Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Weekend from Geneva - Accomodation?UPDATED - Going to Lapland instead!

Poster: A snowHead
Hi thinking we might sneak in a weekend in February. Ok flight prices from Glasgow to Geneva. Thurs- Sun. Would be 2 adults 1 child or may be 4 adults 3 children.

My first thought is Morzine, been before for a week. Any other resorts? All intermediate skiers. Where best to look for Accomodation? Don't want to spend a fortune on a weekend.

I end up never booking flights for a weekend as worried the whole thing (usually due to transfers) works out as expensive as a week. Probably would prefer not to drive so that the driver(s) can have a couple après before leaving. Flights arrive 11.50am and depart 20.20. Is there cheap transfers that are reliable available.

Hopefully we'll get a weekend off the ground this year!! In fact we may just make it an adult one and leave the kids behind!!

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 17-10-16 10:49; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Gilly28, if you want to book now, have a look at a hotel search engine - booking.com expedia etc for accommodation. I've also done airbnb for a weekend and that worked well. Alternatively just book the flights now and wait until nearer to book the accommodation. You will get much better availability nearer the time.
I'm sure that pamw will be along in a minute to advise missing the French school holiday weekends!
As to transfers - I would always car hire as I want to maximise the time on slopes.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
How about getting the Chamexpress from Geneva airport and go to one of Chamonix/Les Houches/Argenitiere|?

Buses going every half hour for €23 e/w and loads of accommodation available on booking.com in either of the 3 resorts. I'm looking at 3 nights in Les Houches on 19th-22nd Jan , coming in at less than £230 per person for flights,transfer and accommodation in Hotel Cristal.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Gilly28,

Do you have flexibility to make it January or March? Feb is peak season and it is much harder to get weekend accommodation in the peak (it can kill the prior and following week for the hotel/chalet). We let our apartment out and we would expect to fill it through Feb so we would have to charge a lot to lose that revenue for only a 3 night booking.

I've always done my weekend trips in Jan for that reason.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have a friend who has a great Chalet place on airbnb in Les Houches suits a family of four about £100 per night.
I'd say if you are going to Les Houches you're best to ensure you have a car if you want a night out in Cham, the village itself is a bit limited, Kitch Inn is great but it's appeal wears off after repeated visits.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I've done Le Grand Bornand easily enough from Geneva for a short trip, not quite so many options to get a transfer but if there are 4 adults and 3 children you can get a private minibus transfer sorted easily enough (that's what we did and with the same number of people). Transfer times are basically the same as for Morzine/Les Gets or Chamonix valley. Accommodation as others have suggested through hotel search engine, airbnb etc.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Gilly28, as @jedster, says, France and February for a weekend, doesn't equal low cost I'm afraid. If you can go Thursday to Sunday in January or mid-March, there'll be lots of options for a reasonable cost, but likely more if you can do Wednesday to Saturday (more changeovers on a Saturday so owners/hotels are only compromising one full week of letting, rather than two).
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks all for the suggestions. We can go Jan, just thought I'd check for early Feb ad coincides with sons half term so he would be off the Friday, Mon, Tues, however if it was significantly cheaper would take him out a Friday.
Forgot I may have to have chemo (how can I forget!!) and won't know that till October. Thinking could book the flights and hopefully it'll fall in my "good week" or they will agree to move a week. Hopefully no chemo though snowHead

Now to take the risk and book flights or not....!!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@bigtuboflard, I'm liking the sound of Le Grand Borand. How much roughly was your transfer? If it was only us, as in 2 adults and 1 child, would car hire be best?

Can you give me a bit of info on the place? Just general stuff like are there some ok eating places for nightime, nothing fancy required, bars? Proximity of accommodation to slopes.

Thx
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Gilly28, You forgot you may have to have chemo? Wow talk about cool. Let us know how you get on with travel insurance .
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@johnE, lol I know!! Just had surgery two weeks ago (breast cancer) and hoping chemo is not of enough benefit. Oops and keep forgetting about insurance, thanks for the reminder. I know there are various providers folk use, but haven't looked into it yet.
Mmm thinking that will probably be a problem if chemo on cards. Sad Maybe better not book those flights till I know-darn
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Gilly28, The French hols start 4 Feb - little chance of in-resort weekend accommodation after that. Even before, they're not that keen until pretty near the time.

You should be able to get insurance which would cover you for the usual twisted knee on the slopes, and maybe just exclude the cancer-related complications. I wouldn't worry about delaying booking your flights because of concerns about insurance (though you might want to take advice about how you'll feel. My DiL had chemo after breast cancer surgery and she felt too unwell to want to go away, until it was all finished - she's absolutely great now, though).

Yes, I'd always rent a car too - even though I'd be the driver. Transfers are never cheap and will cost the same regardless of duration of stay whereas rented car will be cheap for just a few days.

You might find you need to stay in a valley town (e.g. in Sallanches), in which case a car would be essential.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Gilly28, I went through the same thing earlier this year but managed to get away with just radiotherapy. I hope it is the same for you too and you get the all-clear soon. I read about an insurance company called insurewith (http://www.insurancewith.com/wintersports-travel-insurance/) which was set up by a lady who had breast cancer and could not find suitable insurance. May be worth giving them a go?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Gilly28 I think I used Peak Transfer

http://www.peaktransfer.com/en/le-grand-bornand/

Seemed to remember it being cheaper than hiring a car for the week though that was for four adults and two children. It may well end up being cheaper to hire a small car if it's just two adults and a child (especially if you don't take your own skis with you).

As a resort, I think it's really pleasant, generally mostly intermediate slopes, nice and wide runs in the most part and can avoid drag lifts if you're not keen. Mostly French visitors though a few English too, though certainly not like you'd see at the popular destinations in Haute Savoie.

As a town there are two places to stay, the main town itself, at around 1000m and then Chinaillon, at about 1300m. Only one red run down to the main town and can often rely on snowmaking to keep it open, though don't let that put you off. There's two cable cars/bubbles to take you up from town to the main slopes.

In Chinaillon you're more slope side with a few chairs to start on and you can then head from there up towards the Maroly valley and on to Duche valley behind. Again generally nice steady runs, a good selection of on mountain restaurants.

Depending on what you want in the evening you'd have decide if the main town or Chinaillon were best suited. I've only ever stopped in Chinaillon but that was because we wanted somewhere right next to the piste with young kids in tow. Personally, I really like it as a small resort, very different feel to other French big resorts, just don't go expecting mile upon mile of motorway cruising.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Should have added; there's a few small quiet bars in Chinaillon (green monkey?) and in the main town too from memory though nothing rowdy. A good selection of restaurants in Chinaillon too, La Bournerie always gets a good write up though as other half is vegetarian we gave it a miss and went to somewhere on the main road. Oh and a good takeaway pizza in Chinaillon too.
snow report
@Gilly28, in order to maximise the time on the slopes we've always ended up hiring a car from Geneva to get to Le grand bornand when going for a short break. There are public transport options which are cheaper but would really eat into your time. Taxis are about 130 euros each way - have a look at legrandbornand.com
As @bigtuboflard, says, you could get a quote from peak transfer but not sure if they charge extra to go up to Chinaillon if you choose to stay there. Chinaillon would add an extra 15 mins or so to the journey up from Le grand bornand village centre.
Yes, it is the green monkey pub! But also now a lovely couple of wine bars in Chinaillon and a new bar in the roc de tours development just back from the slopes which should be open for this coming season.
It's not a big deal but I would probably opt to stay in Chinaillon as it's one less lift up each morning before you can ski and there is enough choice for eating and drinking as long as you're not after riotous apres ski.
ski holidays
Thanks all le grand bornand sounds ideal. Just the kind of place we like, small but as long as one wee bar you can go to just for a few beers if wanting a change from hotel/apartment or just as you come off the slopes.
@FionaG, thanks glad to hear your on the way forward now. I think insurance should be fine, it's just now deciding whether to book the fkights on the chance that if chemo involved I'll still manage a weekend. From what I hear people start to feel better on day 10, so it's evety 3 weeks, so if I can fit it in on a good weekend.... But no one knows how they will react to chemo.
Anyway, don't really want this to end up a cancer thread, that's just an inconvenience to booking holidays!! Might risk the flights and wait till my appt early Oct to see what they are saying.

Now off to check out that website for Le GB
snow conditions
As said before, if you can avoid the french school hols it would be much easier. Really not easy to find weekend accom during as no-one keen to "break" weeks for a few day booking http://www.education.gouv.fr/cid87910/calendrier-scolaire-pour-les-annees-2015-2016-2016-2017-2017-2018.html

Otherwise, loads of options. Never been to GB. Sounds nice.
ski holidays
Hi
Shout me if you decide to go to Chamonix, My flat is in a quiet corner and works well for 2 adults and 1 child. Its weekly rental in school hols but outside that weekends are ok.
Regards,
Caroline
snow conditions
@cp1000, thanks Caroline, will keep that in mind!
snow report
@Gilly28, I was thinking that if you haven't booked your flight yet then it may be bettter to go somewhere else on 18/2/17. We flew to Milan a few years ago and skied in Gressoney for the weekend. There didn't appear to be any problem getting a hotel room for the weekend for the 3 of us. We got a late afternoon flight from Luton on the Friday and a late one back on the Sunday evening. But we hired a car and drove to the resort

Where are you thinking of flying from?
snow conditions
Ski-2 do lots of options for long weekends in Champoluc (Monterosa ski area in Italy). It's about a 3hr transfer from Geneva.

From Glasgow/Edinburgh it's also worth looking at Easyjet into Munich. Hundreds of Austrian resorts within a couple of hours' drive and they've all got lovely hotels. You don't want to be messing about with self-catering when you're only there for a couple of days. For a mid-Feb break this year we went to Nauders, which wasn't too busy at all but it is about a 3 hour drive.
ski holidays
Quote:

You don't want to be messing about with self-catering when you're only there for a couple of days.

Unless, like me, you do not actually like hotels but prefer your own space
snow report
@Gilly28, we take a lot of short break/weekend bookings and are relatively close to Geneva - website link at the bottom of this post.
ski holidays
Short weekends you may be better renting a car and use a low resort so less chance of needing to put snow chains on. If you rent from the Swiss side in Geneva the cars come with snow tyres if you book on the French side snow tyres are extras. If you use a transfer company dont book a shared option if you want to ski on your first and last day. Shared transfers they call you the day before you leave with your pickup time so if using transfers take the private transfers also a close resort to Geneva like Cluses or Grand Massif the lower station like Samoens, Morillon and Les Carroz are only an hour and good access to a large ski area. Flaine the top station is an extra 20 minutes and lots of self catered apartments
snow report
Lauterbrunnen valley has links to 3 major ski fields, witha total of 195km of skiing pistes to 3400m high. Just over 2 hours from Zurich and Geneva. Good for both advanced and beginners. Being in the valley means the kids can get a break if there is bad weather and do something like swimming, indoor climbing or skating. We are just 50m from the free ski bus that takes you in 5 min. to the ski lifts by train or cable car. Own lockable laundry with boot dryer, soap powder and dryer, sauna, table tennis room, other english speaking families own flats there, friendly and 7 min walk into the village.
snow report
So as title says, we have now booked a cheeky week to Yllas end of Jan, so we won't be doing any weekend trip (also going to Paradiski area 2 weeks April)
We had a timeshare week that we needed to use up and have went from Vegas, Florida, South Carolina to Mexico and decided on Lapland! No difference. Good flight prices although not direct as they are only possible with packages, and even then we'd have to travel to Manchester, so we will deal with it.
Can't wait! Will cost us a small fortune in trips, but it's a bucket list or a few ticked! Will be a Christmas present for our son!
Plus, for those who are interested, (it was touched on previously) no chemo required! 15 sessions of radiotherapy in November and that will be active treatment done!
ski holidays
Gilly28 Good luck with your treatment and your recovery. I know from very close family experience that you can get normal ski insurance but exclude any cancer related treatment (by ringing the insurer). That is what my family member did as, by the time of the ski trip, treatment was completed - so it was just a case of getting back to normal life.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@mountainaddict, Yip, we called our insurance, annual cover including snow sports and they said exactly what you are saying, and it's what we expected.
It's great to be able to plan life again!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy