Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Car rental website

Poster: A snowHead
Is there a web site that most snow heads use to get the best price from Geneva airport? thanks.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I use auto-europe to check the prices and then from there go direct to the relevant companies, otherwise you end up with an intermediary in your booking and potential extra fees for the steering wheel, seats and engine Very Happy

That said, I end up Hertz 50%, Avis/Budget 45%, other big chains 5%. I don't rent from non-international chains.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Like what @snowdave, said. I use rentalcars dot com to compare prices then book direct with one of the majors. Less argy bargy at the pickup desk. Also if you fly Easy then the majority of passengers have hired via the airline website with Europcar and that will be the one with the long queue when you get there Sad
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have booked through rentalcars dot com directly with no probs, but I tend to do what @BergenBergen says.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I would also recommend signing up for the rental car companies rewards programmes - Hertz No 1 Club Gold, Avis Preferred etc. Can save you a huge amount of time in ski airports on a busy Saturday. Flash your card, credit card and driving licence and you are away.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
+1 for AutoEurope. I don't use them for Geneva, but friends do and I have used them in other parts of Europe.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thread steal for a moment...

Confused about Geneva. WHICH side shoud a UK renter, flying into GVA get the car from. Thanks.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Now there is a can of worms!!!!, I normally go Swiss but there has been some confusion of late about taking none EU cars into the EU.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Charliegolf, Answer not as easy as you'd think, but generally the Swiss side.
Assuming winter skiing, then Swiss side cars have snow tyres, chains and swiss motorway permits usually at no extra cost.
In contrast, French side is a slightly longer/more complex drive, usually on summer or all-weather tyres, and often extra fee for chains.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks for that both.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I use http://www.arguscarhire.com and never had a problem. Just look at the hire prices at both the French and Swiss sides and choose the least expensive. Usually the French side is about 30% less, but not always. I almost allways end up on the French side.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Charliegolf, New EU regulations say it is illegal for an EU citizen (you) to take a non-EU car (rental from Swiss side) into an EU country (France). Some rental companies are refusing to honour bookings & directing you to French side. Others seem to be turning a blind eye. Swiss cars have winter tyres & Swiss motorway vignette as standard, French don't.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Matt1959, my late July datapoint was that this was a non issue at Geneva now. Are there any more recent updates?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I traveled last week with Europcar. They gave me a form to sign which acknowledged that I understood that, in theory, there could be a problem. He gave me a number to ring if I encountered any difficulty. However, he said that to his best knowledge no one was being stopped, and that certainly no one in a Europcar rental had ever been stopped. When I mentioned that I owned a residence in France he said that that almost certainly ruled out any problem. I was happy with this position, and I personally would not have any qualms renting from the Swiss side.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@snowdave, I'm renting from Europcar French side in a few weeks and have booked with Hertz Swiss side at Christmas. Hertz assure me that there are no problems. Will post again after those trips if i find out more. I also own a French property so may be able to use the 'going to my residence' clause.
snow conditions
Matt1959 wrote:
@Charliegolf, New EU regulations say it is illegal for an EU citizen (you) to take a non-EU car (rental from Swiss side) into an EU country (France)...

Interesting...
To add into the mix.
Last week we hired from Milan Linate via Hertz (direct) and were surprised to be given a Swiss plated Golf.
We had told them that we were not intending to leave Italy during the week.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy