Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

RV trip to Revelstoke, Sun Peaks, Nelson... Will there be enough snow over new year and early Jan?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We are a 28 year old skier/snowboarder couple from London in search of powder and a fun holiday.

We will be driving our RV from Vancouver and travelling between ski resorts for 12 days. We thought the first stop could be Nelson for New Years Eve. Apparently it has a fun hippy atmosphere. Then cat skiing within the Valhalla mountain range. Any advice for either of these places or thereafter?

Is Early January going to be okay? Not too cold or dark? Will there definitely be enough snow for us?

Any advice or recommendations would be great.

Thanks

Sophie
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've done a couple of road trips around that area at that time - it was great fun and we scored plenty of pow. However I think it is still low season for catskiing because if snow uncertainty and as a result some ops still do day rates or standby. Does go dark fairly early so you'll be doing some driving in the dark and (ideally) snowstorms but the roads are good - you got snow tires or chains for the RV?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yes thanks Dave, they come with snow tyres and chains so all good. Good to know you think there will plenty of POW Smile
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I did a week at Whitewater a good few years ago and before New Year too. Great snow that year and really good terrain too and a nice feel to Nelson too. Not too far to head to Red Mountain as well. Didn't think much of Sun Peaks though, I'd go to Red over there every time.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Are you doing a lap back to Vancouver?

Are you able to drive into the United States?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I don't think we will have time really. As we only have the RV for 10 days. Where were you going to suggest?

Thanks for all comments so far!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If you're picking up in Vancouver and dropping off in Calgary for example, then you have far more time to choose between the interior BC resorts of Whitewater, Red, Revelstoke, Kicking Horse, Fernie, Panorama as well as the Alberta resorts of Sunshine, Lake Louise and Castle Mountain.

If you're picking up and dropping off in Vancouver then your range over a 12-day period is much reduced.

Vancouver to Nelson is 660km (with a minimum drive time of 7 1/2 hrs), practically the same from Calgary (621km, 6 1/2 hrs).

However, Spokane, Washington is only 240km (3 hrs) from Nelson.

If you can rent an RV from Spokane which allows you to drive in to Canada then there's much less driving time to access

Red
Whitewater
Valhalla Cat Skiing
Revelstoke
Kicking Horse

as well as Schweitzer in Idaho on the way back to Spokane.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Been twice in New Year week - both were for catskiing road trips:

- Trip 1 to Banff resorts and Kicking Horse, with catskiing at Chatter Creek.

- Trip 2 to Revelstoke, Sun Peaks and Big White, with catskiing at Mustang Powder.

We had a brilliant time on both trips - fantastic snow at the ski areas and amazing powder at the catskiing.

Quote:
It does go dark fairly early...
Vancouver is at 49.2 degrees latitude - versus Brighton at 50.6 degrees. So no darker in the depths of winter than the UK South coast wink
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The further east you go the colder it will get and not as deep of a snowpack. By January it's typically starting to be a great time for snow conditions at Whitewater, Red Mountain and Revelstoke.

The drive from Nelson to Revelstoke can be difficult if it's storming. If you do drive north it may be worth doing on a rest day and check out the commercial hot springs just North of Nakusp or the hippy hot sprig of St Leon(decent walk in) and Halfway.

http://www.bcmag.ca/Hot_Spring_Hunting_in_Nakusp
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Also try Snowwater close to Nelson, same owners as Valhala.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Gosh I'm jealous,
I've only been to Revelstoke for a couple of days and one night.

I think there is only one, perhaps two Apres spots in town, which makes it even better as everyone is in the
"Last Drop Inn". Its not sophisto, but its a gas! (I think that's the name).

You only need a day to cover Revelstoke or Kicking Horse ... Same Goes for the Banff resorts.

Enjoy, and get windscreen insurance.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Been there every year at that time since the 1980s. Snowboarding. There's always snow, the issue is, as with the rest of the world and the rest of the time, quite where it is.

So last season, that time, you'd need to be in Sun Peaks or Vernon/Silver Star at a push, if you wanted the best snow. Further south was poor to wet. Just saying. The year before was a little different. This coming season... who knows? The whole point of being mobile is that it doesn't really matter. Find out where it is (I'll tell you if you wait...) and then go there. Don't underestimate the distances though - Vancouver to Kamloops for example.. google claim it's 3.5 hours today; in winter that's 7 hours if you know what you're doing. And you will pass vehicles on their roofs on the way. So yeah, there are blank bits on the map where you're three hours in any direction from anyone else. Just saying.

It is cold and dark, of course. So that means the best snow, and you're likely to be in the trees a fair bit. Expect short days then, so serious people get moving early and make the best of it.

Most of the resorts aren't big in terms of piste, and I suppose a dedicated "piste basher" person could ride most of the pistes in some places in a day. But that's not why most people go there.

You can mess with the US border if you want, but... well, don't say I didn't warn you that they do have customs and stuff and you'll need both an ESTA and whatever the new Canadian thing is, and there are extra car hire charges if you're not careful should you want to do that. Oh, and you can't take firearms across the border. And be aware of precisely what you take over there. Plus although there's a lot of snow down there, it's kind of damp stuff. If the temperatures are warm (last year...) then you want to point your machine north. But if you're heading for Nelson then obviously you may as well hit the places down there. But bear in mind that the best powder tends to be a bit further up.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Sun Peaks, for the last few winters RVs have been parked in a car park near the village centre on Valley Drive. They have put a skating rink on the car park so email guest services and find out were the rv parking has moved to.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy