Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

ski whilst you can.

Poster: A snowHead
Hi there.
wanted to just relay my story. I am almost 62 years old, I started skiing at the age of 29, late for some but back then money was tight and as we all know skiing can be an expensive hobby (no Ryan air back then). like many others I was smitten from the off, couldn't get enough of the damn thing. weekends in Scotland to warm up then of to wherever every feb or march , sometimes both. managed a quick week in the French alps one xmas too. I was still a regular football player and the game before my ski trips I always stunk the place out as I would only put half a shift in rather than injure myself and not be able to ski. at the age of 40 I had a neck injury, quite a bad one, I jumped to head a ball and I felt something go. as the doctor was debating a course of action I asked only one question "can I ski?" he said I'm afraid not, too risky. I paid no attention and continued to ski for the next 20 years. Austria, France, Italy etc and a dream trip to Colorado were all achieved. in my plans were Argentine, Japan and New Zealand. I didn't get to those places, I did the usual summer hols like you do with a family and kids, I still went skiing in the winter but time and money restricted how far I could travel. I regret missing those countries so much. the point of all this is almost overnight I have developed a muscle problem in my legs, still under the doctor but I can say now that my skiing days are over, I can hardly walk so skiing has no chance. I may still go purely for the après ski but feel the feeling of just watching skiers too hard to take.

so listen to an old man. for goodness sake ski whilst you can. 62 isn't old, anything can happen, I took my legs and health for granted, I could see me skiing into my 80's. don't make the same mistake. ski whilst you can.

I wish you lucky lot well. its been a blast.

Bill.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@w11ons, sage advice - but are you sure you have explored all the options?

Not just "is there a medical solution that hasn't been applied" but some more basic ways to get out and have fun on the snow...

http://www.disabilitysnowsport.org.uk/
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@w11ons, so sorry you're in the wars. That's a very moving post.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@w11ons, thank you so much for sharing your story. Yes I completely agree, follow your passions while you can - it's a truism to say that life is not a rehearsal. I'm your age and was re-bitten by the bug a year and a half ago after a 3 decade abstinence. Whilst I would love to still be on the snow in 20 years time, I don't know what's around the corner and am pursuing my obsession like an addict i.e. spending all my available dosh on it!

I hope there may yet be hope for your snowy future.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Fingers crossed for a more snowy outcome in the future... as you say, you never know.

I am definitely focussed a lot more on spending time in the mountains than advancing my career, work is just something I do as little of as possible to fund my pastimes.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@w11ons, here's hoping things improve for you, and that skiing may even return to your agenda.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Absolutely agree. I'm approaching 62 and my brother in law dropped dead a few weeks ago with a dissected aortic aneurysm aged 66. No warning at all that we can tell and unless you are already in intensive care, not survivable.
So just spent 6 weeks clearing house and putting on market.
Made me really realise that I 'm definitely staying in the mountains as long as possible each winter!
And if you are going to go, a DAA is painless and pretty quick after feeling faint.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@w11ons, a great post and advice. Just sorry about the circumstances behind it. A similar age to you, I've been lucky and keen enough to ski about 90 weeks, mostly Europe but also lots in USA and Japan. I'm hoping to creak on past 100 weeks, injuries, wear 'n tear allowing.
If not, then exciting memories and friendships made will be consolation for me. Good luck and I really hope you find ways to continue enjoying the mountaiins and snow.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Really sorry to hear that you're grounded, @w11ons. You're very young to have such a major problem. Silly question, really, but have you tried a good physio? They can work wonders.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@w11ons, Really sorry to hear your bad news. I hope you can find some way to have fun in the snow.

I learnt to ski when I started working in Sweden when I was 34. I then skied regularly each year for ten years. Then we moved back to England and because of work and other commitments my skiing got put on hold. Then last year I decided to take it up again at the age of 71. Best thing I have done for years. Already I have booked my first Snowhead bash for January and I am really looking forward to it.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Bill, like @under a new name, I want to point at sit-ski or whatever other option of that kind.

http://www.totalskidskolan.se/

sorry no English - but Google translate will do the job, (and I am sure they talk English).
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The Mojo would be worth a look before giving up: http://www.skimojo.com/

Mr Mojo is a regular in these forums and often attends our events where it's possible to familiarise yourself with or even test out the Mojo.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I can sympathize with your post.

I skied every year from 1978, but have had a deteriorating back, which finally grounded me in 2010 (I was with the resort osteopath as much as I was skiing).

Over the next 3 years I tried all the usual injections, but nothing worked and the absence from skiing was difficult to take. Finally, I was sent for a Spinal Fusion (L3/L4). I was resigning myself to the fact that I may never ski again, as the outcome could not be taken for granted.

Anyway, the Op was a success and I put a lot of time/effort into the rehab and have to stay very fit....but I have skied for the last 2 years (and am booked again this season). I have heard that there is often a time limit of about 10 years before trouble can set in again, so I intend to make the most of that time.

I'm sorry that you have had a less successful outcome, but hope something will work out more positively for you in the future.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Tue 11-10-16 17:39; edited 3 times in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I started skiing when I was 55 ,I am 68 now and intend to carry on as long as I can ,please pass me carefully as I only hear boarders these days. Everyone should keep going there's plenty of room on the mountains
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I too find this thread moving but also uplifting - it's a timely reminder that we could go under the bus at any time so need to get on with the things we love most. I do hope the OP finds a way to get after it in a sit ski or whatever

I came across this at the weekend which I thought was apt:

"Happiness looks like a snow covered mountain and sounds like laughter" which was a quote from an 8 year old child
ski holidays
Such a sad 'end' to a passion, if indeed it doe's end your skiing days. Like several others here I started relatively late. A boy from the back streets of Salford didn't get much opportunity to ski in the fifties & sixties. Finally had my first ski trip a few weeks short of my 35th birthday in 1984. Couple of hiccups along the way. Broken Tibia in 97, took the top right off and tore the MMl. Still have 2 screws in the right knee. Then 2011 did a big one. Almost cost me my life, but back up on skis again in the Dubai 5 months later. Still going though and about to start a new adventure with a winter season in Colorado.after 10 winter seasons, (working in the Alps). I will be turning 66 during this winters work but hope to do loads more yet.
w11ons--Don't give up yet. As they say, 'there's always hope'
snow conditions
@w11ons, The thought of having to stop skiing at 62 makes me sad!
If you would like to talk through some of the adaptive skiing options, please let me know. (Via PM is also OK if you prefer.) I'm an adaptive ski instructor with a lot of experience and access to some pretty useful equipment. There may be a way to get you back out there if that's what you want.
latest report
....some great offers of support as well as the post carrying profound implications. I am as fortunate as Old Man of Lech - huge injury tally including broken back and shoulder separation - this done to me by a motorcyclist jumping a red light, not me skiing. I am fortunate that pushing back to fitness worked, although some aspects of climbing not possible now. And, after a day where I was last up the hill in our group of four doing the single track in QE2 country park, I lay on the bed with my son - he 11, me 58 - and explained that soon he would be way up on me in speed and technique, and I would increasingly be pushed to keep up. This from being at the bleeding edge of mountain-biking throughout the 90s and after - hyper fit and capable of balls-out days out. Where I have long been his tutor, he will soon be the master. His expression showed that he understood all the intimations of mortality that this included. I will do as I always have done, continue to buy the gear, push the technique, get the tuition, but it does feel different these days, counting down, rather than totalling up. But for sure I am heading to the hills whenever I can, and getting in the hours, recognising that I may need to shift from high-intensity sports to things which are less demanding, but not just yet.
snow conditions
@w11ons, very moving, I had a ten year hiatus from skiing (young family=lack of money!!) it was painful and I would torture myself each season looking at webcams (mainly of meribel where I worked a couple of seasons) just recently managed to get back to the mountains, and hope to carry on indefinitely!!

Bing Crosby pegged it doing what he loved, 5th fairway I believe, even if I need assistance to get up and down the mountains and I peg it whilst on skis I will go truly happy Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
A moving and sobering post @w11ons.

Go for it while you can I say.

A long dead uncle of mine won the football pools back in the 50s. Back then, as a miner in north east England, there was nothing to spend the money on but wine, women and song...So that's exactly what he did. Buses laid on to horse racing, social events at the workingmen's club etc...He blew the lot on the high life.

He was once asked if he'd ever regretted that approach. His response will stay with me for life and is now my mantra:
Quote:
Memories are better than dreams
Could anyone disagree??
latest report
@mountainaddict, and wasted the rest, eh? Toofy Grin
snow report
wllons!

So sorry to hear your story .. I'm 67 I'm still luvin it.

But I do ponder that dark morning when I wake up and think ...
"Perhaps I'm too old to learn to ski powda!"

After waiting all these years for the powder to arrive I'll be sick if its after when I can do it.
snow report
Yes try the Mo-Jos ... I do wear them when I get up early enough.
The skiing equivalent to a Stena Stair Lift.
snow conditions
terrygasson wrote:

Bing Crosby pegged it doing what he loved,

Grace Kelly?
ski holidays
PORTMAN wrote:
I started skiing when I was 55 ,I am 68 now and intend to carry on as long as I can ,please pass me carefully as I only hear boarders these days. Everyone should keep going there's plenty of room on the mountains

Another late starter at 60 and waiting for the BB buttons at 69.

I hit the gym twice a week throughout the year mainly to keep fit for my two weeks a year skiing.

I know if I lose my fitness it will be very difficult to get it back.
snow report
w11ons - Thankyou (aged 45)
ski holidays
codyaitch wrote:
PORTMAN wrote:

Another late starter at 60 and waiting for the BB buttons at 69.

I hit the gym twice a week throughout the year mainly to keep fit for my two weeks a year skiing.

I know if I lose my fitness it will be very difficult to get it back.

I thought coming to skiing at 40 I was too old, but you have given me great confidence that I can ski for a good few years yet
ski holidays
w11ons wrote:
I may still go purely for the après ski but feel the feeling of just watching skiers too hard to take.

There used to be an old guy, regular in St Anton. He gave up skiing when he was around 70 but from then on until he was 90 he always came to St Anton just for the Apres Ski Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy