Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Late Easter 2017 - where might the season run longer?

Poster: A snowHead
My wife and I are both school teachers and don't break up for Easter until the actual weekend of Easter (13th April) - it seems that the season finishes around the 17th April hence I can't seem to find any tour operators offering anything beyond the 17th April - Any suggestions/solutions about where the season may run longer (we were looking at returning to Flaine) or will we have to accept that it's a February half term booking for our family skiing break?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Tignes, Val Thorens - and no doubt others. Forget Flaine.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Obergurgl, Sölden, Ischgl
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Tignes still had great conditions when I (reluctantly!) left in mid April this year.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Bormio will close on the 25th April.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hintertux.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Serre Chevalier is closing on 23rd.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hi @teadah,

We have availability for those dates in our chalets in La Plagne - details via the link below.

Happy planning!
Heather
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Åre in Sweden stays open till 1st of May most years
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Also, think about heading over to Mammoth in California. You can ski until Independence Day! We have been their twice when the Easter is late (like 2017) and we experienced metre high fresh powder on both occasions.

You can also combine this with a two centre break and spend the second week on the beach.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Drive north. The last 5 years or so has seen some of the best late skiing at Glencoe Little Angel

http://www.winterhighland.info/publicreports/index.php?50,4321
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
St Anton has End of season: 23.4.17 (from 18.4.17 limited operation);
Warth / Schröcken / Klösterle-Sonnenkopf: 17.4.17

You can quite easily DIY over Easter, not as busy and probably safer to wait and see what the snow is like in various countries/resorts before booking.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@teadah, The season usually lasts until the last weekend in April in the big French resorts with some staying open until the Mayday weekend. WHat you have noticed, however, is that most of the UK tour operators stop before the season ends. Many years ago I heard that this was because they wnated their chartered aircraft for the beach trade.

If you plan to go after Easter remember the factor 50 sun protection
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Val Thorens and Tignes are really the only two proper Alpine resorts that you can almost 100% count on to have plenty of snow and plenty of trails still open in the second half of April.

All the others are too small, close early, or are too low.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@teadah,
Tignes still had good conditions when I left on May 2nd this year. Enough snow cover on piste to get right down to Les Boisses. Good snow down as far as Tignes 2100 (Le Lac).
latest report
@intermediate, +1. But you may have to book direct with a hotel which will not be a problem, likewise the transfer from the airport will be a rental of private transfer, or just drive its easy at that time of the year.
snow conditions
Whitegold wrote:
Val Thorens and Tignes are really the only two proper Alpine resorts that you can almost 100% count on to have plenty of snow and plenty of trails still open in the second half of April.

All the others are too small, close early, or are too low.

Zermatt has a huge amount of high altitude skiing and stays open until march.
latest report
Quote:

stays open until march.

Puzzled
ski holidays
Thanks to everyone who has responded, really helpful and I don't feel so anxious now!
snow report
@chocksaway, I know one TO offering Geneva transfers to the end of the Tignes season, as well as inclusive catered accomm with full area lift pass. A great recommendation by a couple of snowHeads
I stayed with them, though extended my break at a Val C hotel, having flown to Lyon and rented a car instead.
latest report
intermediate wrote:
@chocksaway, I know one TO offering Geneva transfers to the end of the Tignes season, as well as inclusive catered accomm with full area lift pass. A great recommendation by a couple of snowHeads
I stayed with them, though extended my break at a Val C hotel, having flown to Lyon and rented a car instead.

Name them please. The company, not the snowheads Smile
latest report
Argentiere is open until early May, and frequently has the resort run (to 1250m) open until the end of April. However, depending on what you're after, it might not be the ideal family resort!
ski holidays
@mikeycharlton, Mountainsun Very Happy
snow conditions
Resorts in Scandinavia will be open - Ruka in Finland closes 17th May, Åre will probably be open (depends on snow) otherwise head further north to Kittlefjall, Borgafjall, Hemmavan etc (Nextjet from Stockholm), or even further north to Riksgransen. Geilo in Norway https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2009/feb/15/bergen-norway-skiing
snow conditions
Don't forget, if you choose to go to Val Thorens from the Easter weekend, you'll probably bump into a load of Snowheads on the EOSB!

When I went on it, the conditions were excellent.
snow report
Yep I have stayed at the MountainSun accomodation end of April and skied down to their chalet in Les Boisses.
Tignes and Val D were still humming!
http://mountainsunltd.com/skichalets/chalet-hotel-les-melezes/
MountainSun do great packages. Not luxury but....
Les Boisses is not the most convenient part of Tignes and lower than Le Lac. I was doing a course with Snoworksand most folk were staying in the (more expensive) Mark Warner chalets.
ski holidays
teadah wrote:
My wife and I are both school teachers and don't break up for Easter until the actual weekend of Easter (13th April) - it seems that the season finishes around the 17th April hence I can't seem to find any tour operators offering anything beyond the 17th April - Any suggestions/solutions about where the season may run longer (we were looking at returning to Flaine) or will we have to accept that it's a February half term booking for our family skiing break?

Really ? You're rather unlucky as my wife works for Surrey Education and she breaks up for Easter on 31 March and goes back on 18 April
snow report
We go right up until Thursday before Good Friday - not great for getting skiing booked!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Is admin committing to some family appts for the EOSB?
snow report
@johnE, historically the peceived wisdom was that the big TOs only did ski holidays because they had aircraft fleets lying around otherwise unused.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy