Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Westendorf or Finkenberg? Help me decide!

Poster: A snowHead
I have flights booked to Munich and need to decide between Finkenberg and Westerndorf.

We are two adults with 2 older children who no longer need ski school (can cope with easy blacks in 3 valleys and are much faster than me now!).

The two resorts have been short listed as they have a doable transfer costs from Munich, and we have found decent guest house in both which will allow us to arrive midweek (plus the ski areas seem decent in both cases).

I think that the Westerndorf hotel has the edge as it has sauna, restaurant, bar and lounge. However, it is 20 mins from the village and possibly a longer walk to ski bus/ gondola.

However, one in Finkenberg is £700 cheaper for the week but is more basic and slightly better village location.

So, my question is...is Westerndorf (my preference, due to the hotel) worth the extra money or will the skiing / overall experience be comparable in both?

Any thoughts? Thanks.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I don't know Finkenberg, but Westendorf is a great resort. One of my favourite pistes in the Alps, and great for family holidays.

What's the hotel/where is it exactly?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi. Thanks for your reply. It's the Aschenwald, which seems quite a trek from the village if we want to eat elsewhere in the evenings (B&B included).
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I would vote for Finkenberg....but i am biased as i ski the zillertal at least once every year. Finkenberg has access to the whole mayrhofen area and is easily enough for a few days hard going....after that you can grab a bus and head up to Hintertux. its a bit more awkward to get down the valley as the train ends at mayrhofen.

its not the busiest of resorts for apres but there are a couple of good bars and its only a short taxi to mayrhofen, or download into mayrhofen and taxi back up.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Noo72, I would also vote for Westendorf, especially now it has an easy link to the Kitzbühel area. Hotel does look like it's about 20 min walk from Westendorf though.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks folks. The thing is, if we upgrade the rooms in Westendorf, which I'd be tempted to do, we would be paying £1800 vs £1100 for B&B for the four of us. That's quite a price difference for a slight preference...

I think I'm satisfied that both ski areas would be great, but I do have some uncertainty about the ski bus frequency in Westerndorf, whereas I know that the bus in Finkenberg stops right outside (and is close to restaurants).

This seems to be coming down to hotel compromises, the more i think about it, as both resorts seem fab.

We were in Kirchberg/ Kitz two years ago, so we'd probably just be lazy and stay in the ski welt area!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If you've never been to Finkenberg, why not give it a try? If you have, why are you not sure? I've not been for a while and I do like the SkiWelt as well, but the extra £700 would be a whole second trip for me... If the money means nothing to you, you wouldn't be unsure.

What's the accommodation in Finkenberg?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Westendorf has some central hotels....Post Hotel? etc that are not far at all from the lifts. An ex pat called Clive runs a B & B there which again is walking distance to the lifts and the local watering holes. He also runs shared transfers from Munich.

www.pensionchristoph.at
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Westendorf has some central hotels....Post Hotel? etc that are not far at all from the lifts. An ex pat called Clive runs a B & B there which again is walking distance to the lifts and the local watering holes. He also runs shared transfers from Munich.

www.pensionchristoph.at
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
do both, do one this year and the other next, easy
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Looks like the Aschenwald is next to Westendorf's train station, which is not actually in Westendorf. A better positioned and cheaper gaff in Finkenberg would be my choice.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
As HutToHut says if you are staying in Westendorf make sure you are up in the village and not a mile down the hill near the train station. If you need accommodation in Westendorf near the slopes you could try looking on the KitzbuhelerAlpen website as it has some which are not listed on booking.com.

Westendorf is a great village and you can ski to Kitzbuhel quite easily. Finkenberg is a much smaller village with not much there but the ski area around Mayrhofen/Zillertal Valley is great.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I would also recommend Pension Christoph. We stayed there a couple of years ago and it is clean and well run. It is centrally located in Westendorf and a short stroll to the slopes.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks everyone.

I think I've decide that we need to be fairly central in resort, but the resort size itself don't matter as long as there are a few restaurants.

Pension Christof is unavailable, and neither is the Post Hotel; most of the accommodation will not allow a Friday start. We are restricted by this, but have saved a lot on flights so accept the compromise.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
IMO the Aschenwald would only really work with a car. Are you staying for a particularly busy week? Westendorf accommodation gets more flexible as you get closer and getting a week with an odd start day shouldn't really be too much of a problem.
snow conditions
When are you going?
snow report
Thanks everyone! I think I've definitely gone off the Aschenwald, based on the location. We are going on Fri 17 Feb for a week (half term for some, but not all of the UK). I'm erring towards to cheaper one in Finkenberg, as Hut suggests.
snow report
As I see my place (Pension Christoph) has been mentioned - thank you all. Unfortunately we are fully booked. Sometimes friday is not a problem as we have others that fly friday to friday. If a room is available saturday we have an overflow room for people for 1 night when they want to benefit from cheaper flights. As to the Aschenwald, think why rooms are still available!! Everyone else has summed it up!! Location location location!!!!!!!
The ski welt is fantastic but I cant comment on Finkenburg. However one thing for sure - we will be here next year!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy