still very close to much of the accommodation.

http://www.schmitten.at/pdf/downloads/panoramen/schmitten_pano_neu_2016.pdf
latest report
@AthersT, so it is, i was sure 4 used to be blue... oh well my apologies.
snow report
Lech Very Happy
snow report
Obergurgl is nice - pretty village, very easy skiing. There's a restaurant at the top of Hochgurgl (which is reached via cable car) with a fantastic panoramic view, and there are nice restaurants and a few shops down in Obergurgl (can't speak about Hochgurgl village).

Depending when you want to go, and if you want to save a few quid, it might be worth flying to Munich - we got 4x half term return flights from LHR for under £400 the lot (admittedly, Friday to Friday). Currently up at about £650/700, though this is still a lot less than Innsbruck (as far as I can see) and it's only another 90 min or so to the village.

Munich works even better for Zell, Kaprun, the Gasteins etc - 2 to 2.5 hrs transfer.
snow report
What about Seefeld? The slopes are easy with a good bus service linking the tree main areas, the town has good shops, cafes and restaurants, A casino, cinema, train to Innsbruck, nightclubs. I last visited Seefeld, to ski, in 2000 it had changed a lot since my childhood, couldn't find any tea dancing, but I think I'm dating myself on this point. For luxury hotel try the Hotel Klosterbräu, always impresses. I believe the Lamb has a good reputation or a more friendly family feeling the Hiltpolt, but on the last option make sure you are in the building closest to the town. The family own two hotels one of which is a bit more isolated, perhaps a good thing if you want something quieter.
snow report
I agree with northernsoulboy, try the hotel Jenwvin, its ski to door, has a lovely bar in the basement, and a spa on the top floot overlooking the slopes, my wife loved it, easy sking and not busy, recommend Davids hut for the spare ribs mmmmm
ski holidays
Just book in here for a week.

https://www.aqua-dome.at/en/

If you want to ski there is plenty nearby
snow report
p20pjd wrote:
Our group last year was told that the outside area of the Eva Alm was closing and we had to leave (strange how we were the only table to be told this) Could have had something to do with us being a group of lads and it was our 7th night out in a row therefore the conversation was probably below gutter level. Should have stuck to the various places mentioned above. For good balance, I've also been there with the Mrs and we weren't 'kicked out'.

As @ tatman's tours says, there are definitely places to avoid 'vulgarity' but I shall be actively seeking it this year again..!

You wouldn't be an alias of 'Fat Dunc' from Boyband Blue would you mate? (apologies if not!!)
snow report
Richard??
latest report
The very same!
snow conditions
I agree, it is a nice bar/restaurant. I did have a few more sedate ones and food in there earlier in the week. Probably even nicer once we had left that particular evening!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy