Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

UK ski website traffic - the status quo

Poster: A snowHead
Here's some data extracted from a site called Traffic Estimate this morning. It's obviously a crude analysis, and if anyone has any suggestions for other rankings or methods that would be interesting, but it gives a clue to how various sites are doing.

NB the important Telegraph magazine/show/media doesn't appear here. They appear not to function from a single identifiable site ... though there is www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/ski/telegraph-ski-and-snowboard-magazine and www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/ski/ and http://telegraphevents.co.uk/consumer-events/the-telegraph-ski-and-snowboard-show-london

Source of data and definitions: www.trafficestimate.com

VISITS OVER THE PAST 30 DAYS

j2ski.com: 227,600
snowheads.com: 101,400
skiclub.co.uk: 48,600
welove2ski.com: 27,700
natives.co.uk: 26,200
planetski.eu: 14,100
inthsnow.com: 10,900
winterhighland.info: 10,300
ifyouski.com: "not enough data"
wheretoskiandsnowboard.com: "not enough data"
fall-line.co.uk: "not enough data"
snowindustrynews.com: "not enough data"
Snivel.com: "not enough data"
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
snowheads is down by about 1000 a day, Thats what we get for limiting you.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
What is J2ski? Interest piqued I went for another look. Seems just to be a screenscraper of resort weather data and resort info. No more interesting than when I last looked at it. So another unique visitor but the stickiness of a poundland plaster.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hmm. Out of sheer curiosity I popped a model aircraft association site that is written for a niche audience into TE - and I didn't expect it to have enough data. But what I got was that the 'page no longer exists'. It very much does - so it looks like the there is something wrong about the way Traffic Estimate works. The figures for snowheads and the Ski Club look credible, but I am a bit surprised by the J2ski figures.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
http://www.statusquo.co.uk/ is surprisingly quiet Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

a bit surprised by the J2ski figures

I'd not be surprised if their figures are a bit higher because of their followers on Facebook clicking through to features - they have 2,200 followers there.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
J2skis's a site I visit exactly once per year to update the resorts for which I'd like a weekly email about where will be good for snow at the weekend. Except it now typically comes on a Thursday evening, and I need my bags packed, car loaded, and ideally a hotel already booked by Thursday night, if going skiing straight from work on Friday. So subtract 1 for the Sept or Oct figures.

There are better traffic estimators. Some do a scarily interesting job at guesstimating demographic too.

Of those in the list, Id have guessed at least one lower down the list also gathers its click thru figures from facebook clickbait.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I think the key thing to note is that the stats are from a site called Traffic Estimate and 'estimate' is probably the key word here. It's hard to imagine how they can get a sample of data representative enough to extrapolate figures without a huge margin of error.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'm not sure I see the point in researching traffic estimates for snowsport websites during the summer months anyway.

Still, I suppose Davina has to get her attention fix somehow.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Not her best work, only 9 replies.

Goes to show how much she padded up her posts.

Fancy ski sites being so quiet with all this amazing snow.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Claude B wrote:

Maybe it will pick up a bit, Rick's going to have to find something to do with his downtime........
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Richard_Sideways wrote:
Quote:

a bit surprised by the J2ski figures

I'd not be surprised if their figures are a bit higher because of their followers on Facebook clicking through to features - they have 2,200 followers there.

Rather doubt that would have much effect tbh - 2k Facebook fans isn't very much really, and given FB's feed algorithms I doubt more than 10% of the followers actually see their posts. They have so much content up I suspect it's more search traffic. Their Alexa ranking is also a lot better than I would have expected...
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rogg wrote:
Claude B wrote:

Maybe it will pick up a bit, Rick's going to have to find something to do with his downtime........

I just hope he gets better
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Web traffic stats are poor unless you do it. In a very sophisticated way.

For example, my company with 15 elope on the internet full time looked at what an analytics company could do for our sales focus. It turned out all the data was skewed because ALL our staff have the company as their home page on the computer. So 15 people x 30 browser refreshes x 5 page accesses on average = 2,250/day and approximately 45,000 per month down to our staff only.

PS, think about how you can class as normal. It is the summer and ski sites are slow at this time.
One way to increase traffic massively on snowheads would be to start threads with these key phrases in the title.

"Brexit is good"
"I love corbyn"
"Scotland is in financial ruin"

Very Happy
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
GlasgowCyclops wrote:

For example, my company with 15 elope on the internet full time looked at what an analytics company could do for our sales focus. It turned out all the data was skewed because ALL our staff have the company as their home page on the computer. So 15 people x 30 browser refreshes x 5 page accesses on average = 2,250/day and approximately 45,000 per month down to our staff only.

A very good point and I think the site David posted uses a browser add on to estimate traffic. For the long tail one or two users with this toolbar can make a big difference to traffic estimates.

Still there is no doubt that j2ski gets a lot of traffic. There is a forum in there somewhere.

Some data from Alexa:

How engaged are visitors to j2ski.com?
Bounce Rate
68.40%
Daily Pageviews per Visitor
Daily Time on Site
1:48

How engaged are visitors to snowheads.com?
Bounce Rate
46.00%
Daily Pageviews per Visitor
Daily Time on Site
9:19

http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/snowheads.com

So (as was said above) snowheads are more engaged on the site, normal, it is a forum. I suspect that j2ski have probably overdone it on the SEO and people find the site in search results, take a look and immediately back out. That said a lot of snowheads visitors are coming from google as the result of a web search, and most people seem to be posting from work Happy (I'm billing this post as "research" on my timesheet)
snow report
Here's an update to the tablet, thanks to some helpful suggestions:

Snow-forecast, Snow+Rock, Ellis Brigham, Crystal Ski and Inghams have been added ... and Snow-forecast heads the list, by a big margin ... even in high summer ...

snow-forecast.com: 343,000
ellis-brigham.com: 160,700
snowandrock.com: 150.500
crystalski.co.uk: 102,800
inghams.co.uk: 98,700
Snivel.com: "not enough data"
snow conditions
GlasgowCyclops wrote:

PS, think about how you can class as normal. It is the summer and ski sites are slow at this time.
One way to increase traffic massively on snowheads would be to start threads with these key phrases in the title.

"Brexit is good"
"I love corbyn"

Very Happy

If you log the IP addresses of your staff then the numbers can be calculated nett of those.
snow conditions
Claude B wrote:
yes that site never changes
snow report
downhillalltheway wrote:
GlasgowCyclops wrote:

"Brexit is good"
"I love corbyn"

Very Happy

If you log the IP addresses of your staff then the numbers can be calculated nett of those.

That is why I said you had to do it in a sophisticated way. Happy
snow conditions
I decided to throw in a 'wild card' - an online ski kit retailer in Hemel Hempstead which has been attracting some attention.
The 'top ten' now reads ...

absolute-snow.co.uk: 126,500

Any other suggestions for worthy contenders gratefully received !
ski holidays
The slump in ski traffic is not good for the UK and European industry.

Some 5 of those top 7 websites are shrinking.
snow conditions
Davina Goldballs wrote:
I decided to throw in a 'wild card' - an online ski kit retailer in Hemel Hempstead which has been attracting some attention.

Are you willing to pay for analytics?
ski holidays
GlasgowCyclops wrote:

Are you willing to pay for analytics?

Yes, of course !

Rupert Murdoch wrote:

Are you willing to pay for journalism?

That quote's invented, but he'd buy (and sell) it.

Sir James Goldsmith (no relation) wrote:

If you pay peanuts, you get monkeys.

http://cardinalpointva.typepad.com/inside_out/2007/04/if_you_pay_pean.html

That last quote needs a lot of qualifying ... as anyone who's worked in the voluntary sector will testify. Some of the best people in this country are paid nothing, and naturally expect very high standards in return.
snow report
Like a few have alluded to ski sites do not tend to perform their best in the summer months, what a surprise rolling eyes

I've just spent the last six weeks on a gradual site redesign for my OH's site and she's spent that time reorganising features / articles and the like, but we know from analytics year on year when the traffic starts to pick up and it's not till the beginning of December, but then it's not a resort focused site more features led. StyleAltitude

According to Site Estimate a Weather Blog site I run for wind and kitesurfers received an estimated 4,900 visits (so at least there was enough data) and here's the analytics for the same period so it's actually estimating more visits. And my traffic is very much affected by how windy it is.

Analytics has a great tool where you can see how many active users are on the site at any one time - so for instance at the weekend if it's windy there can be upwards of 50 people on the site trying to work out if it's worth making a trip to the beach

Sessions
-8.51%
17,844 vs 19,503

Users
-4.67%
4,148 vs 4,351

Pageviews
12.55%
121,729 vs 108,154

Pages / Session
23.02%
6.82 vs 5.55

% New Sessions
2.87%
17.14% vs 16.66%
ski holidays
Two 'ski travel agent' sites to add to the list: igluski.com and skisolutions.com.
'Top twenty' now reads ...

snowandrock.com: 150,500
igluski.com: 62,200 [was 81,600 when checked yesterday*]
skisolutions.com: 21,900
snowvole.com: "not enough data"

* Can anyone explain that?
latest report
How can it be the top twenty when 5 sites do not have enough data, plus you've also missed off https://whitelines.com

Great journalism doing this in September rolling eyes
ski holidays
But it's not a bad time of year to build a list of sites - that could then be monitored periodically over the whole season. Trends could be interesting, even if absolute levels are distorted by employees etc.

Some sizeable TOs missing: Skiworld, Thomsonski, SkiFrance, Neilson, MarkWarner, ... - although for the last two it may be difficult to identify just the ski offerings.
snow conditions
Interesting to see the differences between snowHead and J2Ski. J2Ski has a forum but it's on a lot smaller scale than snowHead and I would have thought that forum traffic would be a lot lower on J2Ski. I think that Davidof's analysis may well be correct
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Davina Goldballs wrote:

because you are on the long tail of data collection; small things have big effects.
snow report
Davina Goldballs wrote:

What davidof said... or to put it in journalistic terms; "your source is a bit poo-poo".

Alexa's almost certainly a better source of "competitive intelligence", unless you have very deep pockets, as they're owned by Amazon and (so they claim) have data from a huge range of sources (browser and website plugins). TrafficEstimate's numbers probably aren't out of the ballpark for the top handful but they're almost certainly extrapolating from very small samples.

Perhaps Davina 12-GoldBars can compare ranks from both Alexa and TrafficEstimate when she's not hot on the trail of the missing 12.5 million pounds (or was it 125M?) of DPS skis??? Cool

What is interesting is that the "enthusiast" sites (SF, SH and us) are still significantly more popular than sites that loudly claim otherwise. Like inthesnow, whose recent emails seem to claim they're #1 in everything, ever...

Likewise, from those figures, Snowheads has more than twice as much right to represent the UK's recreational skiers as "the other place" that does do that!

p.s. andy - we're aiming to push out our weekly reports first thing on a Thursday from now on; hopefully that's useful for you! snowHead
latest report
Davina Goldballs wrote:

goneboarding and snowboardclub would be interesting Smile
ski holidays
J2Dave wrote:
What is interesting is that the "enthusiast" sites (SF, SH and us) are still significantly more popular than sites that loudly claim otherwise. Like inthesnow, whose recent emails seem to claim they're #1 in everything, ever...
Oh give them their credit dear boy. Inthesnow are a force to be reckoned with in the British ski industry.
Look at their execution of the hostile takeover of the Birmingham ski show with promises of the greatest show ever to grace this land.
Has anyone in recent years done more to make the Telegraph show look better?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy