Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing from Brussels

Poster: A snowHead
It looks like I'll be spending most of next year based in Brussels for work. One of my early thoughts about this was: is there any skiing nearby? Can anyone help? I'll be based in the centre of Brussels and I'm hoping I can find a place or two to ski just at weekends (and accessible by train preferably). I'll use the Thalys Snow for longer trips but they only seem to run on Saturdays.

Any advice much appreciated.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'd forget the train and hop on the countless flights out of Brussels to Geneva or Innsbruck.

Belgium isn't much better than the UK as far as getting to the slopes apart from the huge number of favourable flight destinations!
Mittenwald is about 6 hours away driving, but trains to the alps can be 10+ hours...

(I hope someone has a better answer for you!)
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
There are some indoor skiing place:
http://www.skiresort.info/ski-resorts/europe/belgium/

If there is a cold winter the Ardenes have a bit of skiing.

www.skiresort.info/ski-resorts/europe/belgium/ardennes/

May be better to take a plane? Innsbruck?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Could probably get to the Vosges in about 5 hours.
Still be quicker to hop on to a late flight to Geneva or Innsbruck.
There are of course a couple of large indoor ski slopes in Netherlands and Germany that might be slightly closer.
Or Winterberg in Germany (Cologne by train is easy, then you need to drive North East. edit: or there's an hourly train service to/from Dortmund).
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
andy wrote:
There are of course a couple of large indoor ski slopes in Netherlands and Germany that might be slightly closer.

One in Belgium too.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I would have thought Thalys to Paris and TGV to Bourg St Maurice would not be unreasonable time wise.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
headtothehill wrote:
It looks like I'll be spending most of next year based in Brussels for work. One of my early thoughts about this was: is there any skiing nearby? Can anyone help? I'll be based in the centre of Brussels and I'm hoping I can find a place or two to ski just at weekends (and accessible by train preferably). I'll use the Thalys Snow for longer trips but they only seem to run on Saturdays.

Any advice much appreciated.

Weekend - snowworld.nl only 150 km from Bxl centre to Laandgraaf.

Thallys snow is Sat-Sat only, 6 hours one way. Alternatively fly to Geneva (1h transfer from airport to nearby resorts) or Millan (2-3 h transfer)
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'm based in Luxembourg and used to live in Brussels. The pure two day weekend is tricky, but from Luxembourg, Engelberg (CH) is one of the nearest at a 4,5 hour drive plus 2 hours for Brussels. Chamonix remains a reasonable travel time at around 6 hours plus 2 hours.

The Ardennes is very hit and miss (more "miss" to be honest), but in the Vosges - Gerardmer or La Bresse is a reasonable option at 1,5hours from Luxembourg - there is decent warm-up skiing to be had when there is a cold winter; plus there are accommodation options.

Jura is a possibility, but in my opinion once you have made the effort to get there, may as well head on to the Alps proper...

Hope this helps.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@headtothehill, Eurowings have a Friday evening departure from Brussels to Salzburg, from where you have a number of good resorts within an hour or so, ideal for a weekend trip. The flight itself is 95 mins. The Sunday return flight is unfortunately in the morning, but if you can take Monday off, the Monday return flight is in the evening, so you'd get 3 full ski days. January return flights as low as £51.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@headtothehill, Jump in the car, via Frankfurt straight down to Austria, 7 hours. Leave 4pm Friday, ski all day Saturday and Sunday then back home late Sunday evening when lifts close. Or do same into French Alps but traffic heavier and tolls a consideration if going to France maybe.

By the time you've messed about at airports you could be there in the car.

Or if on train then direct train to Bourg St Maurice, or change at Lyon but you'll be trying to travel at late times which isn't ideal. I'd drive (own or thrash a hire car through Germany).
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Wouldn't it be quicker to shot down the autobahns to some of the german resorts.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I bank on about 6 - 6.5 hours door to door from Frankfurt to Innsbruck if I bunk off work at 17:00 on a Friday, by the time one takes into account a pee stop or two. Tend to not ski till the very last lift on the Sunday, but it depends on weather.
From Brussels and Luxembourg (and actually from here too), I'd have suggested Engelberg as the closest proper Alps resort by car. Engelberg and Soll were the 2 I looked at as the 2 closest when I first moved here, but again, half to one hour more journey time gets you to a whole load more places.
By train is a pain (and expensive). Although there is a direct lunchtime train from Frankfurt that gets to Radstadt, Schaldming, etc. by late dinner time.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@headtothehill, I met a gentleman from Brussels at Landgraaf in August. On the chairlift he was telling me that he drives to Landgraaf every weekend for skiing.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks all for the suggestions. I'm not the most confident driver and don't own a car so driving a hire car isn't an attractive option for me. I think jumping on a plane Friday evening and trying to match up a flight home on Monday (@quinton 's suggestion) is my best bet and opens up my resort options.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
For what it is worth ..... I lived in Brussels for 4 years in the 1980s. The longest ski run in the Ardennes was about 1km, and if there was anything like decent snow it was completely mobbed with huge queues for the lift. I found cross-country (langlauf/ski de fond) to be an enjoyable way to spend a Sunday.
snow conditions
@headtothehill, If you need to be in Brussels for Monday morning, there is the option of the train from Salzburg on Sunday nights. Depart Salzburg around 21.00, change in Munich to the overnight sleeper to Köln arriving 06.15. From there, 2 hours to Brussels Midi, arriving 08.42 on Monday morning.
snow report
We used to live in Brussels and driving down to Austria was a doddle. Great roads, good services, well signed and quiet....

There is a Center Parcs with a snowdome on the Belgian/Dutch border about an hour and half away (http://www.centerparcs.com/gb-en/netherlands/fp_KV_holiday-park-de-kempervennen). Good enough for little ones if you have kids....and cheaper that the UK ones.

You can ski in the Ardennes but the friends that have been there have said it is mainly cross country....
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy