Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How many km's of piste do you need?

Poster: A snowHead
@beeryletcher, 1. The answer is 1.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 9-09-16 12:53; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@clarky999, Agreed mate, quality not quantity is the thing, also +1 for Schindler down to Stuben (why stop at Alpe Rauz?!) is awesome, as is from top of Riffel2 down to St Anton, proper leg burner. Some top stuff In Lech and Zurs too, big vertical drops. I've never been one for aps like ski tracks and the likes, how far have I been today etc, who cares? I'd rather stay local and do a few drops in one place and suss it out rather than chasing about.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@beeryletcher, +2!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm fortunate to live where I have some lovely walking opportunities right out of my door. I can head east round Chichester Harbour or west. For as long as I want, before turning round and coming back. It's never the same twice. The views and light are quite different depending on the state of the tide and the colour of the sky - not to mention my heading and the time of year. It's never the same twice.

Same walking out of my place in the Alps - some good walks straight out of the door, lots more within a very short drive. I've done all the "local" walks lots of times, in all weathers.

Am I bored? No. But undoubtedly some people would be, and would want to be in the car and driving somewhere new all the time. I like doing that too - the best walks in the South Downs are too far to reach on foot from home. And out in France, a trip down to Annecy to walk or cycle is a nice change. But the local walks are fine, most of the time.

I think the number of piste kms people "need" has a lot more to do with their boredom threshold than their skiing ability.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
+1 @pam w

I know I could probably keep myself entertained with a single piste that offered a bit of variety (and I have also come to terms with the indoors at Tamworth and Hemel). However It would be a leap of faith to go somewhere unknown in the hope that there was such a piste...
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
In the Summer 0.16km does nicely
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Lads ski planning trip conversation often includes the words "not going there, there aren't enough pistes for long-weekend/week and there aren't enough black runs and apres looks crap". So when we get to our chosen resort there is then the "have we done all the runs? Yes? Well let's go somewhere else then for the day otherwise we have to do some of them again" and "I'm not doing that black it looks too tough" and "I hate this cheesy europop (France, Italy, Switzerland)/disco oompah (Austria) it's f'ing crap aren't there any bars playing classic rock?". So we find the only bar playing "Classic Rock" and whilst the music is great the place is basically dead, there's no atmos and no cougars to letch after. I couldn't get them to stay in Kitzloch at Apres time for more than two beers rolling eyes
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@halfhand, New mates?! I had a conversation with a person who I recommended to go to St Anton.....so how was it? Yeah, OK but there's more to go at in Morzine, wont be going back next year, we've done that, we could only do Xkm a day on Ski Tracks, we do much more than that in France......aw alright then, each to their own Laughing
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
andy wrote:
It's a holiday. It's not just about maximising the time of skis on snow.

Shocked Shocked Shocked

It's both... for me... !

A slant on answering the question. A bigger ski area means more options. So it's got some trees for when the weather closes in, it's got some altitude to get above the valley cloud, it's got more aspects that can be used through the day, it's got the variety for different standards, and so on. I may not use it all, certainly not a day to day basis and it's more critical at certain times of the year or for certain groups. But it's a big factor for me.

That said I don't need 400km+ to have a great time (especially when there is a bit of pow) or for a shorter trip or when I was skiing with young children.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Markymark29 wrote:
@halfhand, New mates?!

I had the reverse problem with my local road cycling club. Same 5-6 loops, week after week after week.

I offered to do a different variation or start somewhere else and see something fresh (same driving distance from home for most), a few people joined me. The rest just do the same loop again. Those few who joined me enjoyed the new roads, new lunch spot, and new bar at the end of the ride. And want to do it again when I'm free.

After a while, it's just the same few mates who're going "exploring" with me. So I quit the cycling club and just ride with a small group of like minded mates.

Quote:
aw alright then, each to their own Laughing

Yep!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Coming from a real world test:

I have a place in Les Contamines and ski there most of the time. We were in our place 30 days last year. Our ski passes allow us to ski StG/Megeve requiring a 15 minute drive and we always have a car. We can get to Chamonix in 30-40 minutes. Les C has 120km of piste.

Last season we only made it to St G 2 days so spent 28 days skiing Les Contamines 120km. Of course, we ski off piste a lot so 120km doesnt tell the full story but still.

I don't need much mileage - variety and good snow holding terrain/elevation/altitude is much more important.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I can honestly say I have no idea. I never look at the amount of kms but just look at a piste map and think, "Oh, lots of nice long runs and different villages" or alternatively, "That place looks a bit small with only a couple of long runs". Didn't know people looked at actual numbers Confused .
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
maggi wrote:
I can honestly say I have no idea. I never look at the amount of kms but just look at a piste map and think, "Oh, lots of nice long runs and different villages" or alternatively, "That place looks a bit small with only a couple of long runs". Didn't know people looked at actual numbers Confused .

Same here
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w wrote:
Quote:

I'd sooner chose quality of run, low crowds, good scenery, considerate skiers and the odd decent (and cheap!) bar over a mega resort any day.

+1 Low crowds and good scenery are probably my top criteria. I am more and more intolerant of crowds and queues. Variety of runs is important but not sheer mileage.
This is what I would say. I avoid places with long ques etc, love nothing better than skiing straight back on the lift, I do like variation but Id rather a smaller resort with less ques than a huge one with massive crowds.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I def prefer to ski local quality.
And for those who love to stack up hundreds of kilometers each day, good luck and enjoy yourselves....but no i really don't want to see your super long unedited gopro footage of every bit of it later Smile
snow report
...this much (2.9km).

http://youtube.com/v/GBQ_S2P9o_A

Buchensteinwand – PillerseeTal, just 2 chairlifts and a few drags. 22km of pistes.

Wouldn't you just go back up the lift and do that run over and over again?
I don't get the 'never ski the same piste twice' thing. As others have also said, I'd much prefer to repeat an empty piste than struggle down a busy one I'd not done before.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 9-09-16 21:37; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Factors re pistes include how interesting they are and how empty they are to get the gas on. That said some pistes can't be redeemed by mere emptiness. Whatever that long piste is at the top of Meribel was only redeemed by how long a power slide I could do when Custardeo I I were the only people on it one EOSB day.
latest report
Drammeister wrote:
I don't get the 'never ski the same piste twice' thing.

Me neither... as much as I like to get out and explore the mountain, theres always that one piste that I will ski over and over again. Trying to perfect it. (delusions of downhill racer stuff) snowHead
snow report
@Markymark29, Laughing Laughing
snow report
Depends on snow quality.

In places where the snow is cr*p, like the European Alps, you need at least 200km front and backcountry to make it worthwhile.

Where the snow is creamy, like the US northern Rockies, 100km is enough.

Where the snow is deep and fluffy every other day, like northern Japan, 50km is enough.
ski holidays
As the OP and at risk of stating the obvious:
Obviously it depends upon a whole range of other factors such as crowds, weather, scenery, The runs themselves, etc. Etc. I rather thought all that went without saying and I'm certainly not one of those people who refuses to ski the same run twice. I probably get even more pleasure out of a run the second or third time I ski it, but ......

I'm unlikely to choose a ski resort with, say, 30km for a week's skiing holiday unless there were other significant factors.

I'm happy to ski runs multiple times, but I'm not sure I want to ski the same run six times a day, every day for a week. Added to which you do need a bit of choice. You might want softer South facing runs in the morning and less slushy North facing runs in the pm. You might want tree-lined runs for bad viz days and high altitude runs above the fog on other days.

That's why, all other things being equal, I'd probably look for resorts with about 100+.
snow report
FTZ posed the question about choosing a resort for a weeks skiing. I would agree with him and opt for at least 100 Kms. My current favourite is the Sella Ronda which has 300kms.

However for weekend skiing There is plenty on offer at Glencoe and even Yad moss and Raise Blush
snow report
foxtrotzulu wrote:
OK, I know this is a fairly frivolous question, but.... When choosing a resort for a week's skiing what is the minimum length of pistes that you would consider desirable?

0km would be the absolute minimum for me but I know places where 10 or so km would do depending on the snow conditions and other places where even 300km is tedious and boring.
ski holidays
halfhand wrote:
I couldn't get them to stay in Kitzloch at Apres time for more than two beers rolling eyes

WHAT!?? Shocked

Get new ski mates. The Kitzloch's fantastic.
ski holidays
@davidof, You would seriously consider spending an entire week at a ski resort with just 10km of piste? For the sake of argument we will assume that it has off-piste in proportion to on-piste. In other words, your 10k resort would have approximately 1/60th of the off-piste available in the 3V. Based upon my last week's skiing I would have skied the entire resort 24 times over in the week and have experienced every single run by about 10.30 on day one. Really?
snow report
Niseko apparently has 55km of pistes. I've travelled around the world to ski there for 10 days at a time, and would be happy to ski there all season long if I did full seasons.

Ruka apparently has 24km of pistes and I spent a very enjoyable week there last season.

St Foy apparently has 30km of pistes and is a great place to ski.
ski holidays
jedster wrote:
Coming from a real world test:

I have a place in Les Contamines and ski there most of the time. We were in our place 30 days last year. Our ski passes allow us to ski StG/Megeve requiring a 15 minute drive and we always have a car. We can get to Chamonix in 30-40 minutes. Les C has 120km of piste.

Last season we only made it to St G 2 days so spent 28 days skiing Les Contamines 120km. Of course, we ski off piste a lot so 120km doesnt tell the full story but still.

I don't need much mileage - variety and good snow holding terrain/elevation/altitude is much more important.

Like Jedster says LesC/StG pass gives access to 480Km but it rarely gets a mention on here, so Km of piste cant be the major factor for people picking a resort
snow conditions
foxtrotzulu wrote:
@davidof For the sake of argument we will assume that it has off-piste in proportion to on-piste. In other words, your 10k resort would have approximately 1/60th of the off-piste available in the 3V.

Doesn't really work like that though, as more pistes tends to mean there's less offpiste left. One lift and no pistes can and sometimes does mean more accessible offpiste than 10 lifts and 50 pistes. Plus there will likely be less people to share it with.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
foxtrotzulu wrote:
@davidof, You would seriously consider spending an entire week at a ski resort with just 10km of piste?

I'd consider a week in la Grave, for example.
ski holidays
Seven - for a normal afternoon's recreation.

If your mates want to spend a day doing the miles and seeing the scenery, then you need about 400.
snow report
Blimey, this serves me right for asking such an open question. When I made the point about assuming off-piste was in proportion with on-piste was making one last ditch attempt to get to the bottom of this issue. I suppose I should have asked 'How much skiing piste/off piste skiing area do you need for a week' or some such.
ski holidays
I think we've learned that one size doesn't fit all.
snow report
Right now I'd be happy with anything that has more than 160 metres snowHead
latest report
Zero km's

Stop the Brutal Grooming
snow report
Zero km's

Stop the Brutal Grooming
snow report
We'd be happy with 50km for a week. The Scandinavian resorts are not so big, and we had fun at Kvitfjell and Hafjell (Lillehammer) at Christmas with 40-50km each I think. As @maggi says, I just look at the piste map to get a feel for the place. Snow parks are important for my son, so we end up lapping those a lot anyway.
ski holidays
for a week 300kms minimum.
ski holidays
Quote:

For the sake of argument we will assume that it has off-piste in proportion to on-piste.

That really is a daft assumption, FTZ. wink
ski holidays
It's not about the length of the pistes, it's how you use them. (or so I've been told). We're talking skiing, right? wink
snow conditions
@Toadman, only ever said by someone with a short 'piste' wink
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy