Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Banff or Whistler in April?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I know - its not a bad dilemma to have really!
We went to Banff this year at Easter for our sons (6yr) first ever ski trip and we all loved it. Didn't mind the bus trips to the hills at all. Loved the Canadian way of life, standard of tuition, the quiet slopes and variety of terrain. Locals we saying that conditions weren't all that great but for us - good intermediate piste skiers I guess - I though they were fine.

So we are going back to Canada next year, partly so we can stop off in Toronto to visit good friends. We want two weeks off so Easter is our only option (both sets of grandparents would kill us if we were away at Christmas!). The obvious thought was to go back to Banff, but on looking around I've found myself looking at Whistler. The bigger ski area is definitely a draw for me. However my two big concerns are the snow at Easter (we will be going the first two weeks of April and coming back Easter weekend) and the crowds. I have visions of bare slopes low down. I don't mind a bit of slush but I definitely prefer skiing back down the mountain compared to getting a lift at the end of the day. And the crowds, everyone goes on about how busy Whistler is. Is this busy by a Europe in half term standards, or busy by North American standards? I don't mind lift queues but what I loved about Banff was the wide empty slopes. How busy is the village? All we want is a couple of beers at the end of the day and a restaurant that doesn't mind children for an early dinner then we have a few drinks back in the accomodation whilst the lad is asleep(!). Will the village resemble Magaluf on an 18-30 holiday or are their quieter spots?

So may questions! Do we stick with what we know works or risk something new? I think snow reliability has to be high on our priorities if we're flying that far

Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I was in Whistler in April last year. it was phenomenally warm, but I think everywhere in Canada was last year. It wasn't too crowded, certainly didn't come across as Magalauf at all. Definitely quieter spots. But then I wasn't out and about at 11pm. The snow up high was fine. The run down to the village was open but there is no way I would have skied it back. Think April will be out of BC and AB school holidays. Don't know what to suggest as many other resorts close about the first week in April, not necessarily because of snow but because of demand. Canadians start playing golf.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi @TommyJ I'm pleased you liked Banff so much, I'm very fond of that area, I call it God's Back Yard.
I've never been to Whistler so I cant really comment.
But someone else will. Madeye-Smiley

And @gryphea you are so lucky to live on God's Front Lawn
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
My mates at the Whistler cat/heli operator pull the plug at the end of March, but that doesn't mean that the snow's gone, just that most of the visitors are gone.
So April is late, but look at the historical snow record to decide if you like what you see. Whistler's not really any different to the rest of BC in that respect - the systems are the same.

Whistler... it's often wet low down at any time of year, I'm not sure I'd worry much about that, most people don't. You either like coastal snow or you don't... and there is a lot of it.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@DrLawn, we do have fun here!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I think you'll be fine in Whistler so long as you don't mind if you have to upload and download from mid mountain. I don't expect outside of the weekend it will be busy either. It sounds like you're trying to persuade yourself that Whistler is worth a try and all things being equal you should still have a great time there. By way of comparison, though not exactly the same, I did closing day at Cypress Mountain on 30 April a couple of years ago and it was fine. Not stellar conditions but more than acceptable. Oh and it was deserted.

Finally if doing Whistler you could combine with a few days in Vancouver which is definitely worthwhile at that time of year.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
bigtuboflard wrote:
I think you'll be fine in Whistler so long as you don't mind if you have to upload and download from mid mountain. I don't expect outside of the weekend it will be busy either. It sounds like you're trying to persuade yourself that Whistler is worth a try and all things being equal you should still have a great time there. By way of comparison, though not exactly the same, I did closing day at Cypress Mountain on 20 April a couple of years ago and it was fine. Not stellar conditions but more than acceptable. Oh and it was deserted.

Finally if doing Whistler you could combine with a few days in Vancouver which is definitely worthwhile at that time of year.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It was very warm last year at Banff at Easter. T-shirt weather down in town but the slopes were in surprisingly good condition. It actually made for perfect weather for the lad to learn in. I wasn't sure if last years temps were the norm or a bit of a (?El-Nino?) freak. I did worry that if that was how warm it was in Banff then surely Whistler at 675m would be roasting.

We are definitely going back to Canada next Easter and now Whistler is definitely on our shortlist. After all even if the ski out is closed top to mid station is far more vertical than many North American resorts!

Thanks for all the advice
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It was roasting in Whistler. However @TommyJ, it was a wierd year and was warm everywhere for a lot of the season.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@TommyJ, So last 2 years have been very warm in Whistler late season especially. last year it was not too bad on closing day down to the village on Whistler mountain but i would still have downloaded as I don't like slush. If you stay on Blackcomb you don't really have a choice as gondola download goes down to the village.

We have been many years at our school Easter breaks and it was reasonably quiet as it is not a big holiday time over there. BC schools have 2 weeks in March so April is always quieter. Now we go in March (April work YE Issues) and have to be careful to miss the BC school holidays or it is very busy. Compared to Europe at Easter it is quiet.

Village is generally busy in the main drinking establishments within 50m of the lifts but go another 100m and there are loads of very quiet places on any of the 3 different download points. Note drinks places have daft rules about no kids in most of the place you need to be in the roped off "family area". This is just over the rope from the non-family area; completely potty. You will be better off going to a hotel bar.

There are many family friendly food places in the village, particularly Spaghetti Factory & Caramba. If you want to eat early I would book the day before to be sure you get a table though as most people eat early.

Got to be worth the comparison and don't forget to post and tell us all how you got on and what you think is better.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy