Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sneaky tactics help required

Poster: A snowHead
I am skiing 9-18th Dec, and then back on the 23rd. I have only just realised that means I will be coming back to work in the UK for 4 days! Seems ridiculous to me lol.

So how do I get those 4 days off? Obviously no annual leave left, boss not stupid, so could be tricky. Need help!!!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Can you anticipate leave from the following leave year?

If it's a small firm, leave without pay?

If your job is one that can be done when others are not necessarily there, work 4 holiday/weekend days in lieu?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It JLR, so a big company and unpaid is an option, however, no one has EVER had it authorised lol

Working from home is also an option, but again, they dont really like people doing it!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
be honest & up front with your manager, does your role ever mean you have to work out of hours/oncall/overtime, if so exchange that for time off. A managers role is to keep good staff happy & productive while weeding out the rest, if you are one of the former I cant see an issue.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Jonny996, You are of course correct. I am a stronger member of the team, so perhaps I should just ask!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Yep I would go with the honest approach. I have much more respect for people being upfront about things and it makes the discussion much easier as you are not trying to hide anything. Offer to keep an eye on emails while you are away.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Work late crunch a lot of work ahead of time in early December. Be available for calls in your 4 days but Wfh and put a few hours in each night. Might be a bit frustrating on a pow morning if you need to do an hour's email before you go out but cest la vie.

Reality. is that not many projects ever move forward between prebXmas and ny as too many players are out of play or pissed or nursing hangovers.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@chrisrawles, Oh I am happy to properly work from my apt, not just check mails (not have own broadband so connectivity is good). I am even happy not to ski those days, I am just trying to avoid the travel back and then back to France again!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Can you honestly cite some family/childcare issues? If so, putting the stress of dragging the family back for 4 days up front, before stressing that you can work extra time pre-departure; as well as at the appt on the 4 days might hold some sway. Can you offer an 'on-call' service on one day, so as to release another colleague on that day. Go to colleagues and try to do a number of direct duty swaps- ie GIVE the boss the solution so he/she only has to be a good guy and say yes!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Philip1972,
Quote:

It JLR, so a big company

Offer 4+ days test driving a JLR 4WD in varied conditions, including mountains, over a 3 week period?
Seriously though...have an answer ready for any concerns boss may have about setting precedents and being seen to be fair to everyone. Hope you get good early season snow!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Wait and see how September registrations go, no point getting yourself to the front of the redundancy list by drawing attention to your self.

HR director might not have two ski holidays booked in December himself.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
You just need a viable excuse for not getting back to the UK.
"The electrics failed on my Discovery, and left me stranded in France. 4 weeks for a new part"..would suffice. Entirely believable. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Not being high and mighty here, but why lie? Be honest and commit to working from whatever location you will be in, state the reasons and be clear as to the benefits (eg you will be able to start early and give more effort as a benefit of working remotely rather than turning up tired for a couple of days and leaving early to get the flights.) If your honest most sensible and reasonable line managers would agree.

Caveat - not all line managers are sensible. Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
This is indeed a dilemma.
The choice between skiing and enjoying oneself, or working.
If for instance you are honest and non stupid boss says "no",
you are stuffed.
Not returning for work will be open defiance,
and you will enter into a period of conflict.
Only you know all of your work circumstances and any advice re work
will not be of use as it will not be informed advice.
How much do you want it versus how much bother you will get into.
I believe if you put your mind to it will get done.
Machiavelli techniques required.
Do not listen to all the goody two shoes
The excuse /reason must be convincing.
For example, ear infection and banned from flying, ski crash resulting in tinnitus again no flying.
Also stay off work for another month, defo must be serious and not just four day skive.
Your behaviour prior to the cunning plan is as important as your behaviour after.
Also do not use any of the ideas hatched on here, as can be found and produced as evidence of skulduggery.
Remember there is only one rule "Do not get caught"
Or "better to ask forgiveness than permission"
The rest is up to you my son.
Are you a ski god force of nature, or a simpering wimp.
A liver of life or corporate stooge.
Do you want to be admired or despised as pathetic.
You know what is required
ps
must go and get dishes done before boss gets in.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Not quite sure how this situation could seemingly arise inadvertently Puzzled

Surely at any point we all know:
- How much leave we have left.
- How much leave is required for any planned trip.

It seems even more incredible that a trip could be booked with absolutely no leave left.... rolling eyes

Under the circumstances I can't see the problem with going back to work for 4 days - it's only one day short of going back for a normal 5 day working week wink
snow report
Hmm, not seen any marketing of an F Pace in the mountains yet ...... Obviously theres a need Very Happy
snow report
@clavboy, You are of course correct lol, drastic lies are required!!!

@mountainaddict, I knew how much leave etc and have not gone over that amount. It just wasnt until I actually looked at a calendar that I realised I had only 4 days at work in between ha ha.

@boredsurfin, Very, VERY good point!!!!
latest report
Ask for the time off unpaid as a one-off. If they say no, unfortunately its back to work for 4 days and note to self to pay more attention in the future when making bookings.
snow report
@Philip1972,

'I am stuck in France owing to lightning strikes by bus drivers/baggage staff/flight controllers/everyone'
'I have (insert infectious disease) and am confined by French medics to my accommodation and the immediate slopey area'
'Large rocks have fallen on the railway and all services have been cancelled - it's chaos' (this of course was true in Isere last year)
'I have diagnosed as being temporarily insane'
'What do you mean it's Friday????!?...God you can lose all sense of time in the mountains...'
'My cat died'
'France has declared war on England' (true in 1337 - news travels slowly in the Alps)

Seriously, just ask to have four days carried over from the next leave year.

And I have actually done exactly what you are committed to - out, four days back, out again - and will do this again in Feb - 4 days on the hill with the boys, a lecture in Exeter, 2 days at work, and then back to Crans Montana at 2pm on Friday for half term with the whole family. Actually quite nice.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Tue 13-09-16 22:48; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
boredsurfin wrote:
Hmm, not seen any marketing of an F Pace in the mountains yet ...... Obviously theres a need Very Happy

Massive wheels and low profile means Moutiers is final destination.
ski holidays
@Norrin Radd, Shirley not, it's got a button with a snowflake on it - so it must be good off piste snowHead
snow conditions
Norrin Radd wrote:
boredsurfin wrote:

Massive wheels and low profile means Moutiers is final destination.

You haven't thrown enough money at the problem.
ski holidays
A couple of points. Don't set yourself up for getting sacked form a brand like JLR - it will make your life harder afterwards!

Second. It's a holiday FFS! How far and in what sort of time scale do you/your colleagues travel for business? I can't see the issue in travelling 1000 miles on one day then again four days later. Many of us do that back to back.

Man up. Realise you are on to a great thing, with a very well respected automotive engineering brand and be responsible.
latest report
Strax wrote:
You just need a viable excuse for not getting back to the UK.
"The electrics failed on my Discovery, and left me stranded in France. 4 weeks for a new part"..would suffice. Entirely believable. Toofy Grin

IME almost a certainty!
ski holidays
Might I humbly point out that unless Philip1972 is a nom de plume, ie you are not called Philip and born in 1972, that posting on a public forum about possibly skiving for a week, naming your employer and some other details that make you quite identifiable to the right person might not be the most sneaky of tactics...
snow report
Wrekingirl wrote:
Might I humbly point out that unless Philip1972 is a nom de plume, ie you are not called Philip and born in 1972, that posting on a public forum about possibly skiving for a week, naming your employer and some other details that make you quite identifiable to the right person might not be the most sneaky of tactics...

Brilliant! I laughed! Laughing

I would say go down the honesty route, and request unpaid leave. Surely, the cost of travel back and forth would off-set the lost wages. (Unless you are on a mint)
snow report
@Philip1972, very simple really:
- ask for unpaid leave
- ask for an advance on the next year's leave
- suck up the travel
- self-certificate for flu or norovirus

The first three will give you peace of mind.
ski holidays
Well thanks for all your answers, especially the funny ones!

I have just received an e mail from my manager to say I can have the 4 days off unpaid, no problem. Very Happy

I think it helped the fact he is leaving and doesnt really care that I wont be there as its the new managers problem.

Still, 4 weeks skiing cant be bad.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy