Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Jobs - which one?

Poster: A snowHead
Been a lurker here and can't quite find previously given advice that I need.
Taken the plunge and sent out a bunch of applications for jobs this coming winter Smile
Ive been lucky so far and had three offers.

One of which I've accepted, which is a full time transfer driver. I won't go into too much detail over the company..However, having looked at the cost of living in
Morzine(inc. rent, ski pass, food/drink etc) and the pay, Im wondering how much better off I would be taking this job? It seems like £1400 a month, minus basic costs, probably leaves you with about the same as 'package' job(inclusive of accommodation, lift pass, transport etc) of say £500 a month for a driver/maintenance role. As for ski time, the transfer job offers 2 full days off, but as far as I can tell, would not leave much ski time the rest of the week.

On the other hand a job with a 'package' and lower wage, seems to give at least 1 day off and maybe a few hours skiing everyday(except transfer day). But realistically the only expense I would have is food/beer money and would be less 'stuck' in the job given that I wouldn't have a rental agreement or having paid for my own pass etc.

Sorry..long winded rolling eyes

Would love to hear what the general consensus is? Is there a pecking order of the most desirable jobs?

Pretty much only interested in improving my skiing! Ready to put in the work to be able to do that Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I personally would get the highest paying job i could find now and work all hours that god sends, save every penny. Then find the cheapest place to live on a good resort and get any evening/night job. The money you have saved can keep you going and you can go out everyday and not be tired to a company telling you when you can and can't ski. Even if you live 1hr away form a resort you will find better jobs with higher pay.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Tayho, what's the "package" job? Typically the more you get paid, the less time you get to ski for yourself.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Decisions, decisions. Given the chance, I'd take @KernowRed's advice and work hard now, save cash and then spend as much time as possible on the slopes.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If I could, I would!
Going with savings anyway, definitely not doing any of this for the money. However, it's a big commitment to spend say £3k upfront for seasonal accommodation, plus initial extras like a pass. Is this a fairly common thing to do? Not got much hospitality experience in all honesty and my French is sketchy(but working on it Embarassed ). From what I understand the KP, night porter jobs and bar work gives the most ski time?

@under a new name, driver/maintenance for a medium sized Chalet company. I reckon about 4 hours skiing a day and 1 day off.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Whilst the advice people are giving here would get you maximum time on the slopes, working is an invaluable way into the local seasonaire community and without a job of some sort to give you a way to meet people etc etc then 5 months is a long time by yourself!

In general the transfer company jobs and TO roles are broadly paid the same amount, the difference being that with a TO role you have the accom, lift pass etc given to you and with a transfer company you pay these things yourself. With the transfer company jobs you have more freedom so you can keep costs down (eg by living out of resort) but I wouldn't advise doing that on your first season.

Both are nice work as well, and you'll have a great time whichever you choose so you're in a good position!

Given that you have already acccepted the transfer company job my advice would be to stick with that. You'll find that you get more than 2 days a week to ski during quiet times, and you can maximise your ski time on work days by volunteering for early starts in the morning (so you get back at lunchtime and up on the hill). If you're worried about the financial side of things ask the company if they have any suggested/recommended accom where you would be sharing with other drivers. Loads of transfer companies offer this and it makes it a bit cheaper which is good.

Any help?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I spent a season in NZ and worked in a local graphic design studio, the people that got on the slopes the most were the ones not working for anything to do with skiing. Like cleaners, builders, postman, supermarket workers etc.

I also spent 6 weeks in Japan, this was completely on a visa card. I hooked up cheap accommodation and just snowboarded everyday. Yes i took me a while to pay off but i preferred the 6 weeks to the full season in NZ.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Snow and Sunshine, Yes definitely helpful! The conclusion I had got was that there wasn't really much difference in the pay if you calculate the inclusion/exclusion of any 'package', albeit you have more freedom to keep costs down through choice. Good to hear that confirmed. May I ask what you do? By the sounds of it you have worked a few seasons?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Tayho, I personally would go for the chalet job - I think it would be more sociable and if there's no big difference financially I think you might get more skiing in. Also, I don't really get any kicks out of driving. You may also get tips - in my day a long time ago tips made up a big part of my savings (yes, savings!).
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Work in the Alps sucks.

You are basically a slave and will get nowhere near the quantity or quality of riding expected.

Best to get a 10k loan or credit card and ski every day for 6 months.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Whitegold wrote:
Work in the Alps sucks.

You are basically a slave and will get nowhere near the quantity or quality of riding expected.

you could use the loan for the brain surgery too rolling eyes
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Tayho, Son #2 was a kp/np for SkiWorld. He had an absolute blast. He ended up volunteering for as many nights as he could get. Came off nights, made a bacon baguette and straight off to the slopes, every morning. All those first lifts and fresh tracks. When he was on nights he did not have to do changeover day so some weeks he was boarding all 7 days.

Enjoy your season whatever you choose to do.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
+1 for the chalet or TO job. Typically you get 1 and half full days off (if that makes sense - where you don't work at all), and will be able to ski everyday for at least a few hours. KP or bar work will get you the most time on the slopes. Also you have a ready made set of mates who are all in the same boat as you. All your costs are covered, you just need beer money.

My experience of people who worked outside this doing transfer work, delivery work etc (this was in La Plagne) was that they skied less, and some who had less structure to their routine, i.e as handymen, delivery drivers etc, sometimes never skied at all as they were stressed about making rent etc. Few people like the freedom of this, and there are bound to be one or two awesome powder days where you are working and can't get out when you want - experience says that they will be rare though!

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Wed 21-09-16 15:28; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

as they were stressed about making rent etc

I can imagine.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Decide what you want out of doing a season, different jobs will have different outcomes. You can run a chalet have 1 day off and ski everyday, you could be a transfer driver working 4 days s week but end up being no where near a ski lift.
Research what what each job will give and take and match up with what you want out of a season. You are fishing in a relatively small pond so you can afford to be cosy about the type of job you want. Just be ready to grab it with both hands when it comes!
snow conditions
Just also bare in mind you are not superhuman. In my 7 seasons I found I could'nt ski more than 4 days a week and enjoy it and still be capable of being nice to people on a regular basis. Be realistic and remember that you'll actually be at work whilst you are there, not on holiday!
latest report
Decide what you want out of doing a season, different jobs will have different outcomes. You can run a chalet have 1 day off and ski everyday, you could be a transfer driver working 4 days s week but end up being no where near a ski lift.
Research what what each job will give and take and match up with what you want out of a season. You are fishing in a relatively small pond so you can afford to be cosy about the type of job you want. Just be ready to grab it with both hands when it comes!
latest report
Daleskier wrote:
In my 7 seasons I found I could'nt ski more than 4 days a week and enjoy it and still be capable of being nice to people on a regular basis.

What were you doing wrong? I was much younger but most weeks skied 6 days a week, all day. And had no problem with it at all.
snow report
If you haven't secured season accom in Morzine - you'll be pushing it to find something decent by now.

Decide quickly.
snow report
@Tayho, +1 for chalet co maintenance/driver, my former position, skied most days from guest drop off and pick up (approx. 9 to 4ish) barely needed to do any maintenance work. unless there was a major problem I saved up all the little jobs in the chalets to be done for a Monday afternoon after my trip to the French equivalent of B&Q that morning as I needed to drop the linen off to the laundry.

I have posted several times over the years saying how much I enjoyed my time in the alps

I don't have any experience on how transfer companies treat their staff, as in my day transfers were generally an unregulated free for all carried out by ski bums!!!!

enjoy, whatever you choose

@Whitegold,

somebody has to do it
Quote:

Work in the Alps sucks.

and the majority of the people I worked with generally did at least 2 seasons, so if they were slaves they were willing ones!!!!!!
ski holidays
Hey Tayo.
I'd stick with the transfer driver job. Depends who you have secured the job with but I'm sure you will get decent ski time.
Some weeks you might not get much ski time (Xmas, New Year, half term and Easter) but i'm sure the other weeks the work load will slow down and you will be able to get out on the hill lots. (Skiing in Morzine and Avoriaz at Half term is manic anyway and I don't ski much those two weeks deliberately).

I'd discuss your concerns with the transfer company prior to accepting the job. You won't be the first candidate to have brought the subject up with them.

For info, I've done seasons as a Rep, Chalet host, ski tech, handy man and lowly qualified instructor . I'm going back to Morzine to be a 'part time' transfer driver this winter so I can ski and snowboard lots and improve my riding for more exams. Message me on here if you want any advice on Morzine fella.
ski holidays
I've spent a season in Morzine doing the chalet thing and another transfer driving, I'd recommend the driving every time.

Chalet hosting varies from terrible to pretty good depending on the company you work for and the guests but you do only get one proper day off and the temptation to have a lie-in, slob about and not get out there is strong. You can get out for a few hours most days but we got into hiking and riding and that is way too knackering and time consuming to do before getting back to make dinner for twelve.

I drove for three days a week and made enough to pay rent (sharing a flat with girlfriend) and do stuff. Having four days off made it possible to pick the best days (once you get used to not being on holiday, you WILL get picky about conditions) and beast them and then take it easy without feeling lazy when conditions are only fit for the punters. Driving also meant meeting more people (visitors and other seasonaires) and getting to enjoy the driver scene at Geneva which is fun.

The bottom line, in my opinion, is that chalet work is for people who don't have a driving job.
snow conditions
@Milk Corbum, interesting. My opinion has to be tempered by the fact that when I did my seasons, transfer drivers didn't exist.
snow report
Different things work for different people.
Milk Corbum wrote:
... once you get used to not being on holiday, you WILL get picky about conditions ... then take it easy without feeling lazy when conditions are only fit for the punters. ...

There speaks someone who has obviously lived and ridden in the real world.

For me the other key factor is the ratio between what you can earn doing low-skill jobs in one location versus the maximum you can earn in *any* location.
snow conditions
Quote:

May I ask what you do? By the sounds of it you have worked a few seasons?

I run a (very small) chalet company and look after my daughter - sometimes both at the same time in hectic weeks! I still get a fair bit of skiing but nowhere near as much as either a transfer driver or a maint/driver role unfortunately.
247snowman makes a good point about ringing the company and speaking to them about your concerns.
What is your gut feeling about the jobs?
snow conditions
Quote:

Work in the Alps sucks.

It's a shame you feel like that - you must have had a horrendous season. My first season I skiied 6 days a week, visited loads of other resorts, had an absolute ball, made some friends for life, and had more spending-money (ie cash in my pocket to spend just on me and nothing else) than before or since. Loved it!
ski holidays
Quote:

Having four days off made it possible to pick the best days (once you get used to not being on holiday, you WILL get picky about conditions)

Well I only did one season but I was able to ski 5 half days and one full day per week and I missed, and there was only one of those days in the whole season that I didn't get out. I didn't get picky.
But I was really motivated - I knew it would be my only season, I'd only done 5 weeks before and I was determined to get as good as I could be in the time I had. When the conditions weren't great I just lapped a bump run for 2 or 3 hours. When the conditions ere really good my cleaning duties got a little overlooked Embarassed
ski holidays
My children have worked seasons and they say transfer driving is the plumb job. Younger daughter off again this winter to Morzine with her BF who is transfer driving.
Tips for drivers are often good, but can be particularly good for companies that get paid cash on arrival rather than online money transfer ...according to my kids.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@sequoiaboard, given that the particular company that takes cash has a god awful reputation and drivers are paid for the run they do rather than per hour so less inclined to wait around, missed transfers = more angry guests etc. Which may level out the loose change you get.
wink
latest report
@Nadenoodlee, So how does a reputable firm, something like Skiddy for example, pay its drivers and how much?
Hypothetically, If I was to spend a few months in my place near La Plagne how much could I expect to earn from driving?
ski holidays
Update: thanks for the all the advice.
Gone with the driver/maintenance job.

It was going to cost way too much initially with the transfer driving job(season rent up front, transport to resort, ski pass, insurance etc). Would have balanced out after a couple of months, but not willing to risk it in that i may not enjoy the job or get an injury and loose out on the skiing etc.

Driver/maintenance job is looking good. Sharing accom with 1 other person, confirmed that I won't have ANY cooking/cleaning/hosting on top of my workload(which in the case of cooking would have ended badly). All set! Just need to pick a new set of skis Very Happy

On a side note: I'm 28. I realise that the bulk of the folk I will be working with will be younger. All in all it didn't take too many job applications to get job offers, if anyone in a similar situation is thinking of going for it - it seems having a work history goes a long way imo. Despite not having much customer relations/hospitality experience.
snow report
Quote:

On a side note: I'm 28. I realise that the bulk of the folk I will be working with will be younger.

Not necessarily, higher end companies tend to go for older staff. My daughter worked for a company that ranged from 19 to 50.
snow report
As a 65 year old about to embark on a 12th winter season, 28 is no age at all. Started at 54 after an early 'retirement'
latest report
@Tayho, nice one. Enjoy fella. @Old Man Of Lech, good work.
snow report
Old Man Of Lech wrote:
As a 65 year old about to embark on a 12th winter season, 28 is no age at all. Started at 54 after an early 'retirement'

Now that sounds like something to aspire too! What do you do and where, @Old Man Of Lech?
snow report
Handy Turnip:- Worked 7 winters for 1 UK TO as Resort/Chalet/Hotel manager. Switzerland, France, and 5 in Austria.Then switched to a slightly more upmarket TO before heading to Canada. I had a visa on the back of my partner who's job took her there and I taught skiing at a local hill in Edmonton as well as being a 'tour guide' for a local ski bus co. Back in Europe, mid season so took a little chauffeurs job for 8 weeks with a Boutique chalet company then full season Chalet/resort manager again. November off to the USA (US immigration visa dependant!), as Ski Lodge Manager in Steamboat Springs. Job secure, all dependant on the visa.
I know------it's 'living the dream' Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
@Tayho, good luck on your new adventure in the alps, if mine (and lots of others on here) is anything to go by, you will have a blast!!!!

by the way, I was 29 on my first season (same position as yours) and I would say i was nearer one if the younger ones, but there again the company i worked for predominantly employed mature couples who had looked after a home for sometime, it was only a few of the larger chalets that required more, generally younger/single staff.

I must admit because my accommodation was in one of the larger chalets, (though i had a room to myself as my days off were different to the others) i mixed in with the other staff at meal times and transfer days if i was not at the airport, because of this i had an equal share of the tips/bar profit!!

hope you keep us all posted on how the season progresses (am not jealous, much!!!!!!!!!)
snow report
@Tayho, Hi Tayho, glad to hear you have accepted the job. I accepted a driving job in Morzine last week... I'm sure our paths will cross at some point, look forward to meeting you!
latest report
@Old Man Of Lech, that's definitely living the dream! It' also given me some food for thought. I love the idea of doing a season, but thought that my time had passed. Maybe I'll just wait till I retire!
ski holidays
@Handy Turnip, I was made redundant at the end of March this year - and JanetS and I are off to do our first season aged 56 and 49. We just decided to stop worrying about all the materialistic stuff in our lives, and live for now rather than the future.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy