Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snowboard length advive!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm 5ft 11 and 182 lbs (13stone). Would you consider a 156 snowboard too short for me? I'm an all mountain sort of guy that's just getting the hang of riding switch and exploring a bit of freestyle without losing the carving aspect of riding and getting into powder given the chance.

Thanks in advance
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Probably just on the short side as an all round board considering your stats, but should help progress your switch riding, assuming it's a twin. Reckon you'll get more advice if you can move this post over to the Snowboarding section!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have but needed a quick response so put it everywhere haha. Im clinching a deal as we speak. Im thinking the chances of getting many powder days on holiday are low and the shorter board would help my switch riding and putting a few tricks down.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm about the same size as you and half a stone lighter. I have a 159 piste board and have just bought a 161 powder board.

Unless heavily rockered (and then pretty useless for carving/piste hooning), 156 would feel a bit short in the deep stuff.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Likewise, I'm an inch shorter and about half a stone lighter and I've got a 158 camber (recently down from a 161) and a 154 rocker for domes and parkish nonsense.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Shorter board does make for much easier 180s on steep terrain in powder, and ground tricks generally. Depends if you can afford two boards.. I can't so ride a short twin tip all the time!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
^^ that makes no sense on steeper terrain you want more effective edge and in powder more surface area. Flatland tricks it's more about the flex the only time a shorter snowboard is useful is for jibbing around as its not like many people round here are throwing more than a 3. Every manufacturer will give weight recommendations for their boards if you fall between 2 size up for stability or down for easier to turn. Also a shorter snowboard is no easier to ride switch thana long one I ride a 178 switch just fine, it's all down to technique.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'm 13 stone and ride a 153, I ride alot of indoor UK, I took my 153 to the mountain and it was fine for general messing around on piste and park,

It's not uncommon to downsize a fair bit if freestyle is your thing, if you have no intention of hitting the park go 156 or bigger.

If your after Abit of freestyle I can't see a 156 being an issue in the slightest asking as its mid flex to soft on piste will be a hand full
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
In addition to my above post,

One thing to always remember,
Freestyle and powder are world's apart in how they are ridden, to get a board that's perfect in both conditions will prove impossible , you will find board that will be OK in both but not perfect, and this is why I see alot of people taking two boards. So the have the perfect board for any conditions on the hill
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
What they said. I had to convert your units, but you're 33% heavier than me so depending on what it is, on average that's way too short. That, plus your question, suggest that you're probably not actually "carving" the board, otherwise you'd know the answer to the question.

Outside the park, board flex (which is related to the length by design) is the key thing. You have to get that balanced to your weight/ style or you will not be able to turn the board on its edge. The manufacturer's recommended sizes are the best starting point, but I usually like to ride a couple of adjacent boards to be sure I have the correct size. The manufacturer's recommendations take into account the specific board design and type of rider.

As above, there's no such thing as an "all mountain" board. Most people don't see much powder (new snow is not "powder"), so they're more likely to buy a piste or park oriented board and live with the compromise in powder. UK people tend to like tiny boards as they ride inside part of the time. Park boards are also easy for beginners to deal with. Those boards don't work so well on big mountains, and can encourage bad habits/ failure to learn because they're so easy to side-slip about.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hmm at getting on for 6ft and 13 stone the old answer would be to go for something low -mid 160s with the 168-170ish bracket for big lads and chargers. Very few brands seem to get up to 165 though these days.

Maybe I'm just old skool but it seems the trend is essentially undersized these days - doesn't make for a good carving or "off piste" experience IMV.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@francium., an edge isn't toning to make much difference in deep powder, when I say steep I mean so steep your only option is to jump 180s and a short board facilitates that.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy