Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing near Montreux

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,

First post to SnowHeads..

My wife and I will be going on our first proper skiing trip in about three weeks time (we spent a day skiing a couple of years ago, and had a few lessons on dry slope + castleford last year) - but we're finally getting away for a proper weeks skiing.

We'll be staying just above Montreux, as we've got free accomodation there - my main question is where's the best place to ski? (we'll have a hire car, so will be reasonably mobile). We're both pretty much beginners (could snowplough turn confidently last time i tried, but have probably forgotten it all again now Confused ).

There's a small skiing area (Rochers-de-Naye) just above where we're staying, but i can't find much info about it
There's another small skiing area (La Pleiades) near Montreux that we've been to in summer (but again, small and i can't find much info)

There's also Leysin, La Diablarets, Villars which don't seem to be too far away, and all seem much bigger - a route planner suggests 40 minutes drive from Montreux but I don't know if that's an optimistic estmiate?

So - any helpful advice on any of the above welcome. We'll be looking to hire ski's when we get there, and probably get a couple of hours private lessons a morning for the first few days..

Thanks in advance,
Dave
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi Dave - a warm welcome to snowHeads!

Personally I'm not hugely fond of Leysin.

Villars could well be worth a look for nice gentle bunny slopes in the February sun, which is what you need. You should find a good ski school in a place like that, and it's been a long-established favourite with the Brits. The late editor of the Daily Mail (the self-styled 'skiers' newspaper'), Sir David English, used to have a chalet there. Haven't been to the village myself, but it's always looked very pretty in the photos.

Have skied the glacier at Les Diablerets, and a run down. There may be good nursery slopes lower down which I didn't see.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
DaveYoung, try this website, it covers a lot of the local area. Villars or Leysin would be excellent though.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for the info guys - I'll take a look Smile

Any idea what the drive to those resorts is like from Montreux? Would it be realistic to drive over every day?

Rochers-de-Naye is definitely the closest (the cog-train up to the top goes past the flat) but it seems to be very small - and not sure how beginner friendly it would be.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
DaveYoung wrote:
Thanks for the info guys - I'll take a look Smile

Any idea what the drive to those resorts is like from Montreux? Would it be realistic to drive over every day?

absolutely, they're just up the road, 45mins or so. There's loads of skiing in easy reach of Montreux.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
DaveYoung, Certainly Montreux to Crans-Montana or even Verbier is possible every day and I think Villars is a bit closer. I would allow yourself 1hr30 but you may cut this down as you become more familiar with the roads. My wife and kids are complete beginners and some friends are taking us to a resort in the Jura (La Faucille-Mijoux). Their kids learnt to ski there and apparently its very gentle with good tuition. My friends live in Nyon and Faucille is about 30mins from there.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
halfhand, Used to ski there regularly, its just above Gex about 15 minutes drive from Geneva Airport ( French side ). Also you could try Crozet/Lelex which is about another 10/15 minutes or so along the valley - when you are at GVA and look out at the Jura you can see the telecabine lift line at Crozet.

Both are nice local areas, that are low - so be warned, and close to Geneva so they do get quite busy at weekends and school holidays.

Enjoy
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Dave I live near Lausanne and travel up and down the same day past Montreux - an easy drive - there is also the Portes du Soleil not too fara way that I find very enjoyable.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hi All,

Got back from our trip yesterday, and I thought I'd report back... We opted for skiing at Villars in the end, and really enjoyed it - thanks for the recomendation Very Happy

The drive from Montreux was not so good on the first day (Saturday) - we set off around 9, and it took about 2 hours! (mainly on the road from Aigle to Villars - i think due to changeover day, and snow on the roads from the night before). We set off earlier (7.30) the following days, and it only took half an hour.

We got a really good instructor, and we're both now doing parallel turns (badly rolling eyes) - all in all had a great time, and we've just booked flights to go back for a few days at the beginning of April NehNeh

Oh - I also tried Rochers-de-Naye just above Montreux on one of the days - there was only one short run open, but it was very quiet which was good for practicing without having to dodge the crowds. There also looks like a really nice run down from Jaman on the way - but I suspect I'd have to be a lot better before attempting that one!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
DaveYoung, I am thinking of driving up to Villars later this season:- is it easy to park near the gondola? Or do you have to park elsewhere and get a bus?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
the ice perv, : We're both beginners so we parked near the station and got the train up to Bretaye (where the easier runs start). If you arrive early, you can park right opposite the station (1SFR per hour), otherwise there's another carpark on the right a little further on (2SFR an hour).

You can also park outside the Gondola up to Roc d'Orsay which is free - we'll probably do this next time as we can now cope with the blue run down to Bretaye from the top of the Gondola. It looked as though you might end up with quite a walk if you arrive later in the day though as the car park is pretty big.

Hope this helps! snowHead
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Free parking next to gondola - exactly what I wanted to hear. Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy