Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Serre Chevalier Snow Report 2016/2017

Poster: A snowHead
First sighting of the elusive white stuff on a 3000m peak opposite us Very Happy

snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@KenX, Very Happy
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
And down to about 2000m this morning, too early to get excited yet tho Sad

snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
KenX wrote:
And down to about 2000m this morning, too early to get excited yet tho Sad

Never too early to get excited Smile
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
And what the guys had to content with doing the Ultra Raid de La Meije at the weekend!

This was at 2,400 Plateau d'Emparis

snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Snowing most of the day here, pic is this morning in Chantemerle where I was working on a customer's chalet:

latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@KenX, phew, I was wondering when someone was going to update us. Happy. There's a couple of photos taken in Monetier this morning I'll try and scrounge later.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
This off Mia's FaceBook

Heading out 19th then down to Camargue for some kitesurfing (hopefully) then back via Mont Ventoux for ten or so days.

Ciao
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Well the recent snow fall has put a bit of a mockers on my cycling plans whilst we're back out here!

Yesterday with Les Bitches we did an acclimatisation ride, where I rode and OH ran up the path to the Bergerie below the Granon at 2,175 then we came back down the other side to Villeneuve with Elaine taking the path to home whilst me and Les Chiens headed back to Villar D'Arene from Les Salles through Panaches and then back up to get the van.

Snow on the other side of the valley looked quite substantial on the Vallons / Cucumelle and later on had this confirmed when I bumped into Eric who runs the Cocoon and he was enthusiastically showing me photos of a hike he did up that way. And when I suggested it was around 40cm he said no, more like 70cm!!!

Just before this Elaine took a big fall, and could have been really nasty, but the old girl bounces well Toofy Grin

snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Little jaunt up the Galibier yesterday as far as the tunnel as road to the Col was shut - and as you can see loads of snow!

And then saw this guy skiing down with his 11 year old Alsatian, hard boiler plate lower down but he said powder up top, but he would only have had a short powder run, but did have me thinking should have driven up and had a quick ski tour.

Descent on the bike was feckin cold !

Now down in the Camargue and flamingos a plenty!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Looks like winter arriving with a vengeance from tomorrow and well into next week with temps of minus 14 in the valley.

We're leaving tonight staying en route at my brothers in the Chartreuse.

I've isolated the webcam and router so I can leave the cam on whilst we're back in the UK so we can see what we're missing too rolling eyes

http://www.stylealtitude.com/serrechevalierweathercam.html

Has been great weather this trip with nigh on glorious warm autumnal sunshine everyday, though lungs have been burning whilst climbing hard on the bike at altitude as it's been getting chillier of late, especially yesterday when out on the MTB's with a guide mate, and for once I was able to keep ahead but he did push me, and his wife who hardly ever cycles is so feckin strong on a bike was not too far behind hubby!

And this trip the talk has definitely been about the coming Tour de France stages and the Etape du Tour.

On All Saints Day I cycled 126km of the 178km Etape du Tour stage and was damn tough as I've been on the sauce rather a lot this trip and not cycling fit for that sort of distance and vertical!

I'm now in the process of putting a rather detailed cycling guide together with maps of routes etc off and on road for people / cyclists who might be coming here next year.

http://www.stylealtitude.com/cycle-routes-briancon-serre-chevalier.html
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
It was supposed to rain last night.............

snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@KenX, Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Posting here as I know it's patrolled by locals.

We are a group of 12 adults thinking of staying near the old town in Briancon. How easy is it to get to/from Prorel in the morning/afternoon? Is there a regular bus? It's about 1.2km from our potential accommodation, which will be OK in the morning as it's down hill but walking back up the hill in the afternoon is not good. Is there a ski deposit at Prorel?

The reason we're thinking of staying in Briancon (and not the more convenient villages of Serre Chevalier) is that a couple in the group are thinking of buying a place there. They want to experience the town and get a feel for the place. We've looked at renting somewhere closer to Prorel but can't find anything suitable (suggestions welcome). This place was on the radar http://www.laguisane.fr/ but the owner seems reluctant to answer questions about his hot water policy of 100L/person/day.

Thank you in anticipation.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Bit of a faff afaik, you'll need a bus from the old town area to the train station, then catch the free ski bus to Prorel..... The ski bus only runs along the valley floor, not up to the old town area!
snow conditions
@jzBun, if you have your own transport fair enough. I can never understand why there isn't a navette from the Old Town straight to the lifts.
ski holidays
@jzBun, 100l per person per day should be adequate.
ski holidays
@Hells Bells,
Quote:
100l per person per day should be adequate.

Probably, although a shower in the morning and a bath in the evening will take you over that. The owner states that there is a charge of 25Euros for each addition "m3". Now does that refer to m3 of water (1000l) or the additional gas used. This is pretty important; if its E25/1000l that's OK. If it's gas then that's gonna be expensive - my gas costs about 45p/m3. I emailed the owner 4 days ago but he's not replied.
ski holidays
@jzBun, water is usually heated by electricity in France.
snow report
Thanks @Hells Bells, and @KenX,
ski holidays
@jzBun, looking at the web address you've given for that place doesn't look like it is in the old town at all. It is much closer to the lifts than the old town, but probably nowhere near bars etc. I doubt your friends would get much 'feel' for the town staying there.
ski holidays
Little skin up to Serre Ratier this morning, 600m, 1 1/2hours straight up the Luc Alphand black run back to the resort:

Dreamy powder up top:

Bit thin at the bottom:

My tracks on the left, all the others are walkers, snowshoers and sledgers Very Happy

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sun 13-11-16 15:51; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
@jzBun, you will also be struggling to have a bath, as there are only showers mentioned. This seems to be the same place. http://la.guisane.free.fr/
snow report
Some cracking photos here http://www.skitour.fr/sorties/pic-blanc-du-galibier,73346.html#sortie from a ski tour up the Galibier Sad
latest report
@Weathercam, maybe we should do that this season, we've already done the adjacent valley tour!
snow conditions
@KenX, there's loads up there - you've only done one route in that valley, there's three others just in that valley!

Next valley along is Pic Blanc (the red line) but can be like the M25 as every one heads up there, then next to that is the Col itself

You can see from this how one variant is how you can drop down into "our" valley Vallon de Roche Noire

ski holidays
Thank you for that link @Hells Bells, It has more info than the one I had. As far as location's concerned, we'd rather have been near the old town but only if there was a bus. Don't mind walking up into town from the Prorel end for a couple of nights out.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It'a nice stroll, loosen up the old leg muscles Very Happy
snow report
About a 30 minute walk up there.
snow conditions
Ssssssshhhhh keep it quiet Cool

http://www.dici.fr/actu/2016/11/07/alpes-sud-serre-chevalier-station-chere-de-france-2-km-vars-plus-agreable-puy-st-vincent-sejour-cher-930789#tbSM2K2Uk6RLhgJV.99

snow report
@Weathercam, yep, shhhhhhhhhhh. Surprised to see La Plagne up there though.
snow report
Quiet in here, everyone that lives in the area out skiing?

Serre-Chevalier advances the opening of its skiable area
Initially scheduled for Wednesday, December 7, the opening of the ski area of Serre Chevalier is advanced to Saturday, December 3. An early opening, the time of the weekend, made possible thanks to the recent snowfall. The details of the open slopes will be communicated in the course of next week.

Report: http://www.ledauphine.com/hautes-alpes/2016/11/21/serre-chevalier-avance-l-ouverture-de-son-domaine-skiable-montagne

Looking good on the webcams up top (Cucumelle & Monetier), mid mountain looks white but thin and wet (Serre Ratier) and valley floor drenched. More snow to come in the next day or two but how low the snow line will get is uncertain.

Any thoughts from the locals as to what the the resort will open next weekend? Not that it affects me as I'm not out until 27th Dec, but at least for the first time in the last 3 yrs I'm not obsessively worrying about having no snow for our new year trip.
latest report
Last year was just the 3 chairs at Prorel, Oree du Bois and Foret on the first opening, this year is much more promising but too warm for snowmaking on the resort runs.
Mind you, the last 2 days they've been avalanche "blasting", probably just training.......
snow conditions
There is a webcam back up at the top of Le Bachas chairlift.

http://www.skaping.com/serrechevalier/monetier
snow report
@Hells Bells, handy Very Happy
snow conditions
@Hells Bells, great cam, nice tech, jealous Sad

Was looking at my garden Cam last night and was looking promising with snow settling on the patio then this morning obviously things had warmed up overnight Sad
ski holidays
Still looking promising higher up though Very Happy
snow conditions
Been torrential rain here for a few days now, clearing up tomorrow hopefully!
Meanwhile in Briancon, the main road has collapsed into Geant's car park again, 2nd time in a year......
And woke up this morning to find a landslide just south of our village has completely blocked the main road from Gap to Briancon Shocked
We can see it from our balcony, there's been a big mudslide from the Roche Baron opposite us which has breached 2 massive concrete walls put there for exactly that purpose!
snow report
@KenX, Shocked Shocked
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy