Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Any 'easy' Black runs in Zell am See

Poster: A snowHead
Hi there,

I'm off to Zell in a couple of weeks for the first time and was wondering if there are any easy Black runs that I could try to help build up my skill level etc I've skied a couple of Andorran blacks before which to be honest are like French blue/red runs so was just wondering how Austrian blacks compare.

Are there any difficult ones best avoided by a lower intermediate such as myself?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The_Mac_Daddy, I did my very first black run in my second year of skiing in 1996 and done it in Zell. The resort is horseshoe shaped and you normally side down the two sides of the horseshoe. From memory the black run I skied was not too difficuly but it took 20 minutes from the top at the Berghohel ( ? ) to the bottom to ski. It was a very satisfying experience. There are not many black runs in the resorts.

I wll try and post up a piste map later and give you the name of the run. snowHead
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
In Zell am see, none of the black runs are particularly challenging. Blacks 13 and 14 are both amazing runs, because they have massive verticals, are very quiet and usually have very good snow. In fact, in three trips to Zell am see (we have an apartment there), they have never been icy. They're probably comparable to difficult reds in France.
Black 15 is the other black run down to the bottom of the Schmittenhohebahn. This is the only run down from the top of the Sonnenalm side of the mountain, and accordingly, gets quite alot of people traffic, so it can be quite icy. It starts off as a gentle cat track, before it becomes quite steep and icy. Nothing too challenging, but probably a run that you might want to avoid until you've built up your confidence levels.
Black 21 is in the Sonnenalm area. It's very wide, and not particularly steep, so is probably your best bet if you want to practice your carving or if you like to build up your speed (the whole of the Sonnenalm is like this, so is really nice if you class yourself as an intermediate).
If you like powder skiing, black 6 is extremely fun, as there is alot of easily accessible tree skiing to the side of it, under the nearby chairlift.
The final black is number 11, which is the run that leads into Zell am see itself; so if you want to avoid taking the bus or using a flat blue cat track, you'll end up here at some point. This run can often be quite crowded and icy, as it connects the majority of the mountains blue runs to Zell, so it can be crowded, and icy. Definately one to take care on at the end of the day.
Below is a link to the interactive piste map for Zell:

http://www.schmitten.at/en/winteramberg/pistenplan.htm

Enjoy your holiday (Zell was a good choice) Smile
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
see here zell am zee piste map

Not very clear I know but the best of a bad bunch - the black run I refer to is just left off-centre, the wriggly one, is it number 14 cannot see the number properly
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The_Mac_Daddy, when are you going? I'm there 11-18 Feb....
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I'm there 11th - 18th March
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Zell Am See was my first ski holiday abroad and I managed the blacks there . The last one, black 11 which takes you down to the base of the City Express Gondola is a nice run. If you want you can cross it a couple of time on a winding blue that runs through the trees then do the last bit on the black to the bottom as a starter.

Enjoy it The_Mac_Daddy, we certainly did. The early season snow (dec 17th - 25th) was excelent and as Mamcoz, says very little if any ice. As you will probably be aware Kaprun is on the same lift pass as Zell and Kaprun was considerably icy while we where there.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Mon 23-01-06 20:56; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Renry m8, he meant to say what are the blacks like on your ski's. You can only comment on the perspective of going down them mainly on ure back side. Who would have thought you can wear a hole in the back of your new sallopetes on your first visit snowHead
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Cheers Wavey, .
By the way you missed a decent day at Xscape today. Even Saddler skiied ok after 5 years since his last slide. CJ did okey on his board but we kept out of his way, that was until I skiied over it Cool (was a rental board mind)
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Mamcoz wrote:

If you like powder skiing, black 6 is extremely fun, as there is alot of easily accessible tree skiing to the side of it, under the nearby chairlift.

Hi,

I'm there 28th - 4th February (next week) Laughing Laughing Laughing I'll ski Saalbach and kitzbuhel too

Any more suggestions for "catch" the powder!! Very Happy Very Happy.

Is it possible to descent directly under the Schmittenhohebahn?? Between blue 1 and blue 4 (or between black 14 and red 20)???

I see in an old map that there is a ski route down the "Saalbach valley". Do you know it?? Is it easy to take it?? Are a bus stop near the finish of the route??

Two photos. The first is that I want to give you an idea of our skill (the blue line is one of the nicest descents I had done down the schindlerkar in st.anton) and then you can suggest us thinks like this! and the second one is the map that I said before:

[/img]
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks for all the info people. It's appreciated snowHead We're off on the 5th Feb for a week, staying at the heitzmann (I think it's called?). Looking at the piste map there seems to be a gondola (city express) from the village but I've heard people say that you're better off catching a ski bus to Schittdorf and go up the Areitbahn? Seems like a pain having to use a ski bus when there's a perfectly good gondola 100m from the hotel? Is there something I'm missing Puzzled

Thanks again
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I skiied my first ever black in Zell. Run number 11 I think on the map. It was kind of unplanned, I just saw an instructor leading a group of kids down it so thought if they can do it then so can I. Very satisfying Very Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
xyzpaul, well done
I tried a black on my first day in Lake Louise - I went down most of it on my nose -
discovered later that it had been iced specifically for the men's world cup downhill - not good...
Sad

however going to zell in March and may give it another go...
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I didn't realise Saalbach was so close to Zell. Would it be possible to link the resorts???
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The ski busses are mostly new busses so they are not too bad, but as you have said the city express is perfectly located and does link well to the whole of the schmittenhohoe.
We where there December and used the City express every day and skiied down the last black run to the bottom which is at the base of the city express.
I have a photograph of this which I will post when I get home tonight
ski holidays
Thanks Renry snowHead
snow conditions
As promised The_Mac_Daddy,

Plus a view down from part way up the lift down the final run and over lake Zeller

I have also submitted a few more pictures to the Snowheads media zone http://www.snowmediazone.com/the_zone/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=360
snow conditions
johnboy wrote:
I didn't realise Saalbach was so close to Zell. Would it be possible to link the resorts???

Talking to a couple of locals around Zell, there are apparantly plans to lift-link the two resorts in the next five years, although there is some opposition from enviromentalists. Everyone I've spoken to reckons it will happen though, just a case of when.
snow conditions
Hi Al Tom. Looking at the run you did, I wouldn't have thought that you would have any trouble with the off-piste stuff in Zell. Admittedly, the area off to the side of black 6 is quite small, but it's fun before it's tracked out (pretty quickly at peak season times). Also, the chairlift is perfectly placed for doing quick loops through the area.
In my opinion, the best off-piste in Zell am see itself is off to the right hand side of Red 20, and before you go past the 2 man chair that services the area. You need to duck under a big fence to get into the area, but it is usually deep, soft and relatively untouched. Be aware that I have seen a couple of avalanches in this area, so take care if you want to try it.
In the Sonnemalm area, there are a few fun little powder runs in the trees and below the lifts. Can be fun spending a few hours here trying to find some of the better hidden routes. I must admit, I've never seen the route that you have highlighted on the piste map (which is quite out of date incidentally. Couple of new lifts since then). Perhaps if you contact a guide, they might be able to take you to that area, along with some of the big open powder fields that can be seen at the top of the mountain on your map.
The Kitzsteinhorn is basically one big powder bowl that they had the cheek to cut pistes into. Plenty of very accessible powder, including a couple of fun off-piste routes marked on the piste maps. You could easily spend a couple of days up there. Probably more if you're the sort of person who is into hiking for their runs.
I've only tried one area in Saalbach, and that is near the first gondola that you pass as you drive up the valley. Take this gondola up (crosses the road to the South-facing slopes) and then take a right until you see a chairlift that crosses over a large, wooded area (sorry if my instructions aren't very clear. I don't know how to upload images, so I can't highlight the area for you). This area has some of the most fun tree riding I've ever done. It's usually very quiet if you're adventorous and wonder away from the chairlift. Also, the trees can be quite closely spaced, so it's an exciting experience at speed.
So there you have it. Just about every off-piste area in the Zell am see area that I've tried. Don't expect anything in the league of St. Anton (let's face it, nowhere is in the same league as St. Anton), but there are plenty of fun little areas that you can waste a few hours in if you're willing to search for them. Enjoy your trip Smile

edit: there is a link to the interactive piste map for Zell in one of my earlier posts.
ski holidays
Thanks Mamcoz. May fi the conditions are OK I'll try it! And if I find another one I'll tell you!

About Saalbach, I understand that (I looked it in the Saalbach interactive map in www.saalbach.com) you take the gondola schönleiten (in Vorderglemm) and ride up the two sections. then go to take the MAGIC 6er chairlift, and under this lift there is a nice tree lined slopes. Is it OK???
latest report
The_Mac_Daddy, to answer your original question, the black on the Sonnebahn (23 if I recall correctly) is dead easy and used to be (and should be) a red. 11, 13 & 14 are the three harder blacks. All good runs, moderately difficult. 13 & 14 are steeper than 11, but wider. 15 is a generally quite easy (narrow cat trap, followed by widening out althoug a little icy) with a bar half way down. Just don't do what I did and stop in their till after dark, and ski the bottom 25% in total darkness aiming vaguely for the lights of the town.
Hope that helps ...
ski holidays
Yes it does, Thanks Kamikazi. And thanks everyone, only 10 days to go until I leave - I'm a bit excited (like a little kid)

snowHead snowHead snowHead

Al
snow report
How long does the lake usually freeze over for??
ski holidays
Anyone taken any recent pictures of Zell you want to share? Was wondering what the conditions were looking like.
ski holidays
I'm off to Zell on Saturday, and shall be taking lots of pictures as I always do on ski hols so I can have them on my screensaver at work.
latest report
please post some The_Mac_Daddy, .I do the same m8. Please post some here or in the media zone on your return. Cool
snow report
will do snowHead
ski holidays
I stayed there last week with some friends. There is a nice snow deep in all Salzburg, but all the week have warm weather and the snow transform in south sides. In north faces you can find good snow on runs.

Off-pistes not well, but rather not bad. We skied saalbach, Schmitten, Kitzteinhorn, kitzbuhel and bad gastein. The best snow in the glacier, powder snow. And in kitzbuhel the snow was powdery too. In schmitten and saalbach powder on north-facing slopes and spring conditions in south-facing. In bad gastein we found less snow than in the rest.

the snow-base is good in all highers (the thermal inversion holds well the snow on lower parts) and accord to forecast you'll ski in very good conditions.

If you like to walk on the ice, all the lake is frozen, nice views!!!...........I want to return there Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have photos and some short movies, but not from my cam, I have to wait that my friends send me it! When I can I'll show you
snow report
AlTom, have u got em yet mate
snow report
Back from Zell, had a great week - snowed every day. Took some pics but they're not the best as it was often pretty cloudy. follow this link to see the pics if you're interested http://photosandstuff.fotopic.net/c863155.html
snow report
The_Mac_Daddy, Nice pics - I can't wait 4 weeks! snowHead
ski holidays
Nice one The_Mac_Daddy, my trip seems such along time ago now, was infact only 8 weeks ago
snow report
Fantastic photos Mac Daddy!!!

We catched a really warm week with a lot of sunny ALL the days, and I can't see any cloud in 7 days (apart from fog)!!!!!

It's a pity, because I prefer a very bad time, bud with a lot of powder, I ski every week in the Pyrenees and when I do a trip to the Alps is for more vertical, for more quality snow, for to know different places and for POWDER, and we didn't found this last....sorry for the time, but we lives in different places and we can't meet for the work......I want to watched it too!!!!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy