Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arcs for the day

Poster: A snowHead
Hi Snowheads, making our annual Xmas ski trip to Tignes again this year and for a bit of a change thinking about taking advantage of the free day on the lift pass to Les Arcs, having never skied this area before.

As usual, the biggest consideration in all of this is wifey's highly variable skiing ability. On a good day in good conditions "double M" is manageable, but, any hint of ice or moguls and the easiest blue can become a painful experience in getting her down.

Any thoughts on the two areas and where to go and avoid, obviously all things being well this will be on a day where weather and conditions should be at their best?

Thanks for any advice guys and gals
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Will you have a car? Closest access to Les Arc from Tignes is Villaroger. If the snow's halfway good, your wife should be fine coming down the blue run there to get back. But, if there isn't a lot of snow then it can be much more tricky to get back.

The alternative is to drive to Bourg and the funicular. No access issues there, but it adds a lot to the drive.

You could post back here just before your trip and get an up-to-the-minute report on the state of the villaroger links.

Once you're in the main resort there are so many options. Blue runs everywhere, plus lots of confidence-building reds. Good tip is to go over towards vallandry; the reds and blues cross-cross so you can start a red and easily bail out onto the blue if you prefer. Great resort for building confidence.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yes we will have a car, so point of access is not an issue. Lots of confidence building reds with bail outs onto blues sounds perfect

How is the Aiguille Rouge red from the top, looks easy enough on utube but I know this is often the case in these videos?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I would agree with @Mairedoconner re Villaroger, an certainly be very aware of the conditions which can be a little nasty at the end of the day, but if they are good get some fruit tart at the farm restaurant at the bottom. Perhaps more to the point I understand the polyvalence (reciprocal lift pass arrangement) will not exist this year so no free pass.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I don't think the free lift pass for the day was available last year either
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
hmm... that run down to Villaroger tends towards ice so unless snow conditions are very good it might not be the best entry point for your wife. The runs down to Arc 1600 are generally more forgiving and much wider, so I would suggest that as a better entry point. It's also pretty easy access - drive to the funicular base station at Bourg and get the funi up to 1600. That's about 15 minutes further to drive. From 1600 you have easy access to both the Arc 1800/Vallandry side (lower, lots of trees) and the Arc 1950/2000 side (higher, big exposed bowl). They both have lots of easy blues, weather on the day would affect which side is better.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Coco, te Aiguille Rouge red from the top is daunting for the first 100m as it is narrow and often scraped/polished, as well as feeling quite exposed as there are catch nets on one side with a steep drop behind them After that section it opens up to a wide are which is a bit steeper than Double M but is often terrific skiing because there is so much space to use.

You can see the steep section at the start from the top of the cable car, and if your wife doesn't fancy it she can easily download on the cable car (quite a few people go up just for the view, so downloading is fairly common).
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Gämsbock, +1 on heading to the funicular at Bourg.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Coco, Aguille Rouge is one of those runs that everyone wants to 'tick off their list' and it can be pretty busy. Great views on a good day, but it's not particularly easy. Usually quite a bit of weather all the way up there. If your wife gets nervous she may not enjoy it.

Treat the day as an exploratory jaunt to decide if you want to make a full trip to les arcs another year. You don't have to see everything in one day Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@rob@rar, I find the tricky part of the Aiguille Rouge not that top 100 or so metres but the little track afterwards (the direct route is almost always closed) though not steep it is narrow and full of bodies and rocks. After that the glacier section is wonderful, truely wonderful. That is followed by a long road section then gets really nice again from Plan Violettes where lots of options open up.

I agree with the others on this post - park at the funicular station and explore the resort from 1600. Start with the mont blanc blue run which IMHO is one of the best blues in the world.

Leave the Aiguille Rouge for another day when you are prepared to spend 20 minutes queuing for the lift.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Aiguille Rouge - there is a zig zag you can use to avoid the initial steep pitch. Also there tends be a quick burst of people after the cable car arrives. If you stand back for 5 minutes it clears and then it's more pleasant. It's a great run, one of my favourite pistes.

Don't see the issue using Villaroger has a entry point unless conditions lower down are really poor.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Surely there is no need to do the Aiguille Rouge from the top of the cable car? You can take the lanchettes chairlift from Arc 2000 and just ski the lower part of Aiguille Rouge which I don't remember being that hard. I haven't skied it in December though - it was April slush rather than ice when I last went down it.

Can anyone confirm whether or not there is a reciprocal lift arrangement between Paradiski and Espace Killy this year? We are staying in Les Arcs and might do the day in Tignes if it is an option.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:
Surely there is no need to do the Aiguille Rouge from the top of the cable car?

You don't need to... but it is a nice ski Toofy Grin Laughing snowHead
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Layne, It is but the OP said his wife was not a confident skier.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
snowymum wrote:
@Layne, It is but the OP said his wife was not a confident skier.

Actually he said "As usual, the biggest consideration in all of this is wifey's highly variable skiing ability. On a good day in good conditions "double M" is manageable, but, any hint of ice or moguls and the easiest blue can become a painful experience in getting her down."

IME the snow is very good on the Aggy Rouge. If it's a pleasant sunny day I'm sure she would be fine as it's no more difficult than Double M. If there is poor vis and/or poor weather I wouldn't go up there myself. I have done and it's not a pleasant experience.
snow conditions
Quote:

Surely there is no need to do the Aiguille Rouge from the top of the cable car?

It depends upon whether you are talking about the piste or the mountain. One suggestion was to take the cable car up to look at the view and then down again. Another was to join the piste half way down. Early in the season this can be a real ski wrecker due to the amount of stones showing through. Unless the snow is very good if I go up the lanchettes chair i will take either the combe or the blue back down, which is a shame as the bump field below plan violettes is usually very enjoyable.
snow conditions
The a la carte ski pass gives you access to EK, Paradiski, L2Alps, Grand Massif...

https://www.skialacarte.fr/FrontOffice/
ski holidays
johnE wrote:
@rob@rar, I find the tricky part of the Aiguille Rouge not that top 100 or so metres but the little track afterwards (the direct route is almost always closed) though not steep it is narrow and full of bodies and rocks. After that the glacier section is wonderful, truely wonderful. That is followed by a long road section then gets really nice again from Plan Violettes where lots of options open up.

I agree with the others on this post - park at the funicular station and explore the resort from 1600. Start with the mont blanc blue run which IMHO is one of the best blues in the world.

Leave the Aiguille Rouge for another day when you are prepared to spend 20 minutes queuing for the lift.

I wholeheartedly agree with everything in this post.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy