Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

DIN settings

Poster: A snowHead
Bought myself some second-hand Atomic Cloud 9 skis recently, and have just had them serviced by the local ski shop in Austria. They've also set up the bindings for my Salomon boots. I was surprised to see that they'd set the DIN at 6, whereas I've always been 4.5-5 in the past. However, the technician assured me he'd used his computer to do it and therefore it must be right! I'm still not convinced.
My height is 170cm and I weigh 60kg. I'm 54 and a very cautious skier. My boot length is 28.5. Every site I've plugged that information into comes back with 5 as my setting. Does ski length affect it at all? These skis are a bit shorter than my previous skis, at 149cm rather than 160cm. I'm tempted just to put the bindings back to 5 but would appreciate advice as to whether this is safe and/or sensible.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
is your boot length 285mm or is it a size 28.5 which are two very different things... based on the rest of the stats i am hoping it is 285mm
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@LizAtk, see http://www.insideoutskiing.com/resources/AFNOR-Guide-for-females-.pdf
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Oops - sorry - just double checked the boot. The size is 26.5, not 28.5. I make the length 303mm - I have big feet!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
andy1234 - thanks for the link to the chart. Does the boot size mean my shoe size? I think that would make it 4.25.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@LizAtk, tbh I think that chart is a bit simplistic. Feed everything into http://www.dinsetting.com using 303mm. Other dimension is skier type. 6 seems too high to me.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@LizAtk, I have discovered that the only way to know absolutely that the DIN adjustment is correct is to have your release tested using equipment/computers designed to do this. Have a look in http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2891637&highlight=marker+din#2891637
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@LizAtk, yes it's shoe size. I made your setting 4.25 as well. If you put your data into @Claude B's hyperlink and assuming you are type 2 skier you get 4.5 which is pretty much in the same neck of the woods.
Disclaimer: I'm not a ski tech!!!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@LizAtk, if your Austrian technician carried out a release test, he should have given you a printout.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The little DIN app I have on my phone comes out with:
Beginner - 3.5
Inter. - 4.5
Expert - 5.25

The big one for me though is did you have any issues with you old skis at 4.5-5? Were you popping out when skiing under control and just going though a pile of snow or anything? If you were, then a little tighter would probably be appropriate. If not I'd be tempted to change them back down.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Beware online din checking tools - they are not mistake free! I found one that told me my DIN should be higher than other sources, but changing any one of the input parameters up or down(!) gave a lower setting which matched the other sources.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
LizAtk wrote:
I make the length 303mm
Just checking - do you mean you measured it, or is this the actual number on the side of the boot?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@motyl, I measured it. The only number I can see on the boot is 26.5.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Mjit, Thanks - I would definitely say I am an experienced but cautious intermediate, so I'd have thought 5 would be fine - certainly not 6. I've certainly not had bindings pop open unexpectedly.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
LizAtk wrote:
@motyl, I measured it. The only number I can see on the boot is 26.5.
If you look carefully - and in my case with a pair of strong reading glasses - you should find the length in very small numbers, usually embossed, on the side of the boot just above the sole and often near the heel. Hopefully it says 303 Very Happy This is the number that technicians use to adjust bindings.
latest report
26.5 = Mondo - This is the ski boot size like a shoe size and only has a passing relationship to Boot length. I.e depending on the manufacturer and boot design 10 different Mondo 26.5 could have 10 different length measurements. Also quite often a 26 and 26.5 in the same boot will have the same length measurement as the shells are the same size and they are only using the liner/footbed to drop the half size.

In terms of Din there is a variable according to skier style and aggression, it may well be that 6 is fine for you at the most aggressive end of the spectrum for your weight and measurements etc However your preference may be for it to not be that high. As someone above said if you are not regularly popping or walking out of your ski's on bumps or sharp turns etc then your old din setting was probably bang on.

one final thing there are different Din calculations used for different manufacturers, broadly in 2 camps, the difference in DIN between your Atomic's and your other ski's may be due to a different binding manufacturer.

Best bet if you are really unsure ring up somewhere like the Piste Office or Ski Bartlett etc and ask there advice.
snow report
@gordonrussell76, Aha - yes, found those numbers! They say 26/26.5 and 306mm. I think I will pit the number down to 5 - if they pop off regularly I can always put it up again.
snow conditions
Tubaski wrote:
Beware online din checking tools - they are not mistake free!

Just checked dinsetting.com for my personal stats (79-94kg 179-194cm age 10-49 BS 291-310) Depending on the skier type I select...

Type 1: DIN 6.5
Type 2: DIN 5 <<<<< This is obviously wrong!!!!
Type 3: DIN 9.5

So I'd suggest avoiding that site, or at least cross checking elsewhere

Unfortunately there is no contact information on the page so I can't get in touch to let the site owners know.
snow report
Claude B wrote:
@LizAtk, tbh I think that chart is a bit simplistic. Feed everything into http://www.dinsetting.com using 303mm. Other dimension is skier type. 6 seems too high to me.

I just found a glitch in that too. Changing my profile from a type 2 skier to a type 3 led to a drop in DIN from 6.5 to 5 LOL. Type 1 was 5.5
snow report
The AFNOR chart is simplistic and easily understandable, that is why it works and why I don't reference the online tools which as others have pointed out can be buggy.
latest report
Scarpa wrote:
Claude B wrote:

I just found a glitch in that too. Changing my profile from a type 2 skier to a type 3 led to a drop in DIN from 6.5 to 5 LOL. Type 1 was 5.5

It uses an AI algorithm to spot when someone is all the gear/no idea and adjusts downwards to save them from themselves wink
latest report
@Dave of the Marmottes, Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
I ski on around 6...although my boot length is 319 and I'm 6ft and 115kg (all of it power). If my skis aren't popping off then I see no reason to have it any higher.
latest report
Yeah, out pops 5.5 and I usually ski on 8. Ho hum.

What I want to know is why my recommended DIN last season was 0.5 more than this coming season, just because I had a significant birthday a few weeks ago? WTF??

I hope not to be adjusting downwards for a good few decades yet... rolling eyes
snow report
@SnoodyMcFlude, Your weight isn't particularly significant, as your height is nearer the top of the chart than your weight. It wouldn't change your DIN setting unless you dropped below about 79kg - and you'd probably need a sit-ski then Wink
ski holidays
@under a new name, They do seem to use 50 as a cut off point for age related higher risk of injury. I am 50 next year but my SL ski bindings only go down to 10. Perhaps I should throw them away on my birthday Puzzled
ski holidays
Tubaski wrote:
@SnoodyMcFlude, Your weight isn't particularly significant

Tell that to the seat that I'm sat in Wink
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
......What I want to know is why my recommended DIN last season was 0.5 more than this coming season, just because I had a significant birthday a few weeks ago?.....

It's because you're now riddled with osteoporosis!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@spyderjon, Free School Milk! so I don't think so Happy
latest report
@under a new name, That wasn't milk Shocked
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy