Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

newbie, where to go??

Poster: A snowHead
hi all Madeye-Smiley

a few friends and I are looking at going skiing next year. At least 3 of us have never been skiing before but have booked skiing lessons at snow centre, hemel hempstead.

We are on a bit of a budget of around £500pp for accommodation, flights, transfer, ski equipment hire. So basically everything except spending money/food and drink. Could stretch to £600 if needs be.

Where and when would you guys suggest to go? best website to book through? looked at borovets for the cheapness but snow seems really hit and miss. Don't want to spend the money and have rubbish skiing.

Skiing and the snow is first priority, but apres is still important. We are all 23 if that helps??

Thanks in advance for the help! (sorry for all the questions!)
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
My comments:

Great you are learning to ski! Welcome to the club Very Happy

Excellent that you have booked lessons at the Snow Centre. This will get you up and running, and will make so much better use of your precious time on the slopes. Money will spent.

If you can afford it, add lessons in the resort as well. So many folks get injured because they do not have proper lessons. And don't try slopes you are not ready for — take it day by day. Whatever you do, don't listen to the siren calls of your mates who can ski telling you "it's easy" and just "come up this red slope — we'll show you how to do it". That is the Dark Side!

Learn a bit about skis and boots. Especially the "DIN" settings on your skis. This setting determines how easily your skis will detach from your boots should you fall over etc. Correctly set, these settings will prevent your knees becoming injured. The ski rental shops don't always get it right.

Check you have rented a basic beginners piste ski. The base should have no deep gouges, and the edges should be sharp — especially underfoot.

One of the big, high, French ski resorts is your best bet IMHO. Most of them are here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarentaise_Valley

Although there are endless great resorts in Europe, and no doubt my fellow Snowheads will be giving their opinions snowHead

High resorts mean better chance of snow, and lots of it. Plus a vast variety of slopes to cater for all tastes. They all have good nightlife — but check the reviews online.

So you are talking:

Espace Killy: Val d'sere & Tignes

Paradiski: La Plagne & Les Arcs

Les Trois Vallées: Courchevel, Meribel, Val Thorens etc.

Try this website. They are brokers for many other sites, and have a vast choice:

http://www.igluski.com/

Enter your dates, select a resort, and off you go. Reverse search by price! Almost all accommodation is Sat to Sat. Sometimes Sun to Sun.

Check that accommodation, flights and transfers are included. Lift passes and ski/boot rental will be extra. Book both in advance via the web and you should save some money — especially on ski/boot rental.

Accommodation near the lifts is great of course; but you may find cheaper accommodation a bus ride away. And at least try and find somewhere that is not a long walk to the bus stop. The cheapest accommodation will be self-catering — but be careful, studios are advertised for "4" people, which means 2 sofa beds in the living room/kitchen, all with one bathroom & toilet.

Price (and chances of good snow) all depend on your dates. Miss the school holidays, and the prices plummet.

And even cheaper way is to book it all yourself, which is easy. Go for Val Thorens which is the highest ski resort in Europe, and has endless cheap accommodation which is all ski-in and ski-out. Also has great nightlife and lots of good value places to eat out.

You fly to Geneva airport (which is generally very cheap from London); and then take a bus/transfer to the resort.

www.skyscanner.net
www.altibus.com

Search here for accommodation direct from the owners. You can get a studio for 4 people for £210 per week in total for all of you. A double sofa bed in the lounge, and 2 bunk beds in the hallway. Bed linen and towels can be extra. Check the reviews:

www.homeaway.co.uk

Hope all this helps! Have fun Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@keysy123, hi and welcome snowHead

Don't forget ski lessons. Lessons at Hemel beforehand is a great idea and will certainly give you a leg up over those who have never put skis on before, but a snow dome is not a mountain - the scale, speeds, variable conditions, weather, steepness of slopes, chairlifts etc. should not be underestimated!

That's a pretty tight budget though, especially with the poor exchange rate. Pick a low season week like mid January and you might find a small apartment somewhere like Les Deux Alpes (high) with one of the cheaper tour ops like Crystal. Iglu ski are an agent that cover a few of the cheaper operators, so they may be worth a look.

Good luck!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for the quick replies! I'll look into all the advice given! The resorts you've mentioned, would they be good to go to in late january/early February?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
keysy123 wrote:
Thanks for the quick replies! I'll look into all the advice given! The resorts you've mentioned, would they be good to go to in late january/early February?

Yep. Late Jan/Early Feb are great times to go. There will be good snow for sure, and you are avoiding the main school holidays. And if you go with Val Thorens, you can do it on your budget.

Note that a 6 day 3 Valleys ski pass is € 279 EUR (if you book as a group of at least 3). This covers Val Thorens, Courchevel and Meribel. You can save a few Euros and just get a Val Thorens valley pass; but you are far better having the option of the other valleys.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sat 17-09-16 22:18; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
With respect to your budget, it might also depend on when you're travelling. If not in peak weeks (half-term, etc.) then it's very manageable IMO, provided you're not expecting luxurious accomodation. Given one of the questions you've asked is "when", I'd recommend outside school holidays, so maybe some week in January.

"Where" is trickier. You say some of you have never skiied, but presumably that means others have? In any case, I would recommend somewhere where the easier slopes cover a bit of ground. Some resorts (Tignes for example) have a few lifts which don't need a pass, so for the beginners that could be an option to save a bit of cash. The guardian listed some resorts for beginners a while ago:
https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2015/oct/17/best-ski-resorts-for-beginners-europe
though haven't skiied any of those areas so can't really comment on suitability TBH. Plenty of people on here who will be able to advise though.

As for where to book through, DIY generally works out cheaper. Most decent sized resorts have their own website, so you can look for and book accomodation directly through them. In some cases they'll also offer package deals (accom. + lift pass + ski hire) which works out to a slight discount. For flights, use skyscanner or one of the alternatives to compare prices (where are you flying from?).
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@keysy123, how much skiing have the others who have skied before done? If you're all relative beginners then it isn't really worth going to one of the mega resorts as the lift pass prices are quite high and you probably won't get much use out of a big area pass as first timers, especially if you're in lessons.

If this is the case, Finland is a good option (though you'll have to make your own night life) - high standard of teaching, very good snow record, gentle slopes, chance of meeting a reindeer on the piste.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@scarlet 3 of us have never touched skis, but 1 or 2 (depending on who definitely comes) have been several times. One definite is part Swiss and used to live there so goes once a there. Is Finland quite inexpensive? Never thought to look there!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@keysy123, the ski resorts in Finland are much smaller than you tend to get in the Alps, but that keeps the price of things like lift passes, ski hire and lessons down. We paid £460 in 2007 for a self catered hut (3 proper bedrooms, log fire, private sauna, drying room for our party of 4 people as we were upgraded in arrival), flights, transfers, ski hire and 4 days of lessons with Crystal. Equivalent in France at the time would have probably been around £6-700, but with a lower standard of accommodation.

It's great for beginners, but any accomplished skiers might get bored with the small hills, although if you get a 2m dump like we did, they may not mind!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Have a look at the "Make Yourself a Snowhead Bash". The buttons aren't up for this year yet, but look at last years thread for an idea of how it works. It's tailor made for beginners and smart alecs that can ski are welcome too. snowHead

Edit: next years dates. 21-28 Jan 17.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
For three 23 year olds, check UCPA (Action Outdoors). The prices includes everything (even half or full time instruction) apart from flights and transfers. Though it will still stretch your £500-£600 pp budget.

Otherwise, I think you are looking at where Easyjet fly. In late Jan, early Feb, I think anywhere will be a pretty safe bet, even cheaper places like Bulgaria, Solvenia. As @Scarlet mentions, Scandinavia can be well priced - Crystal do Finland or Norway holidays. Or Åre in Sweden - fly to Trondhiem or Åre/Ostersund (new route for Easyjet from Gatwick) and accomodation etc though Skistar (sunday is the changeover day in Scandinavia). Although Scandinavia is quite and much more expensive for apres!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I hate to say it, but to chieve what youwnt on a budget of £500£600 you will need to be very creative. I'm not saying it's impossible but it will be hard. I'd suggest you ignore thougts of alarge, high altitude resorts in Fracnce. The lft pass will demolish your budget or a start.

Unless you can find the money out of a different 'pot' then I'd suggest you save the money on the snowdome and put it into your holiday budget.

UCPA sounds like your best bet.

At the risk of being boring, here is a quick list of things you will need to pay for with some typical prices. These aren't the cheapest, but it gives you an idea:

Equipment hire: £100
Lift Pass: £150 if you go for a limited area pass
Flights: £100 if you are very lucky
Accommodation: £200
Transfers £40
Clothing: Dont buy. Beg, borrow or steal everythning.

That adds up to £600ish without even trying. You might save a bit here or there, but you are more likely to add on quite a lot.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We went with Crystal on our first week and they used to sell a beginners package including lessons, ski & boot hire and ski pass. I'm not sure if they still do it but it was great value at the time. We went to Passo Tonale in Italy which was snowsure at 1800m and fairly cheap. Nightlife was a little quiet though.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
keysy123 wrote:
hi all Madeye-Smiley

We are on a bit of a budget of around £500pp for accommodation, flights, transfer, ski equipment hire. So basically everything except spending money/food and drink. Could stretch to £600 if needs be.

Certainly doable however you'll need to add £250-£400 for a lift pass and lessons.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@foxtrotzulu, I wouldn't say you necessarily need to avoid big resorts on that budget, my first ski trip was to La Plagne and was £450 for everything bar food/drink and lessons.

Agree that it's worth saving the snowdome money though. Normally I'd say it's a good shout but probably not worth it on such a tight budget.
latest report
I spent my first week skiing, with lessons, in Val Thorens at end Feb, start of March. I purchased the three valleys lift pass, although I spent most of my time in Val Thorens following the beginners group.

I was quite a fast learner, and spent afternoons skiing and falling down the reds and blues in all of the three valleys. I would probably not have purchased the three valleys lift pass if money was tight. As you will probably return to three valleys as a more accomplished skier, just skiing in Val Thorens area pass as a beginner would be sufficient. Although you may have others in the group who will have to ski on their own outside of Val Thorens which might complicate matters.

I'm not sure if your budget includes lift pass or not, as it does not come free with food and drink. (although the prices of drinks might make you think it should) Self catering, and stocked up with duty paid cheap booze will help (supermarkets at altitude tend to have a high mark up on alcohol, as well as food)

Lift pass costs may make up a large proportion of total holiday costs. Best to shop around there.
latest report
Thanks for all replies folks! I've found a package deal for Pas de la Casa in Andorra for £595pp inc. flights. hotel, lift pass, ski rental, transfers and lessons for end of january. Anyone been there or could recommend it?
ski holidays
I've been to Pas de la Casa a few times in my van, staying behind the large sports complex (where the swimming pool is) in the car park.

The skiing was very limited for me at that time, but probably was quite good for beginners. (the extension into Soldeu skiing was available at the time, but you need to have the correct ticket before you can use the Soldeu lifts) It will be very cheap for alcohol though, as most of the shops on the high street stock enormous quantities of low taxed alcohol and tobacco.

Good value for beginners, not much there for intermediates/experts. (apart from cheap alcohol, cigarettes, and fuel)

NehNeh
snow report
Bigtipper wrote:
I've been to Pas de la Casa a few times in my van, staying behind the large sports complex (where the swimming pool is) in the car park.

The skiing was very limited for me at that time, but probably was quite good for beginners. (the extension into Soldeu skiing was available at the time, but you need to have the correct ticket before you can use the Soldeu lifts) It will be very cheap for alcohol though, as most of the shops on the high street stock enormous quantities of low taxed alcohol and tobacco.

Good value for beginners, not much there for intermediates/experts. (apart from cheap alcohol, cigarettes, and fuel)

NehNeh

What time of the season did you go? Reckon it'd be worth £600pp? Cheers Very Happy
latest report
End of January should be fine for all but the lowest resorts, Pas should be fine. Not been myself but apparently Apres is really good as the booze is so cheap and I think it's popular with beginners...especially those more interested in drinking.
snow report
You're gonna have to slum it in a stinky 10-to-a-room hostel in France, Andorra or Spain for that tiny budget.
snow report
keysy123 wrote:
Thanks for all replies folks! I've found a package deal for Pas de la Casa in Andorra for £595pp inc. flights. hotel, lift pass, ski rental, transfers and lessons for end of january. Anyone been there or could recommend it?

good deal that.
snow conditions
keysy123 wrote:
What time of the season did you go? Reckon it'd be worth £600pp? Cheers Very Happy

I had my own skis and boots, and had to pay for a lift pass on a couple of half days skiing. The snow was reasonable at the times I was there, but it got a bit icy in places due to wind scouring.

I did not stay for a whole week, but got a flavour of the resort. I was visiting the beaches near Barcelona and in south of France and decided to pay a visit, and see what the skiing was like.
snow report
I've been to Pas de la Casa, the drinks in bars and restaurants aren't particularly cheap. On a par with what you might expect to pay in Austria or Italy - €3.5-5 for a pint. If you get drinks from a shop it will be cheaper, but that's not particularly apres!

Grandvalira (ski area that covers Pas and Soldeu) used to do an all in lift pass and lessons deal which worked out quite well. Jnr and I had lessons and a pass and didn't pay any more than the OH who just hd her pass. She didn't want lessons at the time, there wasn't really a group suitable for her anyway, I was a third week skier and that was the most advanced group when we were there.
snow report
@keysy123, Also check out Snowcoach. They might be really cheap during school hols. 8 days skiing usually too. That said Valmeinier isn't really the liveliest of places, no idea about St Gervais as I've never been.
snow conditions
I would go second half of March if there were no constraints. The snow has built up, the weather is nicer and the days are longer. Plus it's quiet.
latest report
Check out the sticky thread called 'European School Holidays'
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=124749

If you're heading to France, avoid the blue bits in the first column.
If you choose Austria, avoid the German and Dutch holidays. BTW the first week of February looks quiet on this score.
IMHO a small resort would be better value for you and, by that time of year, I wouldn't worry about going high too much.
snow conditions
For the Apres aspect i've heard good things about Saalbach / Hinterglemm and Mayerhoffen in Austria. Worth taking a look at those, flights would be into Salzburg or Munich and you could either hire a car or get a train / bus combo. (or get a package deal with someone like Crystal).

Price wise, self-catering is the best bet to keep costs down, second to that would be a chalet type deal or hotel / pension half board. Crystalski.co.uk will give you a good indication of prices for various places. I agree on the French Mega Resorts, they are expensive (but good) one to progress to if you decide you like it.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks again for all the responses! Has anyone been to or know of zakopane in Poland? Found a great deal for early Feb with everything included (even breakfast) at a 3* hotel for between 400 and 550 pp depending on what package we choose. I'm quite sceptical about Poland, but as a beginner, I may be wrong! Puzzled
snow report
@keysy123, I don't know Poland, but ..... do remember that the difficulty you encounter when learning to ski is dependent upon a whole range of factors. These run from quality of tuition and kit, weather, modern lifts through to abundance of alcohol and particularly snow conditions. Unless I'm mistaken Poland is just too low and not mountainous enough. It isn't renowned for reliable snow conditions and nothing will ruin your holiday faster than trying to skate down a mosaic of slush or ice while dodging grass and rocks. Don't skimp too much on your choice of resort. You don't need to go to Meribel of Chamonix, but I suspect you do need to go soemwhere better than Poland. I have a feeling that Polish ski resorts are the sort of places that open intermittently when conditions allow. Not ideal for a 7 day trip from the UK. But.... I could be completely wrong.
latest report
On your budget you're looking at Bulgaria - not necessarily a bad thing as it's your first time, however if you can get to the Alps it would be better.
snow conditions
@keysy123, if I were you I'd put less budget on food/drink and try to spend a bit more to one of the more common countries. Don't bother with Hemel, spend a bit less on nights out over the next few months and put an extra bit into the budget. You're not a mile away from being able to sort quite a decent trip but risk spoiling it by scrimping too much.
snow report
@keysy123, Bulgaria does fit the bill, i learnt to ski there. We go every year for a pre-season relativly boozey guys trip and struggle to spend £600 all in. Breakdown is something like this

Ski Pass, Full Lessons, Hire ~ £200 if booked as a package
Accom £200 (apartment) split over 3
Flight £120-170 (Easyjet) depending
Transfer £25 each

Food / Booze per night £25 (no club or shots and local larger) Absolute max

We enjoy it for what it is though, cheap and cheerful and (at least for me) skiing is in the back seat, i do my skiing with the Mrs in the more typical resorts. That said as a beginner it's quite good, nice places to learn, relatively tough progression slopes and good meeting points on the mountain. http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=122692 is from December last year.
latest report
@keysy123, I'd have thought Bulgaria fits the bill also esp. at the £500 mark. Have a word with winterfunman he'll sort you out a cracking deal. IMO you don't need endless kms of piste if you're just learing so mega-resorts as some have suggested are a waste of money, BUT Tignes can be done cheaply if you do it right and is awesome!
snow report
£595 inc lift pass and lessons seems pretty good. Which apartments is that for and is it full area lift pass?
snow conditions
@Gainz cheers for the heads up , I was winterfunman , but can't access my account now on here , so using my business name .

We can help if they choose to come to Bansko

And can sort a great deal for his budget too

Can offer all the discounts in bars etc that our company receive too
snow conditions
@keysy123, In Zakopane, Poland for £500pp you can have best holiday ever : )
Zakopane is very cheap and ski runs are quite good.
You can ask for more info go!ski company they offer ski packages.
latest report
I'm not going to lie and say I would do it again but a few years ago when I was a student, me and a bunch of mates managed a whole week for £400.

We booked through a company call Snowtrex.co.uk and went late season, early April, and got accomodation (self catered), lift pass and equipment hire in that to a small French resort called Chamrousse - although it did hold the Olympics back in 1976.

We then piled all our gear into hand luggage and shared a hold bag and found the cheapest flight we could.
Had a great week, drank cheap wine, and I learned that i'm not going to trust my mates to cook for me again but it is possible.
The flat was small, with 2 single beds and a double pull out, but we couldn't really complain, we were lucky and got 4 days of fresh snow.

You need to work out what is important for yourself though. Is apres going to be a big thing, because if it is, a larger or more established resort would be better, as will the likely hood of better conditions.

Keep looking and i'm sure either way you'll have a great week.
snow report
Going to Borovets in Jan for a weekend & Feb for a week which will be my 5th & 6th visit.
2 of the visits we had great snow the other 2 not so much although we still had full days and the après is class even if you are the wrong side of 45.
This year looking at going the 1st or last week in Feb and its coming out around £650 all in at the Samakov. Kit,pass & lessons.
Hard to beat value for money
snow report
If we are talking beginners I have to put my hand up for Bansko - had my first two weeks there and loved it. The lessons / lift pass deal was great and we managed the same fantastic teacher for both years (your experience may differ...).

I've not been back because I reckon a half decent skiier could do the whole thing in a day. But it is a really pretty resort and has some decent(ish) places to go out - providing you are able to bring your own atmosphere (as that really varies depending upon how many people have turned up for the week).
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy