Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Italy at half term

Poster: A snowHead
Due to the dreaded A levels, I can't take my daughter out of school this year, so it's half term or nothing for her. I know that French resorts are horrible during half term, but I'm wondering about Italy.

I've been really impressed in recent years with the quality of skiing and relatively empty pistes in resorts such as Campoluc and Sauze D'Oulx. Has anybody out there any experience or knowledge of Italy in half term?

Thanks

Finny
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have been to Gressoney several times for half term, it was fine, slightly more people at the weekend.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
That was quick! Thanks.
So is it that more people are there in half term, but the overall numbers are so low that there is still plenty of space?

Finny
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Finny, I think it's more to do with our half term doesn't clash with an Italian school holiday, there will certainly be more people at half term, but should be tolerable, the less British TO that go to the resort the better.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Finny, We've done Madonna for a few half terms and apart from the one where it clashed with Fesitval(?) it's been not to busy at all as long as you miss key lifts at ski school changeover time.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Madonna is fantastic. No pinch points on the lifts and you can ski to anywhere from anywhere.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
As a first world problem, we vacate Chamonix for Monterosa through the entire French school holidays if we can.

Not a problem.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Doesn't seem to make much difference here in Bormio. The only week that we get any queuing is new year week.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@peter42, that is good to hear. We are going to Bormio next half term as my son is racing at the English National Champs.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
We will be in the Sella Ronda for half term, so if you can stay away from there, that would be much appreciated Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

Only kidding! Will be our first half term trip in that area, so will be interesting to see how it fares.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We went to Val Gardena in 2015 during half term, relatively quite apart from the odd lift at certain times of the day. But that didn't effect where you could go.
You also have the benefit of the Sella Ronda to enjoy.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Did Arabba more than once at half term. Very quiet compared to France. Pistes were not crowded and lift queues almost non existent. We liked Arabba because it gave us easy access to the Marmolada.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hi @Finny,

As with any resort over half term here in the dolomites we do get a little busier, but nothing like France, for the simple reason the more UK tourists go to France.

New Year does get quite busy as many Italian families go off to the slopes for this week.

The “carnival” date is based on when Easter is so it changes each year. Next year (2017) is 28th Feb.

Hope this helps
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Civetta is a quiet easy to access resort with excellent skiing for families. The flights to Venice are cheap and it's a quiet resort. You can also access Falcade easily which is also super quiet and Marmolada-Arabba on the same skipass. Well worth a look.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We have been to Arabba for the last four half-terms. It gets busy at certain lifts at certain times of the day, but generally the pistes are not too busy. The Dolomites are a great area to ski in, especially if you want to go somewhere different each day.

We can highly recommend the Hotel Alpenrose in Arabba - a great hotel which is ski-in/ski-out. We would have been going back again next Feb, but my daughter's school has decided, for the first time ever, to move their half-term to the week after the state schools, and as a teacher, I can't get away the same week as her. Big family disappointment...... Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
Sauze always seems relativly quiet but the chairlift at Sportinia is a real pinch point that could do with replacing.
ski holidays
Was in Alleghe in the Dolomites last year at half-term...very, very few English, but quite a few Polish families along with the Italians, but very quiet considering it was peak season, no queues, pistes almost deserted on bad weather days. Did a day up to Arabba & the Sella Ronda which was a bit busier in places and we did encounter some short queues at a few pinch-points on the Ronda.

As others have said, Italians love skiing at New Year (Capodanno) when it can be very busy, weekends tend to be busier too. There is no half-term school holiday in Italy, but some regions have a long weekend at Carnevale which thankfully falls on 28th Feb in 2017.
snow report
We once went to Cervinia at half term (before kids, so it was by accident), and hardly noticed the difference. Sunny weather makes the biggest difference to how full the mountain is, in my experience.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy