Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Overnighting outside Calais

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

Coming down for another week over Christmas but am thinking of getting into France and then stopping for the night.

I've had a look at Saint Omer and there are a couple of cheap and cheerful places but wondered if anyone had any suggestions.

By the time we are through the tunnel it will probably be about 10ish French time so don't want to go too far.

Thanks

Gary
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We've stayed http://www.hotel-bal.com about 20 minutes down the road from Calais - cheap, clean cheerful and easy to find with parking.

Also here http://www.brugnobois.com/ which has to be the cleanest place I've ever stayed, very lovely - with secure parking and again about half an hour or so from Calais.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
There are several of the chain hotels in Bethune, a bit further than St Omer but less of a detour off the autoroute.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Lots of cheap & cheerful hotels scattered all along the routes from Calais. Just use the net to find one and book in advance.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'd want to be well south/ east of Calais before I stopped anywhere cheap and cheerful.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@GaryCantley, stayed here a few times in similar circumstances (late night crossing and wanting to get an early start)... http://www.good-night-hotel.co.uk

Not far off the motorway and only about 40 mins from Calais.

Comfortable enough to sleep well. Can get a small buffet breakfast too.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
www.jungle.fr

Gets quite a lot of good reviews from the cheap and cheerful types who are looking to move on
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Markymark29, St Omer shouldn't be a problem then.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Holiday Inn Express at Lille Ouest.
It's right next to the Motorway junction. 24 hour check in, free parking and breakfast. I think it was 90 euros for 4 sharing a room last winter.
It's about an hour from the tunnel.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
We usually keep going until Reims Tinquex and spend the night there.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I often stop in a picnic area in Belgium and kip in a sleeping bag in the front seat. But once I did stay in the travel lodge style place only a few km from the tunnel. Can't recall the venue but it was fine.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
B&B Hotel in Lens, about 10 mins from the autoroute, a Carrefour fuel stop 2 mins before, its brand new and 40 mins or so from Calais. Book on line in English. Breakfasts are reasonably priced.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rungsp wrote:
www.jungle.fr

Gets quite a lot of good reviews from the cheap and cheerful types who are looking to move on

Made me smile.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
^^ ouch....thought it but didn't dare!!

My point regards being well away from Calais was a serious one. Its not the migrants rather the gang masters that are lurking about I'd be wary of, came through Calais August BH Monday and there were some really dodgy looking folk in west Belgium services (nothing new there I hear you say) and around Calais main motorway in I wouldn't like to have to stop, I'd be personally getting down to Rheims area if it was me....
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I always stopped at Béthune in winter when crossing late. I've also stopped at Laon à few times but à fair bit further. I stopped in Arras Monday which was very pleasant but I was à lot earlier.
ski holidays
Not stayed here for a few years now but have done quite a few times in the past:

http://www.fermeduvert.com/en/
snow report
Ibis in laon is great, if you've got a car full of stuff the fenced car park gives a little reassurance!
snow report
Keep an eye out for the locals...

snow report
We have found that Saint-Quentin is an ideal stop over, just off the motorway and a choice of supermarkets with petrol stations and thus a keen price. The BB Hotel ( http://www.hotel-bb.com/en/home.htm ) good value for money with a choice of restaurants on foot or a short drive away.
ski holidays
The Hotel Pot d'Etain just outside St Quentin is great. Motel style rooms with parking right outside, patio doors to terrace, and a nice restaurant. It's only a short drive off the A26 too.
snow report
Set off early and keep driving is my best advice, once they see a car full of goodies your an instant target.
snow report
Hi I went in May...took the cheap last ferry to Dunkirk, for an early morning start we stayed at the FastHotel in Grande Synthe £50 inc breakfast for 2
ski holidays
We came through Calais yesterday about 1, quick stop at Majestic and then rather a tedious wait at the terminal, bit the sun was out, and a bunch of friendly firefighters from Birmingham on their motorbikes after a short trip away were good company while waiting. All very peaceful on the roads bit I did see something late last night that there was trouble at about 3 in the afternoon. Glad that we were in the lounge on the ferry as there were some very smelly people when we were on those dratted narrow stairs going back to the car.

We stayed as usual at the Val Moret, there must have been at least 12, if not more, old classic type cars there, Belgian plates, who were on some sort of rally/tour which must have been fun.

Just booked the VM again in December for a trip down and back to Les Gets before Christmas. Tried the Auberge des Moissons for the return but it was all booked so thought we had better get something booked.
latest report
@Pamski, the Auberge is full for the saturday I wanted to book it for too. And closed when we travel down in December.
ski holidays
@Hells Bells, ah maybe it is closed when he was trying to book on the 23 red. Thanks
ski holidays
@Pamski, it looks like it is closed from 18th December until 8th Jan.
snow conditions
+ 1 for Bethune.
ski holidays
@Pamski, must get a move on and sort out our Autumn trip. Just realised it's only 3 weeks away.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Hells Bells, that is a shame as we will be going south again around 6th. Better get that one booked too!
snow conditions
@Pamski, like ships passing in the night. One day we might be on the road at the same time. We have met a couple of other snowHeads at Moissons.
ski holidays
Once again, this time, I did the journey in a day. Crossed on the 0820 train, arrived at the apartment around 2130. Long drive, especially with some hours of driving rain on the autoroute, but I find one long boring day is preferable to 2, and I am lucky to be within not much more than 2 hours of Folkestone.
snow report
Many thanks for all the suggestions. It now looks that one of the family won't be home til late evening on the Friday so it's another night drive for me. Smile
snow report
@Pamski, putting another one into the mix, just North of Reims, as we're travelling on a Sunday, and many places seemed to have closed rooms or closed restaurants (or both). A new one that I found on Logis site, not come across it before.
https://www.logishotels.com/en/hotel/relais-de-fleurette-248384.
snow conditions
If you can make it down to Reims, I can highly recommend the hotel we stay at called the Akena City Reims Bezannes. It’s a budget hotel and we book via booking.com so very cost effective but unlike any budget hotel I’ve ever stayed in it’s really clean, comfortable, modern and friendly..! 24 Hour reception which is important to us and they do food / snacks at the hotel too.
snow report
rungsp wrote:
www.jungle.fr

Though it would seem most would rather find some better accommodation on the other side of the Channel! Toofy Grin
snow report
@p20pjd, is there a resto nearby? After a long drive in the car, hubby is always promised a decent meal and a good bottle of wine. Hotel snacks won't cut the mustard. Otherwise it looks like a good shout.
snow report
@hells bells, not sure as we didn't venture out. I say snacks, but was quite happy with moules and a pot of cassoulet and the obligatory bottle of red (champagne was available but thought better of it). i was very surprised at the place given it was just £50 and most of all it felt very 'safe' unlike some of the other cheaper end hotels we've stayed in, that's a whole different story!
snow conditions
@hells bells, not sure as we didn't venture out. I say snacks, but was quite happy with moules and a pot of cassoulet and the obligatory bottle of red (champagne was available but thought better of it). i was very surprised at the place given it was just £50 and most of all it felt very 'safe' unlike some of the other cheaper end hotels we've stayed in, that's a whole different story!
ski holidays
@p20pjd, moules and cassoulet and a bottle of red would probably be just fine.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy