Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes - Early November

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hey folks,

We are thinking of booking a last minute trip out to Tignes for the first week of November to ski the glacier (snow fall depending) . We've done a few seasons out there in our younger (job free, child free) days so know the area well, but wondered whether anyone has visited for some pre-season snow? Was it worthwhile?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Was there for a few days at the end of November 2004 and was lucky to have nice sunny weather, I member that there were quite a lot of stones around on the piste on the lower slopes but it was fine higher up. Of course every year will be different so its worth waiting as long as possible before booking.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I did two months (Oct & Nov) in Tignes le Boisses during the Autumn of 2014 working for Mountainsun at the Chalet hotel Melezes as a ski tech and driver and really enjoyed it.
I had visited the Melezes during the Autumn of 2013 on a short break and returned to work for them briefly the next year whilst in between summer and winter contracts in Morzine.
Tignes in the Autumn can be a bit of a gamble for a short break. Because the skiing in Autumn is often only confined to the Glacier and high winds can be a problem.
At 3000 to 3500mts high the winds on the glacier can really pick up and the problem at that time of year is that there is very often no skiing at lower altitude. If the winds pick up enough you often have delayed opening or full closure of the glacier for the day.
This happens maybe 1 day in every 7 to 10 days but if your unlucky then it can happen for a couple of days in a row when bad weather moves in.
The skiing at the start of October is normally limited and only on the glacier but if they have had snow the lift company are usually pushing to get Double M piste open by mid November (or earlier) as they can then charge slightly more for the lift pass when Double M is open.
Once Double M is open then there is the option to lap the funicular in turn making the vertical much more appealing.
I believe the opening of Double M is dependant on snow and last season the snow came very late to Tignes and Val d'Isere.

Staying at the Melezes hotel ran by Mountainsun is very very good value. They provide an unbelievable package for the money and everything is included.

Complimentary transfers that tie in with afternoon flights to GVA (depart Geneva airport to Tignes at approx 7pm)
Complimentary BASIC ski and boot hire (can upgrade for a free).
Shuttle runs to and from the funicular/hotel daily
Breakfast and two course evening meal
Afternoon tea (I think)
Lift pass
Complimentary transfer leaving Tignes at 4pm back to GVA on day three for evening flight back to the UK

I think the glacier is in ok shape this Autumn. If you did do Tignes for a week and had a car then a day trip to Annecy is an option if the weather is poor and the sports centre/swimming pool is another bad weather option.

Another good shout is 'inside out' ski coaching who do a very good pre season coaching trip to Tignes and usually use the Melezes. Video stuff in the evening and all that if any snow heads fancy a 'tune up' for their technique.

Another good value way to stay in Tignes catered in the Autumn is with The Tignes Chalet Company. (lots of ski instructors taking exams/training stay with them in the Autumn).

Regarding the ski area, The ski racers and their coaches set up camp early and take up lots of space (The glacier would not be open if they didn't visit so it is what it is). The racers normally pack up and are gone by noon and lots of space opens up on the Glacier. The last funic down is about 3pm but can't quite remember.

I'm off to Tignes on Friday for a 3 day weekend with Mountainsun. I'll post pics here this weekend or next week. For the money Mountainsun are charging it really is superb and just a pre season bonus to get on the snow.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Wot @@247snowman said. Seconded. I was at the Melezes last November (so, hello, we probably met!).

From my perspective, I found it inspirational to watch the racers do their thing. I viewed it as a perk of the trip to see them up close.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@snowchick31, I have run courses on gate Glacier first week of Nov for the last 6 years. photos are here if you want to see what the snow has been like... http://www.insideoutskiing.com/gallery/preseasonphotos.html
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The French A team is usually there skiing super G https://vimeo.com/30681009
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
This is all really helpful, thank you so much!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We've been to Tignes in early November about six times snowchick31 - usually good to very good conditions; only once was it poor (ie rock hard/glacial ice) - but we made the best of it and still had a good time.

Another time the glacier was storm bound with high winds and torrential rain on one day - but that's mountain weather for you.

It's just so nice to be away in the mountains and skiing at that time of year.

One more thing I'd add: Yes, you do get the race teams training but there's still enough space for everyone else - I've never felt like it's cramped my style too much.

And finally: Staying at Tignes Val Claret would be my recommendation - easy access to the funicular that gets you up to the glacier in about 6 minutes. PM me If any interest in an early season deal on my apartment there wink - under five mins walk to the funi.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@mountainaddict, Yes, we thought Val Claret would be the best place to stay - I'll pop you a PM now.

Just hoping my son's passport arrives in time now!!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@@247snowman, Thank you! I'll look forward to seeing your pics - have a great weekend!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'm out at the end of Oct, mid Nov and for the season opening at the end of Nov. I'm going for other reasons but expect to ski at least one day on each of the earlier two trips.

For my money, I would definitely stay at Melezes.

You could rent an apartment in VC but by the time you rent a car, or pay for transfers, then hire your kit (if you can find a hire shop that is open) and pay for your lift passes, you will have doubled the budget of staying at Melezes. The bar and restaurant at Melezes are a nice place to spend the evening and with everywhere else shut (think 'ghost town') until mid November, that would carry a lot of weight for me if I weren't familiar with the area.

The snow is currently down to around 2800m. It was snowing on Sunday evening as I started to head home and the glacier is in really good condition. As it is always in the shade, it won't be long before Double M is open all the way down too.

http://tignes.roundshot.com/grande-motte/

Whatever you do, have a great trip.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I second that for the Melezes.
I just spent 4 days there and had a great experience.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Bit of a late reply, but the trip on the 14th October was good.

Staying again at the Melezes was fab and it's a great pre season deal that includes transfers to/from Geneva, lift passes, ski's/boot hire, and half board accom for 3 x days.

The Lift company were busy putting a new rope/wire on the Grande Motte Cable car so that was out of action. That was not ideal as also the Rosolin drag was also closed so we only had Champagny drag and 3500 drag to play on.

(If the Grande Motte cable car and Rosolin drag are open then it spreads people out on the glacier a bit).

I believe the lift company were trying to get the new rope/wire fitted and the cable car open for the start of half term. With only two drags open before half term it did mean that there were queues with lots and lots of ski racers using the glacier.

The queues did ease off lots late morning/lunch time as the racers are mostly done by then.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy