Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Megeve Snow Reliability?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi

A friend and I are planning a skiing trip for February next year, and my friend is very keen on Megeve. Any time we've gone in the past, we've always gone to high altitude places which are reasonably snow-sure, but I have concerns about Megeve (mostly because of the Telegraph I think). In early February, is lack of snow likely to be a problem at the lower altitudes? I think this might be something I'm over-thinking. I'd just hate to spend a week sitting around looking up at water-logged runs. Any thoughts?

Thanks
AR
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome to Snowheads, @arousedrake snowHead

Going to Megeve in February I'd be more worried about the inevitable crowds of the French school holidays, which start on the 4th and go on for four weeks.

As you know there are no guarantees, but in February there should be plenty of skiing in Megeve, and it's a lovely area. There might, or might not, be a lot of snow hanging round down in the village itself.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Take your platinum card.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for the quick reply @pam w! The forum seems great!

Is Megeve particularly hard hit by the French holidays? Or is skiing in France in February a fight for space across the board? I've only ever been in late January and March.

And @Norrin Radd, it seems to me every time I go skiing I could do with a platinum card... Not exactly the cheapest of past times. Fun though Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

Is Megeve particularly hard hit by the French holidays?

Yes, because so many of its clientele are French.
Why is your friend so keen on Megeve?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
We've always gone to higher places, and Megeve is supposedly a beautiful town with tree-lined runs. The accommodation seems plentiful (looking on Airbnb), and it's close to Geneva which makes transfers easier too. Part of it is just to go somewhere different I suppose really.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@arousedrake, it is more expensive than most resorts. Nice though.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Megeve is supposedly a beautiful town

The central part of Megeve is nice (traffic free) and there are some areas of extraordinarily plush chalets. The outskirts (which I drive through frequently) are of no particular merit.

There are loads of resorts with tree-lined runs.

And yes, it is certainly expensive - the centre has lots of those shops with no prices because if you have to ask you can't afford it.

And it sprawls. Not all the accommodation on AirBnB is going to be convenient for lifts.

Don't want to put you off - out of French holiday time it can be most pleasant! And it has one of the bigger collection of Michelin starred restaurants outside Paris. And lots of fur coats and little dogs. wink
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Make sure you visit Les Contamines if you are in Megeve.

Usually has better snow and is less crowded. Less expensive to eat on the mountain too.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The AirBnB we're looking at seems to be a few minutes walk from the Chamois lift, which seems fine I think to access a good chunk of the slopes. We tend to eat in a lot, which should hopefully cut down on costs assuming we can find a cheapish supermarket. Certainly cheaper than the Michelin restaurants anyway...

@TQA - Is it easy to get to Les Contamines without a car?

Thanks for the input everyone, it really is very much appreciated!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
+1 for les Contamines
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Would you recommend going a week earlier to avoid the school holidays? How big a difference will it make? (sorry for all the noobish questions...)
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I would certainly try and avoid the school holidays. We go home for those four weeks.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Would you recommend going a week earlier to avoid the school holidays?

Yes - be gone by 4 February.

I don't think it's easy to get from Megeve to Les C without a car. But if you want an easier outing, go in the other direction to Praz sur Arly. Just a few miles - if there's no bus, a taxi would be pretty cheap. Once you're in Praz sur Arly you have 185 kms of linked pistes in the Espace Diamant.

Like @Pamski, I go home for the French holidays, leaving my season lift pass in my empty apartment... wink
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@arousedrake, you could also go after the 4 week holiday period finishes. Early March is a great time to go skiing.
snow conditions
@arousedrake, if you can go the first week of February (i.e. leaving on the 4th/5th) or arrive on the 4th/5th March it would be quieter for sure but actually the first and last weeks of the holiday are not that bad at all (so arrival on w/e commencing 4th or 25th February).
latest report
Some French weeks are worse than others, for sure, but there's no good reason to go in holiday time if you can avoid it. The holidays are geographically organised so the "busiest weeks" are not the same in all resorts, but generally the Paris weeks are reckoned to be the worst in the northern alps.
latest report
AFAIK There is no easy access bus between Megeve and Les Contamines.

WE always drove down as there was a bunch of us with a campervan and one of the bunch had access to an apartment in Megeve. Hence we would drive to the car park in Les Contamines and use the free navette that ran around inside the town and out to Montjoie to get to the lifts.

It is about 20 k so a taxi should not be out of the question shared 4 ways.
latest report
I may be wrong but I don't see it being an issue to get from Megeve and Les Contamines without a car. Would you not just lift it to top of Megeve, ski down to Bettix on other side then lift it down to StG, from there you can get shuttle bus to Les C.
latest report
@arousedrake,
+1 for @pam w, suggestions that avoiding French holidays and that early to mid March is usually a great time to ski, if that's an option for you. March often has best conditions of the season in my experience. I've taken the risk and booked ahead there for March 2017.
Megeve centre is an attractive old town but can be expensive. A small number of TOs offer decent value for chalet board, making overall costs more predictable. Depends what type of accommodation you prefer
ski holidays
@Jonny996, I wonder if that would take rather a long time - given the need for a return journey. Would it leave much time for skiing in Les Contamines?

There's plenty of skiing in Megeve/St Gervais/Combloux
snow report
I've skied the area quite a lot, mainly from Bettex.
I wouldn't worry about snow in February. December or late March? More of a risk - I'd go somewhere else if I had to book now.

It's not easy to get from Megeve to Les Contamines for a day without a car. @Jonny996's idea sounds nice in theory but in practice I wouldn't call the bus from St G to Les Contamines a shuttle - it's rather infrequent. As @pam w says, it wouldnt leave much time for skiing in Les C. Best option would be to fill a cab.

I'd consider the option of staying in St Gervais - not as chic as Megeve but a very nice town and much cheaper. You could mainly ski Bettex / Megeve but easily get up to Les Contamines. Top tip from Megeve is to eat lunch over on the Bettex/St G side of the mountain - MUCH cheaper.
snow conditions
StG side has the Folie Douce as well
ski holidays
arousedrake wrote:
Hi

A friend and I are planning a skiing trip for February next year, and my friend is very keen on Megeve. Any time we've gone in the past, we've always gone to high altitude places which are reasonably snow-sure, but I have concerns about Megeve (mostly because of the Telegraph I think). In early February, is lack of snow likely to be a problem at the lower altitudes? I think this might be something I'm over-thinking. I'd just hate to spend a week sitting around looking up at water-logged runs. Any thoughts?

Thanks
AR

Just on the snow conditions front if a resort isn't snowsure in early February then it's not a ski resort. I would go anywhere in early Feb if I could. You are right to go somewhere with trees though.
ski holidays
Quote:

StG side has the Folie Douce as wel

you can ski down either side from Folie Douce - it's on the ridge
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy