Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best Skiing for early to mid December

Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys

I'm wanting to surprise my partner with an early xmas and birthday present - 4-7 days skiing. For a start he snow boards and I ski, we haven't been together before, is it still good to go together, or is it better for larger groups to go and skiers and snow boarders separate? We're probably about at the same level anyway, however i could arrange for a larger group of us to go.
More importantly however we could only go in the first few weeks of December due to work. Which ski resorts would you recommend for the best snow and party life at this time of year?
I have been told Obergurgl is super, however I'm unsure of when the snow will be best here.
Thank you!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Bormio north Italy opens the last weekend of November. The snow cannons will have been going every night since early November.
On piste skiing should be good to very good. Off piste is dependent on the weather gods. Bormio is good for boarders and skiers (not to many flat spots). There is no reason why you should not be able to board and ski together.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Party life that early might be a bit elusive. For good early skiing Tignes is good - and Mountainsun do very good trips to their chalet hotel in Les Brevieres, including transfers from Geneva. But there won't be much open in Tignes in early December. And absolutely zilch in Les Brevieres, I imagine.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.

Sorry, pam w, pic of the car park (I know you can't see the cars, they're buried!) in Les Boisses from our bedroom window at the Mountainsun hotel! Certainly snow in Les Brevieres on 16 Dec 2011 Cool .
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I was referring to the "party life" rather than the pistes. When I did a week in Tignes in early December a lot of establishments were closed - and even when they're open I don't think Tignes is exactly party central. It's a great place for early season skiing (though that particular early December there were a great many pistes closed as early snow hadn't been too generous. I was doing a course with lessons all morning so it didn't matter.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
For the combination of best snow and party life at that time of year I would recommend Ischgl. The majority of skiing is above 2000m. They have some of the most extensive snow making in the Alps. They open at the end of November. The apres ski is some of the best in the Alps.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@maggi, blimey! Reminds me of the time we were unable to ski and had 'that' lunch Wink
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I dont know how old you are but the Rise Festival is on here at Les Deux Alpes 10 - 17 December. It will be very lively in a drunken students sort of way. Early snow is better than most here with glacier skiing up to 3600m.

Some very cheap deals too https://www.festicket.com/fr/packages/rise-festival-2016/
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@jonm, oh, that was so funny! I am literally lol at the thought of it Laughing .
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
After 4 seasons in Tignes, the 3 top villages are pretty much in full swing, especially if 3000 students arrive again from the second week in Dec. That said, I would wait to much closer to the time to see where the snow gods favour this year, booking accom will be no issue until the week before Xmas. You could book your flights (and even a hire car) now at cheaper rates and then follow the snow (if that's the most important part of the hol). Geneva would probably give you the widest choice of resort
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Val Thorens at 2300m is probably the best for snow although it may not be party central. It depends what your priority is.Bear in mind that for the past two years there has been minimal snow below 2000m before the new year. Hopefully it won't be a three in a row. It might be better to wait till late to book as there will be no mad rush on the bookings front and with Brexit, the exchange rate against the £ and the lack of snow over the past two years the bargains will arrive at the start of December.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Obergurgl or Ischgl in Austria will be more or less fully open.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Obergurgl has plenty of snow, but doesn't exactly "rock" with nightlife... from what I remember skiing there in Dec 14 there was just the one "bar" (The Barrel?). Solden is the place for nightlife.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
You won't get nightlife anywhere in early December. Most resorts will be very quiet but that's not to say you won't have a great time. If the snow comes early then you will have the slopes to yourself and fantastic skiing / boarding. Ischgl is always as good as anywhere early, Obertauern also worth a look.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If you really are intending on early December look at staying in Innsbruck City Centre because as stated above at that time the resorts will be very quiet and from the city you will have the choice of a few resorts to get to using free public transport but will have the city life to experience with the Christmas Markets in full flow for your evenings. Snow will be gaurenteed at Stubai and Khutai at that time and probably Axamer Lizum will be fully open too.
snow conditions
Val d'Isere.
Val Thorens.
Tignes.
Ischgl.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy