Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cave storage space

Poster: A snowHead
Anybody willing to share their ingenious ideas for maximising storage space in their cave? We have the usual boxes with lids, a hanging rail and various hooks on the back of the door and walls but probably haven't made the best use of space yet. Cave dimensions roughly 4ft x 7ft. TIA
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
our cave is about 1.5x2 and a full floor height. The rear wall has shelves at about 500mm with spacing starting a bit higher from the floor. Your lidded boxes slot onto these and the larger space at the bottom allows for more more bulky items such as double quilts and pillows to be stored. On each wall there is a rack of coat hooks which not only allow for clothing but skis to be neatly stood and poles and ice axes to be hung

Sadly all this allows for ratehr a lot of junk we just might need to be stored.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I use plastic garage racks sited against walls to provide lots of storage for plastic boxes.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

I use plastic garage racks sited against walls to provide lots of storage for plastic boxes.

me too - all along one of the longer walls. we also use vacuum bags within the boxes for long-term storage of clothes and bedding (keeps the damp out and compresses everything)

and a few of these deal with skis and poles
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003FY1G5G/ref=s9_top_hd_bw_bBAoDT_g468_i5/154-1084002-4210606?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-3&pf_rd_r=4WFMC0GD5JGXBH5K69TB&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=a6c86fda-4b2a-527e-8326-342f8e024074&pf_rd_i=165116011&tag=amz07b-21

plus hooks on the wall facing the racks for rucsacs, etc

swallows up a huge amount
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have shelves all around at a high level (have to stand on a chair to reach up there) for stuff that's rarely needed. Then a shelf further down which I can just reach where I stow stuff like tonic and other mixers. Still loads of space underneath and those shelves have strong hooks underneath, which stuff can be hung on. I also have a vegetable rack - potatoes keep for ages in there as it's dark.

There's a special doodah for storing folding chairs not needed in the apartment. And another for sledges.

I wouldn't keep bedding in there - some people do, but it's a bit damp.

I have some shock cord behind which things like snow clearing things get stowed.

Packs of beer, tonics etc are on the floor under the bottom shelf.

There's a hell of a lot in there.......
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Then a shelf further down which I can just reach where I stow stuff like tonic and other mixers.

Where do you store the gin?

We have two caves, one of which we lease. It holds the stuff we need in a hurry when arriving at the apartment - tea, coffee, beer, wine, whiskey, toilet paper, tooth paste, soap, sun cream etc Toofy Grin
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Caves..Shocked?!

Can only dream of such a luxury. No such Tardis-like facility at our place in Tignes rolling eyes
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hmm: shelves and hooks good for storage- who knew??? Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ikea Hejne (or similar) in our cave. Two sets. The walls are plastered, but appear to be metal underneath, so difficult to attach anything to them. A couple of plastic boxes stacked, a wine rack, with ski boots on bottom shelf. Stuff for cleaners on middle shelf. Bag of ski wear on the floor.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Where do you store the gin?

Gin is in the corner cupboard in the apartment, along with other spirits. White wine is in a rack in the cave (good temperature) red wine in low racks on top of the kitchen units.

But then I don't have to hide my booze away from untrustworthy renters. wink

@ed123, it always amazes me when you rent an apartment and there isn't a bloody hook to be found. All my doors have hooks on - and many of my shelves have hooks underneath, not just in the cave but in the apartment, too.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
After a problem with mice in adjacent caves anything likely to be used as mice bedding is stored under our bed. A neighbour had all of her duvets pissed on, toilet rolls and bed linen chewed. She had left food in there though, and I suspect open bags of stuff too. We once left a part-used bag of dog food in there one Autumn, as there was only a few weeks before we were back, and mice had been in then too. It isn't damp, but I wouldn't want to leave my bedding in there.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
To maximise the space you need shelves that move about like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/302060651649

But you've slim chance of finding any second hand that are exactly the right size. They are incredibly expensive new but you might be able to improvise using a bit of Ikea shelving and some wheels.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Good to hear all your solutions - thanks.
@jedster, I like the look of these racks - freeing up the floor space beneath the skis will help a lot.
We're also now considering installing some type of 'ceiling storage' for the skis in the form of a couple of rafters (aka poles!) each end of the cave that we can lay the shorter skis across.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

We're also now considering installing some type of 'ceiling storage' for the skis in the form of a couple of rafters (aka poles!) each end of the cave that we can lay the shorter skis across.

Yes - I thought about putting big brackets high up on one wall to lay the skis across but went for the racks in the end - they are not things of great finish or beauty but are convenient and after all it IS a cave!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

@ed123, it always amazes me when you rent an apartment and there isn't a bloody hook to be found. All my doors have hooks on - and many of my shelves have hooks underneath, not just in the cave but in the apartment, too

Yes! I more than doubled the number of hooks in our place after we bought it. Can't have too many
snow report
You can never have too many.
ski holidays
@pam w, we have hooks everywhere here, and shelves, and cupboards we lock. Some friends of friends dropped by a few years ago and looked around and said they could see we were boatie people as the spaces everywhere were used efficiently.
snow report
Quote:

Some friends of friends dropped by a few years ago and looked around and said they could see we were boatie people as the spaces everywhere were used efficiently.

Laughing same thing happened to me - a friend made that comment noticing the shock cords across the front of the spice rack, which was designed to prevent any jars falling down onto the ceramic hob. I always used string bags on hooks for things like fruit and veg on boats - they get air that way, and are automatically "gimbled" so they don't get chucked around when the boat is leaping about.

We had evidence of mice in our cave once. I cleared it all out and have had no problems since but I never put any food like rice, sugar etc in packs out in the cave - just tins, bottles and jars. I do put casseroles and soups and things out there to be in the cool overnight - I have a dedicated shelf for that - but they are always covered.
snow conditions
I have noticed that the caretaker of our building is always meticulous with putting down traps and poison for vermin so we do not have much of a problem.
snow report
@johnE, that used to happen when we had an employed gardien, but we had a very negligent company looking after the place for a few years until last summer, when they were unceremoniously sacked by the syndic at the start of the summer season, after many of us had pressured them into acting. We had noticed cleaning had not been done, but cleaning log signed, and the communal areas were starting to look tatty. Our own block seemed to be the one bearing the brunt of the poor service, as it isn't directly attached to the pool area, and so is less likely to be visited except by owners.
ski holidays
I am intrigued to know "what is a cave" that you are all talking about ? It's a northern hemisphere thing
snow conditions
@Sperks, it's a lockable space in the communal area of an apartment block in France. My apartment is in Austria and we have a Keller.
ski holidays
@Sperks, In Italy it's called a cantina whitch translates to one of the following, cellar, winery, basement, canteen.
Winery being my favorite Very Happy
latest report
The more space you have the more you accumulate. We have a large garage and lots of space besides that with various cupboards some of which we lock with our ski stuff and other things. As it is raining today OH is down there having a good old clear out, he also has the cupboard under the stairs as a tool store, and that is being sorted out too. I am performing miracles in the food store upstairs. How much pasta do we need.... I think I always buy packets for when grandchildren stay, and then the parents do the same. We very rarely eat it ourselves. Wish the dog did!
snow report
If you've room height wise you could could cover the floor with those lidded, rigid plastic crates about 600mm deep then place plain floorboard planks on top to allow you to walk on in effect a false floor and use as long term storage that will stay dry and be relatively impermeable to local rodent population. If you do this, you can drill a finger sized hole in each plank to ease lifting them for access.

I worked on converting a disused small building into a animal feed store that is right in the middle of a 12acre field with nothing around it, two weeks after going into use there were mice in there as the owner left a bag of grass seed inside, they really will find anything like that.

The animal feed and anything else they don't want interfered with like that they store in black plastic dustbins with the push or lids, cheap and effective and could be used for bedding as a duvet or two would easily squash into one and perhaps a run of duct tape around the joint to ensure it's secure.
snow conditions
@ski3, False floor - that's got me thinking! Thanks for the idea.
snow report
@ski3, a 600mm step up into my apartment would be a bit inconvenient. However I went into a ski shop in Arc 1800 to buy some skis; the shop assistant mover a counter and lifted up a panel in the floor to reveal where the main storeroom was - about 600mm of space underneath his shop - a real cave (cellar in English)
snow report
loatie wrote:
Anybody willing to share their ingenious ideas for maximising storage space in their cave?

Bears?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just paid a deposit for a new build apartment in Åre - we will be renting it out as well as using it, but I think there is only a ski locker on the ground floor. Ideas on a storage space for us to leave stuff if needed? I was thinking one one 50cm wide wardrobe with a locked door, or a bed with storage space under that can be locked?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy