Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria in mid March

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All

I'm looking for some info on Austria. In the past we have stuck to the high altitude, large resorts in France - Tignes, Les Arcs, 3V etc. I'm looking to give Austria a go for the first time. It's likely that we would be going March 11th - 18th. So I'm worried a bit about the lower altitude in most Austrian resorts. We did a trip at the same time of year in 2105 to Courchevel and the temperatures were in the mid to high teens - although very pleasant the snow was disappearing by the end of the week.

Are there any Austrian resorts that would be more suitable than others for that time of the season? Also, we may have a couple of non-skiers with us so that could be a factor too.

Thanks!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Are you looking for quiet or for a party?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Lech, now part of the biggest linked ski area in Austria is as 'snowsure' as it gets, short of glacier's. Lots of walking trails for non skiers and one of the prettiest villages in the Alps. Voted prettiest, I think in 2005?. Don't be put off by anyone saying it's mega expensive, it's not for what you get. Accommodation can be no doubt but look for the UK TO's with accommodation there. they offer great value if you can get in.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've been to Ischgl a fair few times now, all of them mid-late March and while the lower parts of the runs back to the resort suffer either ice or slush I've never had an issue with too little snow up in the ski area. Too much snow, yes but not too little Smile

Ischgl's season runs through to the very end of April, so March is only really mid-season.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yep, Ischgl is a good bet. Mayrhofen worth a look as well (Hintertux glacier is nearby), and Obergurgl.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Bennyboy1 wrote:
Are you looking for quiet or for a party?

There won't be much partying done I'm afraid!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
So as above, but maybe stay elsewhere in Zillertal rather than Mayrhofen or don't stay in the centre.

Stay in Kappl for Ischgl as as you don't mind a short drive each day.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
As you are not looking for partying, and you are mentioning Courchevel as comparison, Lech indeed might be your best Austrian option
Lech actually has better snow records than Courchevel, and mid-March is a perfect time to go. We will be there 4-11 March, which is our traditional week to go, the last 10 years or so. Always excellent.
And Lech is muuuuuch prettier than Courchevel (and still offering lots of ski-in/out accomodation).

Mayrhofen is no good advise at all imo (at 600 meters altitude, there will be no snow in the valley; furthermore Mayrhofen can not keep up with Courchevel in any way)
Ischgl (and St.Anton) are also very good, talking about snow, but are really party-destinations.
Obergurgl, also very good for snow, but is much smaller.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Langerzug wrote:
As you are not looking for partying, and you are mentioning Courchevel as comparison, Lech indeed might be your best Austrian option
Lech actually has better snow records than Courchevel, and mid-March is a perfect time to go. We will be there 4-11 March, which is our traditional week to go, the last 10 years or so. Always excellent.
And Lech is muuuuuch prettier than Courchevel (and still offering lots of ski-in/out accomodation).

Mayrhofen is no good advise at all imo (at 600 meters altitude, there will be no snow in the valley; furthermore Mayrhofen can not keep up with Courchevel in any way)
Ischgl (and St.Anton) are also very good, talking about snow, but are really party-destinations.
Obergurgl, also very good for snow, but is much smaller.

Thanks for the information. Lech sounds good. Any recommendations for accommodation there? We have traditionally done self catering in France (DIY) packages but I understand that can be scarce in Austria.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
[quote="Mjit"]I've been to Ischgl a fair few times now, all of them mid-late March and while the lower parts of the runs back to the resort suffer either ice or slush I've never had an issue with too little snow up in the ski area. Too much snow, yes but not too little Smile

Ischgl's season runs through to the very end of April, so March is only really mid-season.[/quote

Definitely worth investigating. Thanks. Any tips on accommodation? Our preference has always been self catering and DIY trips but this might be tricky in Austria?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I've stopped twice at Chalet Alpenland in Zug (just outside Lech) which is with Skiworld. Pretty good value catered chalet in my opinion for somewhere close to Lech. As others have said, very snow sure resorts and a big area to go at. Lunch time dining on the mountain too is in my opinion excellent value compared to France and you get proper cooked food too.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@adriangrogan,
We are staying B&B.
Lech indeed is better for hotels etc. but does offer more and more apartments nowadays.
I would not like to stay in Zug myself at it is very quiet and a bit remote (but has lift connection)
Lech is excellent for DIY as only few accomodation -and definitely not the best- is with agents. Most acco do not need it, that's why.

Just did a random search (booking.com and lech.at) for that week for 6 persons (?) and got some very well located apartments.
Have a look yourself. Very willing to comment on your results here in the forum
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Yep Zug is very quiet but depends what you're after I guess. If you can find something of a similar value in town then definitely go for that instead as you don't have to think about getting the bus back after a few apres drinks.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@adriangrogan, DIY to Austria is really easy. Flight to Salzburg or Innsbruck, shared taxi transfer to resort, self-catering apartments sourced via HomeAway, local tourist offices or Snowheads. Lech and St Anton are both great places to ski, maybe not so easy for self catering, but they are 2 resorts out of a hundred or so,

Ischgl, Mayrhofen, Saalbach-Hinterglemm all offer good skiing, also in March. Even if the runs down into the valley will be slushy in the afternoon, all of these resorts have their main ski areas from 1500m and above and have extensive snow management as a back up. The towns are pretty, the non-skiers can ride up on the gondolas so they can meet you for lunch.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
11-18 March is still a fair way from end of season, and you will usually find snow in almost all Austrian ski resorts at that time. It would have to be an exceptionally poor year for any but the very small and very low resorts to not have decent snow then.

And by "very low" I mean ones where the skiing is mainly below 1000m.

Here are examples of some snow depths (scroll down to near the bottom, then select the week closets to the one you are interested in):
http://www.worldtravelguide.net/ski/saalbach-hinterglemm

http://www.worldtravelguide.net/ski/ellmau

http://www.worldtravelguide.net/ski/kitzbuehel

Those all show 4 or 5 years figures between 2008 and 2012, and all of them had fully acceptable snow mid-March for each year shown.
snow conditions
Quote:

but are really party-destinations.

@Langerzug,
St Anton is a serious ski town with partying if you want it.
snow report
Markymark29 'St Anton is a serious ski town with partying if you want it.' Kind of agree with that, but and it's a big but, the serious skiing is somewhat overshadowed by the partying. It is also being spoilt by it's own popularity. Far too many people heading down the same slopes at the same time of day, many of them there for the 'serious reputation', but without the requisite skills to master it, even on piste's. Just 1 view for what it's worth.
If Courchevel is the OP prefered resort in France then Lech will outshine it massively.
snow report
@Old Man Of Lech, Agreed regards Lech if OP likes Courchevel.

Agree regards busy slopes at the end of the day, same could be said of places like Val D'Isere, Chamonix and Verbier plus many others. I've personally never had an issue with partying folk overshadowing/ spoiling my holiday, to the contrary its good to have options for a couple of beers at the end of a hard ski day. I know some people do stay up until all hours, however they aren't doing much skiing/ boarding day after I guess.....its a town with many aspects to it, and enough room for all imo, once youre up on the mountain there's so many options and continued investment - its benefits far outweigh a few drunks who don't know when to go to bed! wink
latest report
@Markymark29, I think we are probably on the same wavelength!
snow conditions
@Old Man Of Lech, yes
snow report
Thanks to everyone for the information so far. Definitely plenty for me to start with.

Just to clarify re Courchevel - I only mentioned it as we had been there recently at the same time of year and I was glad Of The altitude given the relatively warm weather. I'm not saying it was my favourite resort or that I would be looking for something similar. We have stuck to large French resorts as that's where we started and then just stuck to what we knew. But now I'd really like to go for somewhere with more of an Alpine village/town feel to it. Especially as we'll have non skiers..
snow conditions
adriangrogan wrote:
Mjit wrote:
(Ischgl)

Definitely worth investigating. Thanks. Any tips on accommodation? Our preference has always been self catering and DIY trips but this might be tricky in Austria?

As Bennyboy1 said if you're not there for a party and don't mind a drive/bus each day stay down the valley rather than in Ischgl it's self. There's plenty of options and more in the way of self catering appartments vs. more hotels and B&Bs in Ischgl proper. Both Kappl and See have their own small ski areas if you're more the late breakfast/few runs/long lunch/few runs/cake crowd than the not satisifed until I've had at least one 200Euro taxi due to missing the last lift and getting stuck in Switzerland one.
latest report
@adriangrogan, I think it was mentioned above, but many Austrian resorts look low on the map but you actually get a gondola up to the skiing which typically starts at 1800m+, this is the case in Fugen/Kaltenbach and in Mayrhofen so don't be put off by the comments above. It's actually better for your non skiers as they can meet you for lunch. It's also better as you can drive to other small areas within 10-15 mins which you cannot do if stuck up a mountain e.g France. And if the last run of the day is slushy and crazy busy just get the lift down....I wouldn't take my kids down happy valley in St Anton for example. Too crazy.
latest report
Don't be put off by hearing Mayrhofen being described as a party town, it's actually quite quiet and laid back but with a few good après spots if you want them.

If you want quiet hotel, the Laendenhof is quiet with a very good restaurant and comfortable rooms.
snow report
@Bennyboy1, +1 Zillertal will be fine that time of the season. If you are not bothered about nightlife then I would probably have a look at staying in Zell am Ziller. Some nice hotels and better deals.
snow conditions
As above I went to Mayrhofen last season at the very end of April and it was still very good. Most skiing is above 1500m.

Like others have said you should be fine at that point in the season, in fact I think it is the best time of the season. Often most snow lying, longer days and (at least in theory!) a better chance of some sunshine.

I'd also add Serfaus to the list, an amazing area and high altitude for Austria. Very, very reliable for early and late season, often one of the earliest to open given altitude and incredible snow making.

Self catering in Austria is also a doddle, I almost always book having found something often the resorts own accommodation search - they're way better than the French resort website accommodation searches.

Good luck choosing, you have tons of options!
snow report
Has anyone mentioned Solden??

Extensive high altitude skiing, with two glaciers; can be lively in town but there are quieter places too.

And (I think) the lift pass still includes a day in nearby Obergurgl.
snow conditions
Vorderlanersbach or Finkenberg also worth considering if a quiet life is required and access to same system. Mid March the snow depths have built up and up the road there is always the insurance policy of Hintertux glacier.

Quote:

So I'm worried a bit about the lower altitude in most Austrian resorts.

Bit of a myth. Lower altitude maybe but further into the continent than places like the 3V and away from the influence of the Atlantic. Austrians are masters of snow management and snowmaking these days too.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Kuhtai or Obertauern worth a look too if higher altitude is really vital.
latest report
I cant understand why people keep recommending Ischgl
Its a horrible place with rubbish skiing wink
Ive no idea why we are going yet again this winter
latest report
I buy a Salzburger superpass (235 euro me thinks) and fly to Munich which has cheaper flights and car hire than Austria. Its a two hour drive to the Salzburger ski area which gives you access to Kitzbuhel Ski Area, Zell am Se (including Kitzsteinhorn Glacier) and my favorite bit - Hochkoenig; also gives you Wagrain, Saalsbach-Hinterglem ski circus, leogang, Flachau, Schladming. The pass says it covers the biggest area in Europe and I have skied these areas for 4 weeks on the trot and not done the same run twice.

If the weather is bad is Kitzbuhel, no problem - head over to Hochkoenig (I have skied here Feb half term and been the only person on most of the pistes!!). All the areas are about 45 minutes drive between each other, and there is a huge choice of places to stay to suit all budgets - try Maria Alm, its a gem.

Yes Austria is low in terms of altitude, but they have invested heavily in snow making equipment so as long as its cold you can ski from the tops into the valleys. Austria also has an odd climate in that air from the Med. creates moist air which as it hits the alps gives a good snow record. Also most of the pistes are on meadows which means the base layer holds better and new snow 'sticks' nicely. I skied until the end of the 1st week in April this year and had no problems finding good snow.

Anyway, wherever you decide to go you can't been Austria in my book - have a great trip

Austria is also relatively cheap compared to France for passes and eating out; paid out £25 for an omelette and frite in Maribel.
snow report
@Markymark29,
You are right, St.Anton is a nice village as well, especially compared to the French purposed built rubbish. I was a bit too much in the Courchevel-Lech association

But I still do think the OP should stay with one of the top resorts in West Austria, i.e. Lech, St.Anton or Ischgl.
Only these can really compete, size- and altitude wise, with Trois Vallees and the other large French resorts. The OP will be pleasantly surprised!
ski holidays
Most of Austria is melting by March.

Head high.

Lech.
St Anton.
Ischgl.
Obergurgl.
Solden.
ski holidays
Stuben could be a good option if not fussed about partying, and gives you good access to Arlberg. Oberlech/Lech definitely up there with the best in the Alps. I would agree with others on Ischgl/Kappl.
snow report
Whitegold wrote:
Most of Austria is melting by March.

A pure (and stupid) lie.
snow conditions
@alex_heney, Most of the northern hemisphere is melting by March isn't it? Seems like reasonable advice to me, I'd be going high in mid March, more chance of cold conditions, decent snowpack and less likelihood of melt surely?
snow conditions
Markymark29 wrote:
@alex_heney, Most of the northern hemisphere is melting by March isn't it? Seems like reasonable advice to me, I'd be going high in mid March, more chance of cold conditions, decent snowpack and less likelihood of melt surely?

Just what is this one-dimensional obsession people seem to have when it comes to snow? We don't live in a static climatic system where you can follow a line of latitude and the temperature/pressure/humidity will remain exactly the same at x,000ft, we live in a dynamic one.

Yes, the higher you go the colder temperatures get (until you hit the tropopause at least) but also in general the further you are from the sea (at the same latitude) the colder temperatures get. The snow line in Europe doesn't sit perfectly flat, like the surface of a lake it tilts down from the sea. As a result it's higher in the western Alps and falls as you travel east. The reason French ski resorts are higher than those in Austria isn't because the Austrians suffer from cronic altitude sickness or acrophobia but because they NEED to be higher in France because the snow's higher in France. The snow's lower in Austria so the resorts don't need to be as high.

Sure, don't go to a low resort in the western Alps in late March but the eastern alps should be fine.
snow report
It's not one dimensional its common sense.....that said I agree with your point regards going east, we ski mostly in Arlberg which is eastern Alps, and high so I'm not concerned, I would be however if I was intending skiing in a lower further east ski area like say Kitzbuhel.
snow report
Spot on. It's really unhelpful to make generalised statements about the climate in Austria; I have lived in Austria and skied there for the last 10 years and never had a bad season, even in early April. If you are prepared to travel up to 1 hour you can find good snow in most places that time of year. Fair enough there won't be much in the valleys, but there will plenty at 1600m plus.

My brother in law works for the Panoramabahn ski lift company and he prefers to ski in March as the snow is good, the crowds have gone and you get more bluebird days. He also tells me that in common with the rest of the Alps, Austria is getting less snow - however temps are getting lower which is why his company have just invested another 3 million euros this year on snow making equipment. So unless you are after nice powder, piste skiing is still top class in most places between December and end of March.

By all means join the crowds in Lech, Zurs and St Anton if you want to, I prefer something a little less busy such as the Resterhoe side of the Kitzbuhl ski area.
latest report
Markymark29 wrote:
@alex_heney, Most of the northern hemisphere is melting by March isn't it?

Not really, by most reasonable interpretations.

Technically, yes snowpack is more likely to be reducing than increasing by then, but not to anywhere near the point that there isn't enough snow to ski on.

Quote:

Seems like reasonable advice to me, I'd be going high in mid March, more chance of cold conditions, decent snowpack and less likelihood of melt surely?

Again, technically, yes there is more chance. But that is always true. Just as much "more chance" of those things in mid February as in mid March.

It is VERY rare for any of the major Austrian resorts, at any height, to be significantly short of snow in the2nd week of March.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy