Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Warm gear recommendations

Poster: A snowHead
My daughter hasn't been skiing for a few years and in this time has developed Reynauds so I'm after recommendations for cold weather gear, thermals, heated gloves, boot liners etc as she's just booked for Late jan
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Lilies32, welcome to snowHeads.

Blazewear does good heated gloves and other garments.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Lilies32, my wife has Renaud's - to the extent she can't wash salad in summer (!).

She had been delighted with Blazewear thermal glove liners and has SIDAS thermal insoles for her ski boots.

Hasn't felt the need yet for heated clothing...

I'd advise layering and if budget a consideration, Decathlon do very technical kit at good prices. If your daughter isn't particularly aggressive a skier, i.e. Won't be sweating a lot, down clothing these days is lovely. Light, compact and toasty.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Lilies32, I suffer from cold hands, and have tried most brands of heated gloves, including Black Diamond, Hestra, Snowlife and Therm-ic. However, by far the best I have used are Outdoor Research Lucent gloves. The Lucent gloves actually provide positive heat, rather than just keeping your hands 'not cold'.

Assuming she doesn't have her own boots, heated socks will be a better option than heated foot beds, but I don't know reliable/robust they are.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Another vote for Blazewear gloves, and heated insoles in her boots.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@PowderAdict, those look very good but a little pricey. The Blazewear stuff was about GBP 100 (?) and OK you have to factor in the Hestras (of course) on top but still, and in spring the Blaze liners can go under lighter weight spring gloves (yes, that seriously does make sense).

We haven't had to experience the heated socks but yes, a better idea for rentals - a much better idea - no idea on effectiveness nor comfort.

Anyhoo.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
She wears insoles in her shoes so has to put them in boots, could she put the heated liners in over those or would they be too thick? I was thinking a wool base layer better than bog standard thermals? Then layer with fleece?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Lilies32, if they are her own boots, the SIDAS system (at least, maybe the others) allows for the heating element to stick to the tops of the insole then there's a super thin layer stuck above that.

Almost no volume reduction.

If you can manage the itchiness merino base layers apparently super toasty.

My wife finds though it's only her extremities that matter.

If money no object, Arc'teryx Atom jackets are amazingly good at coping with an extraordinary range of temperature needs. Other manufacturers I am sure make the same but jo idea of brands or models.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Wed 21-09-16 7:54; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@under a new name, I bought mine when the £ was still worth something against the $, and with discounts paid £165. I'm now tempted by the double battery OR Capstones, but no one has them for sale yet.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@PowderAdict, the OH actually doesn't wany hot hands just hands that hasn't shut down so the Blaze kit is perfect...
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Under a new name think we are more of a decathlon budget plus astute sale purchases of other brands...
She will hire boots so we might just go for heated gloves... If she's ok then can buy boots in the future but as first trip since developing Reynauds I don't want to spend too much
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Lilies32, your daughter could to try a few hours in a snowdome to see what she needs, especially if hiring boots. For me, heated insoles (Therm-ic) are key to enjoying the slopetime, without them I have to be more careful. With them in they seem to heat the whole body so then I don't have to use extra gloves or thermals.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mittens not gloves will really help with the fingers.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mittens as @Sarge McSarge help, but with Raynaud's there's a reasonable chance you'll need heating as well. As you'll know it's not that your fingers are cold becuase of the cold, but because the circulation shuts down. S suffers even washing salad on a warm 34C summer's day.

Decathlon do lots of good stuff e.g. http://www.decathlon.co.uk/x-light-womens-down-jacket-dark-blue-id_8344284.html

Layering the way forward. Bear in mind re cost that by buying non-ski specific stuff, you can easily wear it out and about or for other activities...
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Daft as it sounds "boot gloves" -which are neoprene covers that go over the outside of boots have been a hit with friends of ours. They both say they really make a difference and I think cost about £20. Here's a link https://www.amazon.co.uk/Alpenheat-Boot-Gloves-Small-32-37/dp/B0000TSQD4?tag=amz07b-21
For that money they are worth a go I think!
ski holidays
http://www.getgeared.co.uk/Motorcycle_Gloves/Heated_Motorcycle_Gloves

Keis Li-Ion Battery 2200mAh with Charger UK w/o Controller £60.00

Keis Heated Inner Gloves 12V £64.99

These are for motor bikes but still worth a look.
ski holidays
My wife has Renaud's too.

Things that have worked for her:

Key is to start warm and stay warm (really hard to get extremities warmed up again when they get cold, much easier to keep them warm if they start warm)
Make sure boots, socks, gloves/mitts are dry and toasty at the start of the day.
Try to avoid as much as possible removing gloves/mitts outside and use thin liners so you can keep some protection if you really have to.
Carry spare gloves which you can change immediately if you get your first pair wet
She has found mitts best (room to wriggle fingers and a better insulating air cushion) - she has some dakine ones with a pocket for the chemical hand warmer sachets (she uses these any time it isn't mild, sometimes in her pockets for remedial warm -up)
I have bought her some gloves a bit like the ones harrim mentioned - pretty good results too.
We haven't experiment with heated socks / boots but her boots always get priority on a boot drier over night so they are toasty first thing and she is careful not to tighten her boots up if we have to queue for the bubble on a cold shady morning (say)
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy