Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Stretched ACL?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
So following on from my knee injury... http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=124607 ...along with the TPF and damaged meniscus the other thing that the speciallist said is the scan showed I've stretched my ACL (was probably already stretched and I've made it worse) and the physio thinks it's quite likely given how sloppy the joint was after. Overall the knee isn't giving me any issues other than (at worst) slight discomfort. Never lets me down, no clicking/sticking, and puts up with all day on my feet at work (constant turning/twisting), long walks and riding my bike up 120miles without probs though prob average of 75 most Sundays. Mostly it just feels a bit odd.

So next week I'm booked on the Oktobertest North and that'll be my first ski since doing it (except skiing down the mountain after). So does anyone have any advice, experience, etc of skiing with a stretched ACL?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Take it easy... almost 6 years ago on the Tignes EOSB I had a nasty fall which buggered my knee. I was told my acl had gone. As I was then almost 58, the surgeon didn't want to replace it but I eventually persuaded them. Before the op, I had about 6 months of 'knee gum' which effectively strengthened the muscles around the knee. The outer miniscus was also damaged and he trimmed that. Although previously told the acl had gone, after the op my surgeon said it was there, but stretched. I could have probably done without the op, though the op leaves me feeling more confident.

'Knee gym' was run by my local hospital physios. Most fitness places would have the same range of equipment and if you haven't yet been given a programme by physios, I suggest this will help considerably.

For about a year after the op, I used a good knee brace for skiing, prescribed by the physios, so didn't cost me. If you find the knee a bit unsteady that is another option to consider.

G'luck!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
After a fall some years ago I was diagnosed with a stretched and frayed ACL. While the initial injury took a while to heal following surgery to clean it up, once I no longer had pain the physio I did strengthend the muscles surrounding the knee sufficiently that I can ski or do sport all day without any problems. When the muscles are relaxed there is still very obvious movement in the joint but the muscles compensate well. I used a knee brace initally, but I suspect this was a psychological as much as physical support!

I find that when skiing the muscles are working more or less constantly and so continuously stabilise the joint as required. It is an unexpected twist or turn that can cause problems when the muscles are relaxed, so I no longer play contact sports where it can get unexpectedly stressed. Otherwise it causes very few problems.

I make sure that my legs are well warmed up in the morning before skiing hard and have found that I need to be careful at the end of the day when tired, as I have been more likely to feel a twinge as tired and lazy muscles don't support the joint as well and are more likely to experience unexpected twisting and flexing due to lack of concentration.

Hopefully everything feels OK once you get on the snow!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Well after all afternoon yesterday at the ski test (on top of a 50mile hiily bike ride in the morning and the same Sat), it looks like it's OK to ski on. No after effects this morning either. Whether it's good to fall on might be another matter.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yay!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
holidayloverxx wrote:
Yay!

Though I'm taking a throw everything at it approach, I'll and avoid that including storage heaters wink
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
wink
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
forwood wrote:
Take it easy... almost 6 years ago on the Tignes EOSB I had a nasty fall which buggered my knee. I was told my acl had gone. As I was then almost 58, the surgeon didn't want to replace it but I eventually persuaded them.

The irony of your story is that there are studies showing that the results of ACL reconstruction in the over 40"s are not only comparable, but often better, than in the youngest patients.
I've lost count of the number of patients over 40 who i have successfully got back to skiing, with ACL reconstruction, after they had been told they were too old.

Jonathan Bell
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
What exactly does "stretched" ligament/tendon means? Is that the same as a "partial tear"?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Good question. I was told my scan showed no tear. I've also been told that stretching appears in scans as a waviness in the fibres of the tendon. Care to clarify @Jonathan Bell, for us.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@adithorp, similar with my MCL...laxity but no tear
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy