Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Newbies to La Plagne

Poster: A snowHead
Having "done" Espace Killy, Three Valleys, Alpe d'Huez, Grand Massif etc, we wanted to find an alternative French resort for February's annual alpine pilgrimage so have booked into the Hauts Bois PV apartments in Aime La Plagne for our trip this year.

Having never been before, I'm sure we'll have compromised ourselves in at least one way, but now looking for pointers / hints / tips to make things go smoothly.

We've got four boys - eldest (17) is very competent (last year landed a backflip on snow in the off piste area, skins us completely for technique though I'm sure he's nowhere near as good as we think he is!), has always had group "teenage" lessons. Next is a 14 year old with learning difficulties, but who has done complete weeks in ski school at Val Thorens and Flaine, fine on chairs, skiied blues with reasonable confidence. Then there's a "standard" 10 year old (3 weeks lessons under his belt plus plenty of hours of domestic dry slope lessons too, happy to ski with adults on reds for a full day most of the time) and a "standard" 7 year old (2 weeks of lessons, pocket rocket etc etc). We're mid forties, will ski just about any black but I'm less keen off piste (terrified of breaking something before having to drive home again!) whilst SWMBO is more adventurous but probably equally competent. Fortunately we've got an Aunt staying with us so pickup from ski school / afternoons in the apartment are catered for as required if the younger ones aren't quite up to a full day.

Based on the above (!), any recommendations for:-
- ski school
- lift pass choices (La Plagne only or Paradiski)
- any other hints and tips that would make things go smoothly?

Many thanks!!!

Matt
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I would recommend hiring/buying some fat skis (110mm or above) and hitting the off piste. If you've not skied them before I think you'll be pleasantly surprised and will go from 'less keen' to 'very keen' in minutes.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Personally I'd get the Discovery pass (if they still do it) which allows one day's skiing in Les Arcs. There is plenty of skiing on the La Plagne side to keep you happy for 5 days, especially if you include the off piste. Les Arcs is certainly worth a visit though.

Aime is not the prettiest area of La Plagne but it's ski in/ski out.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Cheers - we're definitely not bothered about pretty, it's entirely functional from our point of view. Having said that, even if the resorts are ugly the mountains are usually spectacular in any event. I've not got bored of the look of the Alps just yet!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
(Just a pointless post to get resubscribed to the topic!)
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
My advice depends on skill level/needs. As HoneyBunny stated, there is plenty of skiing in La Plagne (for a week), with little traditional villages to ski to for lunch (depending on snow conditions)....but a lot of it is quite cruisey. IMO. Les Arc has more interesting piste skiing, which may have greater appeal to a more adventurous skier, who covers the ground quickly.

Therefore choose the pass depending on needs....which may mean different passes for different members of your family. As said above, when I was last there, the Discovery pass was available, giving one day in Les Arcs.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi @larkim,

The La Plagne passes have changed this year and the La Plagne pass now comes with one free day in Les Arcs so this is the one I would recommend for your family. Go for a family pass for yourselves, 17yo and 14yo (big discount on the individual adult price) and then two child passes.

Try Reflex or Oxygene for lessons. Both offer groups and privates, and are small group and fun. For the 14 y o it is worth mentioning that he has learning difficulties (and the full details of this) when you book - both ski schools have some instructors with additional training who would probably progress him further in one or two private lessons than a whole week of groups.

Have a great time!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Possibly not much point in getting full Paradiski if you're staying in Aime as even skiing quickly you'll spend a good portion of the day getting to/from the link. The discovery pass would be a good option though.

There's still plenty to keep you entertained in La Plagne thoug.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You get one day Paradiski included in your La Plagne lift pass which is probably sufficient:

http://winter.la-plagne.com/ski/prices/prices-for-skiing.html
Quote:

Exceptional offer for the skipasses from 3 to 15 days in a row :
1 day of ski in Paradiski offered during the validity of the skipass (as of 17/12/16)
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks all - we (the adults) do tend to get a bit claustrophobic covering the same runs a few times and like to see as far as we can go. It's Euros186 more for the full family to get the Paradiski passes for the week which isn't hugely expensive (in the context of Euros1400 for the family), but that could be money well saved.

I see ski lessons up at Aime are pm only which is a shame (ESF) though I see Oxygene seem to do a minibus service which we'd look into. Thanks for the steer on the learning disability stuff - we've been through this before a couple of times now and we've had the previous ski school pass on feedback to the prospective ones in advance. Being entirely selfish, group lessons work better as it means he gets at least 6 sessions of skiing (which he usually laps up), if we went down the private lessons route I can see him ending up skiing less over the week. But it is something we've got in mind to resolve.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hi @larkim,

It's more expense I know but have you considered group lessons with 1 or 2 short afternoon lessons. Or would that be too much?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yep agree one day paradiski is fine. I did a season in La Plagne 11 years ago and I can assure you, you will not get bored or be doing the same runs over and over. In my season I think I went to Les Arcs 4 or 5 times. To be honest it's a long trek back to Aime from the Vanoise Express and is mostly sitting on lifts.

To stay varied hit the a different area per day i.e. Montalbert, Plagne Centre Bowl, Roche de Mio (Bellcote & Belle Plagne area), Champany (beautiful on a sunny day) and Montchavin/Les Coches. That is 5 days taken care of, all with quite different skiing.

I can second the recommendation for Reflex, and Oxygene would be my second choice (both a short ski down to Plagne Centre).

You have chosen a very underrated ski area which is hugely varied and great for the standard of your group. Have a great time Very Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Oxygene are the best ski school in La Plagne - no need for any collections as Aime 2000 is directly above Plagne Centre which is the meeting point for the school, if any of you are into the off-piste (or keen to learn) then book the "steep & deep" group lesson as its normally a blast. Learning issues are not an issue with Oxygene as they run the best Handicap ski school in the alps so are very used to managing such issues - as others have said just let them know in advance. After that just have a great time. Aime is a 1960's dream of self sufficiency, however, it's connected to Plagne Centre (the main hub of the resort) by a cable car that runs late into the night so you won't feel left out if you want to go out. If you fancy upscaling the ride down to Centre you can take the new, 600m, long flying fox.
http://youtube.com/v/_HX8d3EKb8E
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
larkim, i think you'll enjoy your time at La Plagne.
Above excellent replies have covered most: you get one day in Les Arcs with your lift pass, and that is all you'll use.
When you go, head off early and expect a crush at the Vanoise.
Start heading back around 3pm (depending where in Les Arcs you've got to).
Ski Schools are a personal choice: Charliee, likes Oxygene, but i'm with FastCarver74 and would go for Reflex - ask for Christophe Lagu if available.
Other hints: in February queues can be a problem, expecially at Bellecote, which is a central point getting from one side of resort to the other. So:
1. Ski through lunch period 1200 to 1400 - eat before and/or after.
2. Avoid Bellecote at the end of the day: there are other ways round, involving the Champagny sector and back into Plagne Centre via Verdon Sud. The sneaky route is use the Moving Carpet out of Belle Plagne, and then the Col de Forcle drag. You can also take the bus.
3. Don't miss the yummy crepes from the koisk by the entrance to Gondola out of Champagny.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Brilliant as ever, such helpful pointers - just what I was after! Many thanks!

Good to hear we've made a good choice - with the way the pound has slid recently this will be our most expensive trip for quite some time so getting great bang for our buck is essential!

Keep the advice flowin'!
ski holidays
@Charliee, +1 for Oxygene.

I have used several times from Plagne Centre for kids lessons and also for off piste guiding. Excellent school.
latest report
If you are driving up to Aime 2000 make sure you have snow chains that fit and you know how to use them. There is a chainage area between 1800 and Plagne Centre as quite often the road is snow covered beyond that point.
If possible pay the extra for an inside parking place (its well worth the extra cost). There is plenty of advice on driving and La Plagne elsewhere on here by using the search tab top left on each page. Fiddle around with your search terms for the best results, but be careful of the date posted some stuff is over 10 years old now!
i
ski holidays
If you can buy your ski passes here and save 20% before December
Earlybooking season skipass
Discount of -20% until 30th november!
http://www.skipass-laplagne.com/en/
latest report
La Plagne is the world's most popular ski resort.

Take the eldest up to the north face of Bellecote. It will keep him amused without being too difficult:

http://youtube.com/v/lCQ28S26s3E
snow report
@Whitegold, depending on the route.....petit face our versus Canadiens. Only with a guide I would strongly suggest unless plenty of local knowledge. It can be benign but also can be treacherous which ever route you take.
latest report
Bennyboy1, absolutely!
No one should try the North Face without a Guide.
And even then things can go wrong: Ski instructor dies in avalanche
There is quite enough to do in La Plagne in a week without trying the exteme stuff, especially now they are intending to keep the higher Black runs ungroomed.
latest report
Snow chains live in the boot of our car throughout the UK winter, never mind in the Alps. I've used them several times in anger (proper Thule chains) in France, as well as in the UK on at least one occasion so hopefully that isn't an issue.

Amusingly the 20% discount thing doesn't work properly (I can work around it).

The "family" deal of 2 x adults, 2 x teenagers for the La Plagne area comes out at 207.50 each. If I add two more younger kids they come out as 207.50 each too. But if I just do two younger kids on their own, the 20% discount applies so they come out at 187 each. Another few quid saved!

We're a sensible, cautious family when it comes to life and death risk - he'd only ski "properly" off piste with a guide or in lessons, never on his own and never just us as a family. But thanks for the confirmation!

Car parking does need sorting out, indoors definitely will be paid for!
ski holidays
Indoor parking can be booked in advance, as you are going in February, I guess, it is essential to get a space see last years details here
http://winter.la-plagne.com/images/planetacces/CARPARKS-WINTER2015-2016.pdf

No details yet for 16/17. They tend to leave such things until nearer the season...
snow report
Cheers - I'm thinking PV have their own under-accomodation car park, will be calling tonight to get that reserved (providing the price isn't too steep). Shame that the Aime car park is telephone only!! My franglais isn't good enough to be confident about booking a car parking space by telephone!

Though I could of course just park lower down in the resort.
latest report
Hi @larkim, Parking lower down will be much harder, plagne centre has one underground carpark and not many free spaces above ground, Plagne 1800 doesn't have many free options either and then you're down to La Roche which must be 5km's from Aime. From memory the Marie organise the parking and they speak reasonable English (someone does anyway) but you can also book online - All said you are on the right track when you suggest calling PV. There is a large open air carpark at Aime 2000 and I think its free but other will confirm.
ski holidays
Plagne Centre was what I was thinking of; drop the car off and jump on the Navette up to Aime. I'd not plan to stick the car down at sea level!!

Spaces available in the underground (checked online).
snow report
Quote:

Don't miss the yummy crepes from the koisk by the entrance to Gondola out of Champagny.

Mmmmmmmm - possibly the best advice on this thread!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy