Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mid to late march recommendations on a budget, please

Poster: A snowHead
Hi!

Please could I have some recommendations for resorts, with the following criteria:

Good snow for later half of march, so I am looking high altitude.
Good range of reds/blacks, or pinkish-blues.
Plenty of runs (40km+ downhill in a day is not unusual for us).
Not fussed about the nightlife, we are not much for partying!
Not Bulgaria, or Eastern Europe ideally
Not Wengen

Thanks so much!

Very Happy
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
!!! SPAM ALERT !!!

My house!!!
Toofy Grin snowHead snowHead Toofy Grin
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Phae88 wrote:
Hi!

Please could I have some recommendations for resorts, with the following criteria:

Good snow for later half of march, so I am looking high altitude.
Good range of reds/blacks, or pinkish-blues.
Plenty of runs (40km+ downhill in a day is not unusual for us).
Not fussed about the nightlife, we are not much for partying!
Not Bulgaria, or Eastern Europe ideally
Not Wengen

Thanks so much!

Very Happy

That criteria is too broad. Nearly any decent sized French, Swiss, Austrian, Italian resort fits the bill.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Phae88, Have to concur with @Layne. There are endless resorts that fit the bill.

I like very large resorts, so I would go for:

Val Thorens (highest resort in Europe and part of the giant 3 Valleys)

Val d'Isere or Tignes (high resorts, form Espace Killy together)

But there are plenty of smaller resorts that would suit you just as well.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
This is my issue, there are so many to choose I don't know what's good. I have been skiing since I was little but haven't skied anywhere but Wengen, well, I think we did La Plagne when I was a baby but I don't remember.

I think I am erring toward France over the rest, I couldn't seem to find much in Austria in my budget of around £600 pp half board. (This is me looking in igluski - ill branch out to price it separately once I settle on a resort.)
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Phae88, if you are able to make a late booking, you should have plenty of choice for that price. You would also know what snow conditions were like in different resorts, if you leave booking to a week or so before departure.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Phae88 wrote:
This is my issue, there are so many to choose I don't know what's good. I have been skiing since I was little but haven't skied anywhere but Wengen, well, I think we did La Plagne when I was a baby but I don't remember.

I think I am erring toward France over the rest, I couldn't seem to find much in Austria in my budget of around £600 pp half board. (This is me looking in igluski - ill branch out to price it separately once I settle on a resort.)

Given you want to clock up the mileage and don't want to party, the large French resorts would seem favourite... Paradiski, ADH, 3V, Espace Killy, take your pick...

Late March you can either clock up a deal early or wait until 7-14 days before. You should be able to get a catered chalet holiday in any of those places for £600pp - no problem.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The grand massif flaine always has good end of season snow. Cheap self catered accommodation or the other resorts of Samoens, Morillon and Les Carroz that link to the grand massif offer good catered accommodation. The Grand massif is only an hour from geneva so cheaper / shorter trasnfer times
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks everyone, however our plans have now changed again and my stepdaughter has decided she wants to come with us now and not with school so I am back to looking at Easter! Puzzled
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

The grand massif flaine always has good end of season snow

No it doesn't. But mid March isn't late season anyway.

Easter is, but still low season in terms of French prices. I'd wait and see but if you want to book now for Easter you need to aim for somewhere with access to high altitude skiing (though in a good year lower altitudes will still be OK) and a range of aspects for different times of the day.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Endless options.

Tignes.
La Plagne.
Les Arcs 1800.
Les 2 Alpes.
Avoriaz.
St Anton.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Easter is, but still low season in terms of French prices. I'd wait and see but if you want to book now for Easter you need to aim for somewhere with access to high altitude skiing (though in a good year lower altitudes will still be OK) and a range of aspects for different times of the day.

With Easter 16/4/2017, ie very late, I would head for the snow sure resorts like Tignes.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Yeah, I was looking at tignes or val thorens for Easter 17. I found a ski all in deal for VT for £650 pp for 15-21/04 so just enquired on that, though I'd have preferred the first week of the holidays it was sold out.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Phae88 wrote:
Yeah, I was looking at tignes or val thorens for Easter 17. I found a ski all in deal for VT for £650 pp for 15-21/04 so just enquired on that, though I'd have preferred the first week of the holidays it was sold out.

"Easter" as in when the schools break up, is not high season. You should be able to get something for the 8th and at a good price. If the deals aren't there now just wait until 7-14 days before.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
WAIT until the week before.

Check current snow conditions and look at forecasts.

Look to see who is offering the best last minute deal at a resort with the prospect of good conditions.

I would start by looking at Skiworld's last minute page and then see what Skiline had on offer.
latest report
@Phae88,

Historically, there is still very good snow base depth in VT in April:

http://www.onthesnow.com/northern-alps/val-thorens/historical-snowfall.html?&y=2016&q=base

You can try these two package companies who do very good pricing in VT (and other large resorts) and often include a free ski-pass for the VT part of the valley (value: €238). You can upgrade the ski-pass to the whole of the 3 Valleys; and you can add flights. Also free bronze ski-hire is included sometimes (value approx: €80). The free ski-pass and ski-hire really add-up in value.

www.sunweb.co.uk

www.whiteroad.co.uk

But do read all the small-print carefully. Linen, towels, tax etc. are often extra. And check the reviews of the actual accommodation they are offering at www.tripadvisor.co.uk. And note of course, that much of VT accommodation is in tired big apartment blocks from the 1980's, not always well-managed. If the deal is really cheap; do be careful.

But if you are prepared to be very flexible, then you could take @TQA advice and book at the last minute.
latest report
Thank you all, have booked VT for a week at Easter. Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy