Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Alps cable cars failure 'traps 100'

Poster: A snowHead
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-37314026

"About 100 people are stuck on a series of cable cars high above the glaciers of Mont Blanc in the French Alps, officials say.

The authorities are planning to bring in helicopters to rescue them.

The cable cars were at "an altitude of about 3,800m (12,468ft)", the prefect of the Haute-Savoie region, Georges-Francois Leclerc, told AFP news agency.

The problem was caused by cables that got crossed for "unknown reasons", the head of the cable company told AFP.

"We are in contact with the clients (in the cable cars). They have water and some means of communication but are beginning to find it's taking a long time," Mathieu Dechavanne said.

Italian and Swiss crews have joined the rescue operation.

The cable cars offer tourists a panoramic view of Mont Blanc."
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Okanagan wrote:

"We are in contact with the clients (in the cable cars). They have water and some means of communication but are beginning to find it's taking a long time," Mathieu Dechavanne said.

They be even more annoyed tomorrow when they are rescued.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
More at:
http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/708709/rescue-cable-car-French-Alps-mountain-broken-down
and
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3780362/100-tourists-trapped-cable-cars-French-Alps-high-winds-cause-mechanical-failure.html
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
60 tourists will have to spend the night in the cable car cabins Shocked http://news.sky.com/story/60-tourists-trapped-for-the-night-in-mont-blanc-cable-cars-10570370

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vall%C3%A9e_Blanche_Cable_Car
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:
those still trapped have been given water, food and survival blankets.

I hate to be indelicate but what goes in must come out. Em, where?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@maggi, exactly what I was thinking. Horrible, horrible, horrible experience.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@maggi, @Hurtle, That's the first thing I thought of too!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I was just having that very conversation with the husband. I mean guys can wee out of the window but it's not so easy for the women. Also #2 doesn't bear thinking about...

What a fun night they'll be having Confused
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
My immediate concern was how cold it's going to get tonight but Mrs A's was the toilet facilities (or lack of them). Either way it's going to be pretty grim up there - if not life threatening.

How on earth did it happen? Why didn't the evacuation procedure cope?

Is this lift still part of Compagnie du Mont Blanc?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Perhaps they should give them some Imodium with the food & water. snowHead
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Even with survival blankets I guess the nighttime temperatures at approx 12000 ft altitude and 1000ft above a glacier will make it feel pretty cold. Not to mention if there's an appreciable wind making the cabins swing..... Skullie
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
altis wrote:
Why didn't the evacuation procedure cope?

There are 36 cabins on a very long bit of string.

The latest report in Le Dauphiné suggests that they are going to be stuck there until Saturday morning due to the weather forecast.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Okay, the thought of being stuck in a glass box with a stranger and their turd is pretty grim. But apart from that so long as they feel safe and can be kept warm enough / fed / watered it's a matter of mindset.
I'm reminded of a TV news story some years ago where a newsreader was interviewing a lady who had been winched out of some precarious situation. He was desperately trying to pursue a story about how terrified she must have been / how traumatic it was etc. etc. But she stuck to her guns saying actually it had been quite exciting as she'd never been in a helicopter before!
Apart from anything else they're going to get a great view of dawn breaking...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It's these summer season amateurs. It wouldn't have happened to skiers....
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Cables uncrossed now. Report and pictures at
http://www.ledauphine.com/haute-savoie/2016/09/08/une-centaine-de-personnes-coincees-dans-une-telecabine-a-plus-de-3000-metres
ski holidays
I was under the impression that Imodium and Valium were the priority supplies Twisted Evil
latest report
It could be a great bonding experience. wink A fascinating scenario for a series of short stories. Each dealing with a group in a different gondola.
snow report
Worse things have happened to this pulse gondola in the past. In 1961 a jet flew into it killing 6.

http://footage.framepool.com/en/shot/121975429-cable-car-accident-zip-line-courmayeur-aid-measure

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vallée_Blanche_Cable_Car Sad
snow conditions
Quote:

I mean guys can wee out of the window

Not at my age. Have you seen how high those windows are?

When I went on that very lift two summers ago, the place was rammed with far easterners wearing totally inappropriate gear. I think some may have had a very cold night.
ski holidays
Pruman wrote:
Quote:

I remember coming home one Friday on a "slam door" train , and all the loos were locked. Had to stand up foot on each seat and pee through the 2 inch gap at the top, not easy I can tell you.
snow report
blahblahblah wrote:
Pruman wrote:
Quote:

I remember coming home one Friday on a "slam door" train , and all the loos were locked. Had to stand up foot on each seat and pee through the 2 inch gap at the top, not easy I can tell you.

blahblahblah, that'll teach you for having a couple of pints before getting on the train... wink
snow report
Lifts close readily when people have paid for a weeks pass and the winds are high. I wonder if they're so keen to close them for the day tripper market?
ski holidays
Gotta admit I have had a laugh at this thread and these people in this unfortunate situation but I do feel for them.

I've been up the aguille du midi a few times and the once I I almost crawled back in to the lift and squatted in the corner. Don't know why but on this occasion I'd suffered altitude sickness which soon disappeared once we were on our way down.
If any of these "tourists" have never been to these heights before I'm sure a few are feeling quite ill...add to this the stench of urine and excrement it must be very unpleasant! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
I said those things were dangerous... . wink
latest report
BBC reporting all now rescued after the tension on the cables was released allowing them to be untangled. That in itself might have been a bit scary if they suddenly felt the cars dropping. Shocked Shocked
snow report
Quote:

add to this the stench of urine and excrement

if there are opening windows people should be able to organise chucking it out. Poly bags, drinks bottles, etc. Poo in your handbag and throw it out if necessary.

I well remember on a very wet camping holiday in Scotland peeing in a pineapple chunks tin (having eaten the pineapple.......). Had to be a wee bit careful about the jagged top, as we only had a fairly basic tin opener.

It's like a reality TV show.
latest report
Presumably the timescale allowed an army of ambulance chasing lawyers to greet them and persuade them that it had been the most traumatic experience of their life.........
snow report
pam w wrote:
Poo in your handbag and throw it out if necessary.

This is probably the only thing that would ever make my wife through out her Mulberry. NehNeh NehNeh NehNeh
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Worse things have happened to this pulse gondola in the past. In 1961 a jet flew into it killing 6.

http://footage.framepool.com/en/shot/121975429-cable-car-accident-zip-line-courmayeur-aid-measure

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vallée_Blanche_Cable_Car

wasn't there an incident like that in Italy more recently than 1961, mid to late 90's from memory, was an American fighter jet!!
ski holidays
I think having to defecate into your favourite bobblehat while catching eye contact with 5 other cabin residents *would* be classed as first world trauma.
ski holidays
@Peter S, found the report

http://www.nytimes.com/1998/02/04/world/20-die-in-italy-as-us-jet-cuts-a-ski-lift-cable.html
latest report
manicpb wrote:
Gotta admit I have had a laugh at this thread and these people in this unfortunate situation but I do feel for them.

I've been up the aguille du midi a few times and the once I crawled back in to the lift and squatted in the corner.

bet that was popular with other users !
snow report
The French don't have many loos, the Austrian's don't seem to know what a coin laundrette is.
Please Brits before you brexit, teach those Europeans about both.
snow report
@Alastair Pink, ahem, guilty as charged,
ski holidays
Dog owners will hopefully have had the means to dispose of their waste.
snow report
Quote:

This is probably the only thing that would ever make my wife through out her Mulberry

Laughing As the backpack I would usually have with me in a cable car cost a few euros from Decathlon I could probable bear to part with it.

@Richard_Sideways, I'm sure that in the more enterprising and co-operative groups a "human wall" could be devised to give the desperate person some privacy. Or perhaps a pecking order of sacrificing handbags - a bit like the men in the boat after their ship had sunk drawing lots to find who is going to be eaten first. Someone desperate to save their Mulberry could perhaps make an alternative offering, such as a share in their picnic. Or cash. Twisted Evil

First world trauma, as you say. How do people think Shackleton's crew in the James Caird managed? Laughing
latest report
@Hells Bells, that was exactly what I had said to OH a little while ago. Those dratted black bags pop out of pockets whenever you don't need them.
latest report
@cameronphillips2000,
Quote:

Lifts close readily when people have paid for a weeks pass and the winds are high. I wonder if they're so keen to close them for the day tripper market?

Just what I was thinking, our gondolas shut as soon as the breeze turns to wind.
latest report
@Hells Bells,
Quote:

Dog owners will hopefully have had the means to dispose of their waste.

No trees up there to tie those black poo bags to rolling eyes
ski holidays
@pam w, froze solid by the time it hit the ground; then you could bludgeon a seal with it for supper.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy