Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Unknown resorts...?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

Looking for advice relating to the the unkown, cheaper, smaller resorts that may offer convenience to the slope? We're a group of two families coming together with 2/5/8 yr old kids so the convenience of getting from our accomodation to ski school/crèche/slopes is probably our most important factor. Whilst I appreciate there are loads of resorts that offer this, we're trying to keep it low-ish budget so I'm trying to reaserch the smaller resorts that aren't advertised by the tour operators. For example Saint Foy, La Mongie etc....

Don't mind what country provided we can drive there; any examples or suggestions very welcome!

Thanks!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Try Spain .It's fairly cheap compared to Alps. Formigal- Panticosa,Cerler ,Baqueira Beret,Candanchu,Astun or down south Sierra Nevada,to name but a few.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If you don't mind reading in French, this is an excellent and comprehensive listing of French resorts, including really small, lesser known ones:
http://www.savoie-mont-blanc.com/offre/recherche-station/stations-de-sports-d-hiver/18/~~~~~~~~~~/(page)/3

Edit: some interesting interactive maps (I'm a map geek) and filters too e.g. selecting resorts with less than 150km if pistes, and "villages de charme" gives this, with a couple of lovely little areas:
http://www.savoie-mont-blanc.com/offre/recherche-station/stations-de-sports-d-hiver/18/~~~~village-de-charme~~~~0%7C150~~/(page)/
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The Pyrenees is a longer journey than the alps.

Nearly every resort will have hotel near the ski school. I think you'd be better picking a resort and then seeing what accommodation is available.

e.g. In St Johann in Tirol, http://www.noichl.at/ has a ski school on either side of it and the main blue run into town is straight outside.

It will also depend on the type of accommodation you're after self-catering, hotel, chalet.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
La Saisies would be a good choice for a small compact resort and very easy to get to from Geneva.

http://winter.lessaisies.com

I have skied here loads with my family as my brother lives just the other side of the valley.
It has all you need lots of accommodation close to the slopes and very Savoie.
There is more skiing at Les Contamines which is just down the valley and a bit higher up.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@dredgey, try looking at Combloux near Megeve/les sessaisies, lovely family friendly resort, close to Geneva and a fairly easy drive from the channel ports if you are self driving. we went there in feb half term this year (2 young families), and cannot recommend it highly enough., I went back with a skiing buddy a few weeks later for a long weekend and found a lot more skiing that I did not find first time round.
ski school is close to the bus stops/free car parks/ski hire.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Champoluc? Antagnod? Praz de Lys? There are literally hundreds of options...
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Love budget generally means not France or Switzerland. Austria can be good value and Most of Italy usually is.
Andorra is cheap and Eastern Europe cheaper still.

Often smaller resorts offer free beginners lifts or very good deals for children.

Everyone has their own little favourite hidden gems that usually reflect the weather/company and conditions on their visit rather than an objective analysis.

A few of us skied San Pellegrino last year and loved it.
I personally have a soft spot for Risoul as it's where my kids learnt to ski and has lots of offers/ free beginners lifts etc.
I quite like the La Massana side of Andorra too. Pal is a lovely little place to learn to ski.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Scandinavian resorts can be good value IF you don't eat or drink out much
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

I personally have a soft spot for Risoul as it's where my kids learnt to ski and has lots of offers/ free beginners lifts etc.

Why is it always Risoul that is mentioned at not its slightly larger cojoined area Vars?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Try SuperDévoluy. We've driven there as a family three times since our boy was 6. Cheap accommodation including lift passes from snowtrex.

It was built as a resort-in-a-building in the 60's so it's not pretty, but it'll tick your smaller/cheaper boxes.

http://www.ledevoluy.com/
https://www.snowtrex.co.uk/
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@acute_angina, How long is the drive from Calais to SuperDevoluy? I`ve always ruled it out for driving to but perhaps thats a mistake?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@CaravanSkier, it's about 9-10 hours driving, but we've always done it in two hits - stopping off in Troyes or Dijon and staying in a cheapo Ibis for the night. Works well for us as there's only the three of us - so we're only looking at the cost of one hotel room each way.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

I have skied here loads with my family as my brother lives just the other side of the valley.
It has all you need lots of accommodation close to the slopes and very Savoie.
There is more skiing at Les Contamines which is just down the valley and a bit higher up.

Yes, Les Saisies might suit you. Though I'm not sure there is a creche, as such.

But just to correct that information - Les Contamines village is much lower than Les Saisies (which sits at 1650) though the very top of the skiing in Les C is a bit higher than the top in Les Saisies. There is far more lift-linked mileage in the Espace Diamant, of which Les Saisies is just one part than there is in Les Contamines. Ski school meeting places generally more convenient for accommodation in Les Saisies - likely to be a short distance, then up a gondola (or two) in Les C. They're both great places, though.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
dredgey wrote:
Hi,

Looking for advice relating to the the unkown, cheaper, smaller resorts that may offer convenience to the slope? We're a group of two families coming together with 2/5/8 yr old kids so the convenience of getting from our accomodation to ski school/crèche/slopes is probably our most important factor. Whilst I appreciate there are loads of resorts that offer this, we're trying to keep it low-ish budget so I'm trying to reaserch the smaller resorts that aren't advertised by the tour operators. For example Saint Foy, La Mongie etc....

Don't mind what country provided we can drive there; any examples or suggestions very welcome!

Thanks!

Niederau. Ok so there is a raoad to cross for most of the hotels, but apart from that should tick most boxes
ski holidays
http://www.meiringen-hasliberg.ch/en/Winter/Experiences/Chidrens_Ski_Area_Bidmi
snow report
Nauders in Austria is a great little resort and pretty good value. The base gondola station is about a km out of the village but most of the hotels run guests up in their own minibuses. On you're on the hill I think you'd find it very convenient as the kids crèche and ski-schools are at the top of the first gondola. As with anyplace that's off the radar for the major UK package companies, there won't be many English speaking people there.
latest report
@nixmap, Looks lovely, but really some of these places need to get their websites in order.
ski holidays
@nixmap, Looks lovely, but some of these places need to get their websites in order.
ski holidays
Sainte Foy is compact and easy to get the children to ski school etc, but check out the prices there as my recollection is that ski school was quite expensive compared to other places. English is widely spoken which would be good for your children. However to me it felt like the Home Counties on snow Laughing snowHead NB. there is no pharmacy in the village you have to drive 20 mins down the road to one. (this was true in April 2015 - not sure if there is one now).

We preferred Les Saisies which is a beautiful resort and perfect for children learning to ski. It is also one of the easiest places to drive to. I'd also recommend Le Grand Bornand in the northern alps.

There are cheaper lesser known places in the Maurienne and southern alps but then the cost of driving to the southern alps is higher, and there is the extra time sitting in the car. Via Michelin website is a good resource to check out driving times and costs as it includes toll and fuel estimates. Bear in mind that the timings are based on driving at 80mph and if it rains the speed limit is lower. Then there is the time taken for lunch and loo stops.

We have been on ski holidays with Peak Retreats for many years and would highly recommend them. Their website includes several lesser known resorts and if you are thinking of self drive they include the Eurotunnel crossing in the price.
snow report
CaravanSkier wrote:
How long is the drive from Calais to SuperDevoluy?

I would say that it is comparable to driving to Serre Chevalier. I haven't skied at Super Devoluy but have driven past it to get to Gap.
snow conditions
Thanks for all the pointers so far. Does anyone know anything about Le Salles les Alpes? Is there a ski school meeting point there or is it a yomp to another ski area?
ski holidays
Just a thought - if I knew of any unknown resorts then they wouldn't be unknown.
ski holidays
@dredgey, are you driving and DIYing?

Definitely not Les Contamines. Great ski area but does not meet your criteria at all.

We went to La Norma once. Lift pass and accommodation definitely cheaper. If you get accommodation in the right place could be very convenient.
snow report
@Layne, We are indeed looking to drive and looking for self catering. Basically something that is easy to pile into (4 adults and 3 young children) and equally easy to pile out of in the morning!
snow report
dredgey wrote:
@Layne, We are indeed looking to drive and looking for self catering. Basically something that is easy to pile into (4 adults and 3 young children) and equally easy to pile out of in the morning!

Doh, just checked your OP again and it mentioned driving. With young kids you are obviously the shorter drive the better.

And when are you going? With kids presumably in school holidays? Christmas/NY, Feb, Easter?
snow conditions
Les Saisies is by no means unknown (especially as I go on about it here.....) but I do think it would suit your criteria very well. But when are you planning to go? It gets very busy in French school holidays (being extremely well known in France and popular with families.... wink )
snow report
Our first DIY trip was to La Clusaz in March around 10 years ago. Drive was relatively easy, and La Clusaz is one of the closer resorts to Calais. Sons were about 5 & 4 (maybe a year younger) and had a great time in the snow play area at the bottom of the main slope Mrs KK is a none skier so we didn't use a crèche. Village was reasonably compact and we stayed in Riffoids area which has a nursery slope leading to the main lifts.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
A guy I work with and went on a 4-family trip was raving about La Clusaz earlier in the year. He's only been a couple of times mind so not an experienced judge.
snow report
Near to Grenoble Les Sept Laux, Chamrousse, Alpe de Grande Serre and Villard de Lans. Thé 1st 3 in the Belledonne the last Vercors. Loads of very small resorts in Chartreuse. I've skied A de G S, lovely little resort. À few reviews of the others on here I think.

In Haute Alpes, Puy St Vincent and Risoul. I've skied PSV, nice resort and I went to Risoul in May, although closed it looked good.
ski holidays
acute_angina wrote:
@CaravanSkier, it's about 9-10 hours driving, but we've always done it in two hits - stopping off in Troyes or Dijon and staying in a cheapo Ibis for the night. Works well for us as there's only the three of us - so we're only looking at the cost of one hotel room each way.

Interesting, thank you, I have obviously misplaced it geographically speaking Laughing

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 17-09-16 8:23; edited 1 time in total
latest report
http://albiez.fr/

....would be absolutely perfect for you. We keep going back there whenever we are nearby as it's one of our favourite resorts - specifically because it is quiet, pretty and very family orientated:

This is the village (sorry about the hideously large borders):

ski holidays
Thanks for the further suggestions, we're looking at half term (England), not ideal but my brothers kids are at school age plus my sister in law works at a school so unfortunately we're a bit commited to that week (11th - 18th feb)
snow conditions
dredgey wrote:
Thanks for the further suggestions, we're looking at half term (England), not ideal but my brothers kids are at school age plus my sister in law works at a school so unfortunately we're a bit commited to that week (11th - 18th feb)

Not ideal obviously but by looking at small resorts of the TO radar you give yourself the best chance. Les 7 Laux worth a look. We were booked into got there Christmas before last but because of the conditions it didn't open and so we switched to Tignes instead. Would still like to go. Easy to get to and I reckon it wouldn't be too mobbed even at half term. I am sure snow conditions would be fine normally it was just a bad early season when we wanted to go.
snow conditions
I wouldn't recommend Les Saisies at half term. British school holidays and TOs are irrelevant because the overwhelming majority of visitors are French. It'll be very busy. Personally I'd avoid France altogether at half term and go to Italy.
latest report
After all the researching and advice I ended up booking Morillon 1100 Les Esserts. Never been before, hardly goes with the title of 'unknown resorts' but from what I can tell very convenient from the point of view of getting on the slope/lift/ski school. Also by looking at the piste map, varied enough skiing for all abilities and gentle enough runs into resort from the top for the little ones. Any local tips welcome!

One question I have, my first time skiing at the age of six (1983) was in Flaine. Im keen to revisit but if I buy a 6 day massif pass, can I 'top up' for a day to the grand massif pass?

Many thanks!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy