Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Visas for Brits

Poster: A snowHead
@stanton, Everybody has a opinion, but only time will show.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
stanton wrote:
The UK is going Backwards not Forward.

Is that because we are going faster than the speed of light or going below -273.15 degrees?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
terrygasson wrote:
@Hyst, it would be interesting to find out from anyone on here what it was like to travel into Europe before the EU existed, was it a Bureaucratic nightmare with visas etc?
!

My BILs family were a large hotel,owner in Spain in the 60's and 70's I remember the Franco police( being told not to laugh at the funny hats as a 8. Year old in Mallorca)

Times have changed. Thankfully.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
GlasgowCyclops wrote:
stanton wrote:
The UK is going Backwards not Forward.

Is that because we are going faster than the speed of light or going below -273.15 degrees?

Yes it is a relativity problem. rolling eyes

GDR border police was not that kind either I can tell you.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

, it would be interesting to find out from anyone on here what it was like to travel into Europe before the EU existed, was it a Bureaucratic nightmare with visas etc?

Here you go, British Pathe film of the car ferries in the 60's. http://www.britishpathe.com/video/car-ferry
Alternatively you could put the car on the plane and go from Lydd to Calais or Le Touquet in about 25 minutes
http://youtube.com/v/cijSh47vrlA
much quicker than the tunnel. Toofy Grin
Immigration checks took place on the ferry with everyone having to complete immigration cards and then get them stamped.
Currency controls, only being able to take no more than £50 out of the country. No credit cards.
Duty free purchases on the ferry but only being able to bring back one bottle of spirits or a few (somewhere between 2 and 6 I believe) bottles of wine.
Passports were checked at every border with long queues at peak times.
As far as I remember visas weren't needed as a British passport would get you most places apart from behind the Iron Curtain.

Travelling to the "continent" was a big adventure which not many people did until cheap air travel and the invention of the package holiday.

It took my parents a week to drive to the Alps.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Timc, check all of that save for the last line. When I was a child we had a single overnight stop on the way to the Alps and I still do.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
What are the 60s and 70s ??!! Razz
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I am told we used to have to have an overnight stop in Luxembourg on the way to Berne where my grandfather used to live and work.
A Hillman Imp or Vauxhall Victor couldn't make it all the way in one go without a rest, and motorways didn't exist quite like they do now.

I am jealous that every time my parents went on holiday before I was born was an exotic expedition, and the everywhere my grandfather used to work was equally adventurous (Berlin, Berne,...). Now the only adventurous bit of the journey is passport control in Dover, and wondering if I'm going to be asked yet a frickin again what the purpose of my visit is to my own flippin country. The rest is as exotic and adventurous as crossing the border in to Wales.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@andy, there are some interesting and exotic sights in wales though....... wink
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@andy,
Morris Minor 1000 Traveller couldn't, took the best part of the day to get to Lydd.
In summer having to drive with the heater on to stop the radiator boiling. Fuel pump vapour locking over the Brenner Pass. Hot fractious children ( Me and my brother) squabbling. No air conditioning.
I'd forgotten about the individually typed (with a typewriter) turn by turn route plans that could be bought from the AA.
Changing currency at every border. Changing Pounds to Francs, Francs to Marks, Marks to Schillings, Schillings to Lire, Lire to Francs and finally changing Francs back to Pounds, and then being left with coins of all different countries for a European tour in the 60's
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
lol - even in this day of a single european currency, I still have pots with 4 different currencies in ffs. GBP, CHF, CZK and EUR. Least 2 of those are happy to take EUR.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Timc wrote:
@andy,
Morris Minor 1000 Traveller couldn't, took the best part of the day to get to Lydd.
In summer having to drive with the heater on to stop the radiator boiling. Fuel pump vapour locking over the Brenner Pass. Hot fractious children ( Me and my brother) squabbling. No air conditioning.
I'd forgotten about the individually typed (with a typewriter) turn by turn route plans that could be bought from the AA.
Changing currency at every border. Changing Pounds to Francs, Francs to Marks, Marks to Schillings, Schillings to Lire, Lire to Francs and finally changing Francs back to Pounds, and then being left with coins of all different countries for a European tour in the 60's

Cliff Richard didn't seem to have any of these troubles when he once went on a summer holiday to the continent in the 60's, he even found time to sing a few songs on the way, a certain rule about manning up should maybe have been applied back in the day!!!!! Very Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Gosh, some of those posts bring back memories!

Crossing borders is still a big (and sometimes unpleasant) adventure in most of the world. I think we just experienced what might historically look like a short blip, in being able to drive so freely round the EU.

http://youtube.com/v/vj9Pakd384k
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
andy wrote:
lol - even in this day of a single european currency, I still have pots with 4 different currencies in ffs. GBP, CHF, CZK and EUR. Least 2 of those are happy to take EUR.

I'm dealing with Swedish, Norwegian, and Danish krona, and Euros for Finland. But they are pretty much all cashless societies so I never take out cash when travelling in the Nordics.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@pam w, Remember this one?

http://youtube.com/v/5Y6hVQn-e5Y
ski holidays
Themasterpiece wrote:
andy wrote:

I'm dealing with Swedish, Norwegian, and Danish krona, and Euros for Finland. But they are pretty much all cashless societies so I never take out cash when travelling in the Nordics.

Yeaah ..who uses cash nowadays?

I cannot remember the last time i went to an ATM
snow report
So Backward..

http://youtube.com/v/_akt0TYS7t0
ski holidays
It doesn't affect me too much as I have dual nationality with another EU country. In fact half of me is looking forward to the acrimonious break down of brexit talks and the imposition of controls. Serve the brexiters right.

One of the downsides might also be the reintroduction of limits for booze etc.
ski holidays
Quote:

That is a scary prospect - will never happen though - Calais would go broke overnight Toofy Grin
latest report
Now this thread has come on the right course Madeye-Smiley
snow report
The UK is going Forwards not Backwards
latest report
Quote:

That is a scary prospect - will never happen though

Won't it? If we leave the customs union I imagine the "duty free" allowance for returning from France will be exactly the same as, for instance, returning from Switzerland or Botswana.

It won't be unlimited, that's for sure.
ski holidays
traveling to france ,west germany , belgium ,holland ,sweeden in the 70s prior to joining EU i did not require a visa
latest report
Boris wrote:
Quote:

That is a scary prospect - will never happen though - Calais would go broke overnight Toofy Grin
Don't be so sure. Before Sweden joined the EU and was a member of EFTA you were only allowed to import 1 litre Spirits and about 2 litres wines/beers etc plus 200 cigarettes. These limits still apply in the UK if you are travelling from a non EU/EEA country so it will all depend on the terms negotiated. We will just have to wait and see.
latest report
emwmarine wrote:
It doesn't affect me too much as I have dual nationality with another EU country. In fact half of me is looking forward to the acrimonious break down of brexit talks and the imposition of controls. Serve the brexiters right.

I bet the people of Thanet had not had that thought when they were voting, it seems that the place is awash with cheap booze and fags.
snow report
Quote:

Quote:

That is a scary prospect - will never happen though - Calais would go broke overnight

No more day trips to Calais to stock up on wine, food and beer courtesy of Majestic. Sad
latest report
Yeah but they want control. They'll just have to pay UK tax on them properly.

Hate to think how much Shepherd Neame is exported to Calais and immediately reimported back to Kent as French duty paid. Every drop of local Kentish beer that I've consumed in Kent has been bought from the supermarket in Calais.
snow report
andy wrote:
Hate to think how much Shepherd Neame is exported to Calais and immediately reimported back to Kent as French duty paid. Every drop of local Kentish beer that I've consumed in Kent has been bought from the supermarket in Calais.

From a purely environmental point of view that's a bit silly. Still it's a (Sheherd Neame) drop in the ocean in the grand scheme of things. Laughing
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I thought the days of the Calais booze cruise were largely a thing of the past. I remember everyone doing it, or talking about doing it, a few years ago. UYnless someone is catering for a wedding I barely hear it mentioned these days. Of courses, it's a lot quicker and easier if you live in kent.
ski holidays
andy wrote:
Yeah but they want control. They'll just have to pay UK tax on them properly.

That makes me laugh!!

Wait till they find out having a criminal record means they can't go to Spain on the lads lash up, or Holland to get stoned on Dwaynes stag night.

Margate any body? This is going to be fun.
ski holidays
They'll have to go to Dreamland then.
latest report
@foxtrotzulu, no Calais still stuffed full of tattooed leisure wearing yobos. From Fanet. You would love it, they don't wear belts either, so you have one thing in common
snow report
andy wrote:
They'll have to go to Dreamland then.

Great day out but it's not Magaloof!!!!
snow report
Quote:

Wait till they find out having a criminal record means they can't go to Spain

Most of them with criminal records are probably already out there, and a criminal record is not a significant bar to international travel, depending on the crime and if you are honest and upfront when applying for visa or visa waiver.
snow conditions
Quote:

Of courses, it's a lot quicker and easier if you live in kent.

Used to go all the time. At least once or twice in the summer, and once around October-ish (probably half term) to ensure the wine cellar was stocked for Christmas. And then again in spring with (ironically Wink ) the Daily Express £1 return P+O tickets.
In Kent, our local offy was in Calais (dangerously close to what is now the jungle).
ski holidays
@ansta1, thanks, I don't have first hand knowledge. If they wanted to make it tricky they could specify certain crimes as unacceptable.

Spain might be in its rights to ship back all the dodgy ones.
ski holidays
terrygasson wrote:
@Hyst, it would be interesting to find out from anyone on here what it was like to travel into Europe before the EU existed, was it a Bureaucratic nightmare with visas etc?

No, no problem at all, even pre 1975. My Grandad even lived and worked in Franco's Spain with no issues; something the Bremoaners would have you believe is completely impossible.
ski holidays
@Norrin Radd, US and Canada do and have done for a while, though they've changed the wording on the ESTA now, which gives more latitude.

Crimes of Morale Turpitude used to be the cover all but it's now less ambiguous, but arguably gives more scope for those with records to travel.

Any country can impose restrictions, visa controlled or otherwise as they see fit, who knows what will happen over the coming years in that respect, though i suspect it will be very little due to mutual benefits of (relative) freedom of travel.

That being said, people, politicians and folk can be strange.
latest report
@foxtrotzulu, do a booze cruise every year to stock up for Chrimbo and New Year - judging by how busy it is I'm not the only one!

You can still make huge savings on some things, but not worth it for beer anymore as is as cheap in supermarket.

I am not a tattooed yob Toofy Grin
snow report
Times have changed. Pre 1975 you could smoke on aircraft, take your Swiss Army knife on board and sit the kids on a pile of pillows in the back of the car.

It seems unlikely that the status quo ante 1975 will be back.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy